- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Prestress and excitation force identification in a prestressed concrete box-girder bridge
- Xiang, Ziru (School of Civil Engineering and Built Environment, Queensland University of Technology) ;
- Chan, Tommy H.T. (School of Civil Engineering and Built Environment, Queensland University of Technology) ;
- Thambiratnam, David P. (School of Civil Engineering and Built Environment, Queensland University of Technology) ;
- Nguyen, Andy (School of Civil Engineering and Built Environment, Queensland University of Technology)
- Received : 2017.07.25
- Accepted : 2017.08.19
- Published : 2017.11.25
Prestress force identification (PFI) is crucial to maintain the safety of prestressed concrete bridges. A synergic identification method has been proposed recently by the authors that can determine the prestress force (PF) and the excitation force simultaneously in prestressed concrete beams with good accuracy. In this paper, the ability of this method in the application with prestressed concrete box-girder bridges is demonstrated. A reasonable assumption is made to capture the similarity of the dynamic behavior of the prestressed concrete box-girder bridge and a beam under a certain loading scenario, and the feasibility of this method for application in a prestressed box-girder bridge is affirmed. A comprehensive laboratory test program is conducted, and the effects of PF, excitation, measuring time and uncertainties are studied. Results show that the proposed method can predict the PF and the excitation force in a prestressed concrete box-girder accurately and has a great robustness against uncertainties.
- Bazant, Z.P., Yu, Q. and Li, G.H. (2012), "Excessive long-time deflections of prestressed box girders. I: Record-span bridge in palau and other paradigms", J. Struct. Eng., 138(6), 676-686. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000487
- Choquet, P. and Miller, F. (1988), "Development and field testing of a tension measuring gauge for cable bolts used as ground support", CIM Bullet., 81(914), 53-59.
- Dall'asta, A. and Dezi, L. (1996), "Discussion of "prestress force effect on vibration frequency of concrete bridges", J. Struct. Eng., 122, 458-458. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:4(458)
- Geller, L. and Udd, J. (1992), "NDT of wire ropes with E/M instruments: An examination of operational conditions in Canada", CIM Bullet., 85(964), 60-67.
- Hussin, M., Chan, T.H., Fawzia, S. and Ghasemi, N. (2015), "Finite element modelling of lamb wave propagation in prestress concrete and effect of the prestress force on the wave's characteristic".
- Jacquelin, E., Bennani, A. and Hamelin, P. (2003), "Force reconstruction: Analysis and regularization of a deconvolution problem", J. Sound Vibr., 265(1), 81-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(02)01441-4
- Kim, J.T., Ryu, Y.S. and Yun, C.B. (2003), "Vibration-based method to detect prestress loss in beam-type bridges", Smart Struct. Mater., 5057(1), 55-568.
- Kolakowski, P., Wiklo, M. and Holnicki-Szulc, J. (2008), "The virtual distortion method-a versatile reanalysis tool for structures and systems", Struct. Multidiscipl. Optim., 36(3), 217-234. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-007-0158-7
- Law, S.S. and Lu, Z. (2005), "Time domain responses of a prestressed beam and prestress identification", J. Sound Vibr., 288(4), 1011-1025. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2005.01.045
- Lozev, M.G., Clark, A.V. and Fuchs, P.A. (1996), Application of Electromagnetic-Acoustic Transducers for Nondestructive Evaluation of Stresses in Steel Bridge Structures.
- Lu, Z. and Law, S.S. (2006), "Identification of prestress force from measured structural responses", Mech. Syst. Sign. Proc., 20(8), 2186-2199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2005.09.001
- Materazzi, A., Breccolotti, M., Ubertini, F. and Venanzi, I. (2009), "Experimental modal analysis for assessing prestress force in PC bridges: A sensitivity study", Proceedings of the 3rd International Operational Modal Analysis Conference.
- Miyamoto, A., Tei, K., Nakamura, H. and Bull, J.W. (2000), "Behavior of prestressed beam strengthened with external tendons", J. Struct. Eng., 126(9), 1033-1044. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:9(1033)
- Ni, Y.Q., Kim, J.T., Ho, D.D., Kim, J.T., Stubbs, N. and Park, W.S. (2012), "Prestress-force estimation in PSC girder using modal parameters and system identification", Adv. Struct. Eng., 15(6), 997-1012. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43184.108.40.2067
- Pei, C. and Demachi, K. (2011), "Numerical simulation of residual stress measurement with acoustic wave", E-J. Adv. Mainten., 2, 160-167.
- Saiidi, M., Douglas, B. and Feng, S. (1994), "Prestress force effect on vibration frequency of concrete bridges", J. Struct. Eng., 120(7), 2233-2241. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:7(2233)
- Velez, W., Cruz, A. and Thomson, P. (2010), "Identification of prestress forces using genetic algorithms and generic element matrices", Proceedings of the AIP Conference, 1281(1), 1223-1227.
- Weischedel, H.R. (1985), "The inspection of wire ropes in service: A critical review", Mater. Eval., 43(13), 1592-1594.
- Weischedel, H.R. and Hoehle, H.W. (1995), "Quantitative nondestructive in-service evaluation of stay cables of cablestayed bridges: Methods and practical experience", Nondestr. Eval. Aging Infrastr.
- Xiang, Z., Chan, T., Thambiratnam, D. and Nguyen, T. (2015), "Prestress force and moving load identification on prestressed concrete beam based on virtual distortion method", Proceedings of the World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics.
- Xiang, Z., Chan, T.H., Thambiratnam, D.P. and Nguyen, T. (2016), "Synergic identification of prestress force and moving load on prestressed concrete beam based on virtual distortion method", Smart Struct. Syst., 17(6), 917-933. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.917
- Xu, J. and Sun, Z. (2011), "Prestress force identification for eccentrically prestressed concrete beam from beam vibration response", Struct. Long., 5(2), 107-115.
- Zhang, Q., Jankowski, L. and Duan, Z. (2008), "Identification of coexistent load and damage based on virtual distortion method", Proceedings of the 4th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Krakow, Poland.
- Zhang, Q., Jankowski, L. and Duan, Z. (2010), "Simultaneous identification of moving masses and structural damage", Struct. Multidiscipl. Optim., 42(6), 907-922. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-010-0528-4
- Zhang, Q., Jankowski, L. and Duan, Z. (2012), "Simultaneous identification of excitation time histories and parametrized structural damages", Mech. Syst. Sign. Proc., 33, 56-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2012.06.018