- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Framework of Robot Interface Design with Aging Metaphor
노화 메타포를 적용한 로봇 인터페이스 디자인 프레임워크
- An, Hye Young (Graduate School of Techno Design, Kookmin University, Department of Interaction Design) ;
- Pan, Young Hwan (Graduate School of Techno Design, Kookmin University, Department of Interaction Design)
- Received : 2017.11.30
- Accepted : 2017.12.11
- Published : 2018.02.28
Objective: This study aims to apply the concept of aging metaphor to personal service robots to deliver new experiences to users. Background: Personal service robots such as Softbank's Pepper and MIT Media Lab's Jibo have begun entering our lives. These service robots have the important function of interacting with human beings. Method: The robot aging metaphor is to transform the shape, color, motion, voice, and texture, which are visual, auditory, and tactile components, by applying the concept of aging to the robot interface. The robot applied with the concept of aging metaphor forms a close relationship with human beings and provides emotional value to them. We summarize herein the concept of robot aging metaphor and propose an application method using the system and feature of the natural aging process in the real world through the prototype. Results: Robot aging metaphor structure and applied researches of robot aging metaphor are suggested in designing robot interfaces. Conclusion: The results of the design framework of robot aging metaphor will help users to experience emotional value interacting with robots. The framework which is suggested should be applied to social robots in appropriate contexts. Application: Types of aging process which provides optimizing user experience for users should be validated through an experiment.
- Baudrillard, J., The Consumer Society, Moonye, 1992.
- Choi, D.J., Atmospheric corrosion characteristics of rust formed on reinforcement steels, Yonsei University. 2007.
- Doopedia, http://www.encyber.com (retrieved Nov 3, 2017).
- Duane, S., Growth psychology, Ewhapress, 2001.
- Fong, T., Nourbakhsh, I. and Dautenhahn, K., A survey of socially interactive robots. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 42(3), 143-166, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8890(02)00372-X
- Hong, H.J. and Kim, S.J., Vocal Range of Older Adults in Comparison with Young Adults Depending on the Presence of Pitch Cues, Journal of The Korea Contents Association, 16(4), 377-386, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.04.377
- ISO, http://www.iso.org (retrieved Oct 27, 2017).
- Jung, J.S., Park, J.K., Choe, J.H. and Jung, E.S., A Cross-cultural Study on the Affection of Color with Variation of Tone and Chroma for Automotive Visual Display, Journal of Ergonomics Society of Korea, 36(2), 2017. doi: dx.doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2017.36.2.123 https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2017.36.2.123
- Kim, D.W., Shin, D.J., Lee, S.J., Chung, S.L. and Kim, J.C., Statistical and Clinical Study of Gray Hair, Korean Journal of Dermatology, 1999.
- Kim, E., Chang, Y.J., Heo, S.C. and Hong, S.S., A Study on Factors of Human-Robot Interaction, Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 7(2), 77-87, 2006.
- Kim, H.B., An Illusory Character of the Contemporary Society and J. Baudrillard's Concept of Simulacre, Research in Philosophy and Phenomenology, 60, 5-33, 2014.
- Kim, K.M., The guideline for the color harmony to reduce decolorization of the exterior: Focused on concrete buildings on coastal areas, Ewha Womans University, 2012.
- Kim, J.M., Jeon, S.W., Lee, W.G., Nam, H.J. and Kim, Y.B., Study of Preventing Methods for Skin Aging and Wrinkles, Journal of Physiology & Pathology in Korean Medicine, 24(4), 533-542, 2010.
- Kim, J.N., Smart phone interface metaphor design based on affordance theory, Sejong University, 2013.
- Kim, S.H., A Study on the Interrelation between the Metaphor and Digital Communication in Multimedia Design, Journal of Korean Society Design Culture, 13(3), 10-17, 2007.
- Kim, W.J., Kang, J.W., Yeom, J.S., Kim, K.H., Jung, Y.H, Lee, S.H. and Choy, W.S., A Comparative Analysis of Sagittal Spinal Balance in 100 Asymptomatic Young and Older Aged Volunteers, Journal of Korean Spine Surgm, 10(4), 327-334, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4184/jkss.2003.10.4.327
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Home Page, http://health.cdc.go.kr (retrieved Oct 27, 2017).
- Lee, E.Y., Visualizing the aging process in the digital interface: "The aging metaphor", Kookmin University, 2012.
- Lee, G.E., Kim, S.M., Choe, J.H and Jung, E.S., The Effects of Multi-Modality on the Use of Smart Phones, Korean Society of Color Studies, 33(3), 241-253, 2014. doi:dx.doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2014.33.3.241 https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2014.33.3.241
- Lee, J.H., A study of input/output path to Auditory Stimulation, Kookmin University, 2008.
- Maggie, M., Design by Nature, Gilbut, 2012.
- Min, K.W., Understanding of Design, Mijinsa, 1995.
- Naver dictionary Home Page, http://krdic.naver.com (retrieved Nov 20, 2017).
- Paik, S.H. and Kim, M.S., A Study on the Design of Visual-Auditory Haptic Interface - With emphasis on embodying Haptics using Visual and Auditory perception, Archives of Design Research, 15-25, 2001.
- Park, Y.S., A aesthetic study of the reflective design, Journal of Digital Design, 8(1), 99-110, 2008(a).
- Park, Y.S., An analysis of the emotional desirn: focused on Donald A. Norman's design psychology, Hongik University, 2008(b).
- Robert, E.R. and Caleb, E.F., Aging: A natural history, Sciencebooks, 2006.
- Size Korea Home Page, http://sizekorea.kats.go.kr (retrieved Nov 20, 2017).
- Steve, D., Nathan, S. and Darrel, R., Making Meaning: How Successful Businesses Deliver Meaningful Customer Experiences, Readlead PUB., 2008.
- Technology Roadmap for SME 2017-2019, Small and Medium Business Administration, 2017.
- Yang, S.M., Development of intuitive user interface design and practical application for improving user's cognitive ability and product usability, Ministry of Commerce Industry and Energy, 1999.
- Yeom, I.S., A study on design marketing that sensibility element is applied to: Centering on the configuration of visual, acoustic and tactual image, Kookmin University, 2004.
- Yim, A.R., Kim, H.H., Kim, S.R. and Yoo, H.J., Review on Age-related Voice Changes and Quality of Life, Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 17(1), 259-276, 2013.
- Waneen, W.S, Karen, L.F. and Priscilla, G.M., Physical Dimensions of Aging, Daehan media, 2006.
- Whang, S.M. and Kwon, B.M., A study on Human Color Sensibility according to Psychological Color Image Scale (PCIS), Korean Society of Color Studies, 19(1), 13-25, 2005.