- Volume 30 Issue 2
This paper is to show how electronic game components can galvanize into the outdated regions. The purpose of this study is to research on game mechanics and PX(player experience) for the interactive urban regeneration design with gamification. Urban regeneration involves the old public, private and community sectors to improve the quality of urban life and to reach a sustainable development of urban economic. The gamification is the idea of using game-thinking and game mechanics to solve problem and engage players, so theoretical background of gamification is based on game design studies such as game components and MDA framework which consists of mechanics, dynamics, and aesthetics. Most of researchers regard game mechanics as game components and converse, but game mechanics is representative of these two terms. So this paper treats game mechanics as the first effective factor for successful urban renewal. Such games which have huge fans bring the powerful and manipulated user experience, a well-gamified applications can provide players (stand for users, audiences, customers, clients, buyers, learners, patients, soldiers, etc) with the supreme user experience, aka PX(player experience) causing playful behavior and a positive mindset. The main goal of gamification of urban regeneration is to encourage greater engagement in renewed town people(player) and aiding in creating richer experiences in everyday life events through game mechanics and PX. Also this paper shows tens of gamification ideas for interactive urban revitalization.
Supported by : Dong Yang University
- JT Kim,WH Lee, "Dynamical Model for Gamification@ Learning", Journal of The Korean Society for Computer Game 26(1), p217-220, 2013.3.
- Open Seminar(Gamification in Korea) from http://www.slideshare.net/santasong/gamification-korea-19540588
- JT Kim et al., "Gamification : Play the World", Korea Game Society, p24,35, 2014
- Urban Regeneration from Naver http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=931347&cid=43667&categoryId=43667
- GC Park et al. A Study on the Urban Regeneration Strategic Framework and Practical Strategies, U.K., 2011. Quoted in Roberts, P. and Sykes, H. Urban Regeneration: A Handbook, SAGE Publications, 2000.
- JS Park et al., Recognition and Policy Changes through the Comparing of the Historical Background and causes of the Urban Regeneration, Architectural Institute of Korea 14(1), 2012.3.
- JM Won. The Urban Regeneration Theory and Experience, Landscape Architecture Books, 2012.
- JH Kyunne. Study on Values for Urban resuscitation by the context of Grands Projects (Etude sur les valeurs applicables a reanimation urbaine par le context de Grands Projets ), Association Culturelle Franco-Coreennie 21, p99-104, 2010.
- Zichermann, G., Cunningham, C.: Gamification by Design: mplementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps. O'Reilly ,2011.
- JT Kim. A Study of Humanities in Games for 'PX(Player Experience) in Gamification, Korean Society for Computer Game 28(2), 2015.
- Deterding, S., Dixon, D., Khaled, R., Nacke, L.: From Game Design Elements to Gamefulness: Defining Gamification. In: Proceedings of MindTrek, 2011.
- Werbach, K. & Hunter, D. For the win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize. Your Business, Wharton Digital Press, 2012.
- Zichermann, G. & Linder, J. The Gamification Revolution: How leaders leverage game mechanics to crush the competition. New York:McGraw-Hill Education, 2013.
- Duggan, K and Shoup, K., Business Gamification for Dummies. Hoboken: Wiley and Sons, 2013
- Kumar, J., Herger, M. , Gamification at Work: Designing Engaging Business Software. Aarhus, Denmark, The Interaction Design Foundation,,2013.http://www.interaction-design.org/books/gamification_at_work.html
- Chou, Yu-Kai. Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards. Fremont: Octalysis Media, 2015.
- JT Kim et al, Introduction to Gamification, Hongrung Pub, P47, 2016.
- JH Lee et al., Study on applying the concept of gamification into architecture planning, Architectural Institute of Korea 32(2), p180-181, 2012.
- Lemos, A., Locative media and informational territories: Mobile communication and new sense of place. A critique of spatialization in cyberculture, 2008.
- Azuma, R. T. A Survey of Augmented Reality. In Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environment, 1997.
- JT Kim et al.,Gamification:Play the World. Korea Game Society, P50, 2014.
- JT Kim et al., "Gamification Movement : Gamification@" , Journal of The Korean Society for Computer Game 25(4), p214, 2012.12,
- JT Kim, WH Lee, "Dynamical Model for Gamification", Multimed Tools Appl, 2013.