- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Type and Characteristics of Korean Sport Star' TV Commercial by Period
시대별 한국 스포츠 스타 TV광고의 형태와 특성
- Yi, Eun-Surk (Dept. of Exercise Rehabilitation Welfare, Gachon University)
- 이은석 (가천대학교 운동재활복지학과)
- Received : 2017.08.01
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the change of the type and characteristics of Korean sports star TV commercials and to deeply investigate the relationship with social contexts and backgrounds. In order to solve the purpose of this study, This study collected data of 38,517 TV advertisements from 1970 to 2009, and analyzed data of 146 media contents. The results obtained are as follows. First, Korean sports star TV commercials showed a steady increase with the economic growth and media development of Korea, and the percentage of total TV advertisements was low. Second, sports star TV advertising plays a role of expanding the sports industry, but it shows that the efficiency of relationship persistence decreases without social situation and public recognition.
- H. K. Lee, "Understanding Advertising. SEOUL: Ewha Womans University Press.", 2016.
- D. L Andrews, "Michael Jordan, Inc.: Corporate sport, media culture, and late modern America. SUNY Press." 2001.
- D. L. Andrews, & S. J. Jackson, Sport Stars: the cultural politics of sporting celebrity. London: Routledge. 2001.
- Y. M. Kim, & J. W. Lee, "An Influence of the Celebrity Athlete Endorser's Attribute on the Effects of Advertisement - Focused on Type of Positive Information", Advertising Research, Vol. Spring, No. 66, pp. 39-57, 2005.
- J. Agrawal, & W. A. Kamakura, "The Economic Worth of Celebrity Endorses: An Event Study Analysis." Journal of Marketing, Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 56-62, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252119
- C. Atkin, & M. Block, "Effectiveness of Celebrity Endorsers." Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, 57-61, 1983.
- J. B. Freiden, "Advertising Spokesperson Effect: An Examination of Endorser Type Gender on Two Audiences." Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 33-41, 1984.
- H. Friedman, & L. Friedman, "Endorser Effectiveness by Product Type." Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 267-359, 1979.
- J. H. Kim, "A Study on the Advertising Effects of Celebrity Endorser." Advertising Research, Vol. 52, pp. 7-24, 2001.
- H. B. Lee, & Y. G. Jung, "The Impact of Celebrity Endorsers' Credibility and Attractiveness on Attitude Toward Advertisements and Brands." The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 167-181, 1997.
- L. K. Mathur, I. Mathur, & N. Rangan, "The Wealth Effects Associated with a Celebrity Endorser: The Michael Jordan Phenomenon." Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 67-73, 1997.
- B. D. Till, "Managing Athlete Endorser Image: The Effect of Endorsement Product." Sport Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 35-42, 2001.
- M. J. Jones, & D. W. Schumann, "The Strategic Use of Celebrity Athlete Endorsers in Sports Illustrated: An Historic Perspective." Sport Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 65-76, 2000.
- J. A. Stevens, A. H. Lathrop, & C. L. Bradish, "Who is Your Hero?: Implications for Athlete Endorsement Strategies." Sport Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 103-110, 2003.
- E. H. Koh, "Affective Body, Nationalism and Consumer Capitalism: Consumption and Reproduction of Celebrated Bodies though Media" Korean Journal of Sociology of Sport, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 63-78, 2011. https://doi.org/10.22173/jksss.2011.24.1.63
- B. R. Moon, M. J. Choi, & W. J. Seo, "The Semiotic Meaning and Ideology on Female Sport Star in Television Advertisement : Focusing on the Yuna Kim and Yeonjae Son's Advertisement of KB Financial Group" Korean Journal of Sociology of Sport, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 43-65, 2015.
- S. G. Baek, & D. Son "Representations on sexuality of female sports stars in TV advertisement and their ideological implications: A Semiotic analysis on TV advertisements of two Korean female sports stars" Semiotic Inquiry, Vol. 33, pp. 199-239, 2012.
- J. W. Lee, "Yuna Kim in Television Advertising and Her Celebrity hood: Representation of a Nationalist Ideology and a Gender Identity" Korean Journal of Sociology of Sport, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 1-17, 2009.
- R. D. Wimmer, & J. R. Dominick, "Mass media research: An introduction(5th ed). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth." 1997.
- I. S. Shin, "Advertising in Korea, Seoul: SiSa", 1989.
- I. S. Shin, & B. S. Seo, "The History of Advertising in Korea, Seoul: Communicationbooks", 2015.
- J. H. Lee, "The Change of Value on Physical Activity Followed by Social Transitions in Korea." Philosophy of Movement: Journal of Korean Philosophic Society for Sport and Dance, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 1-12. 2006.
- Korea Advertising Society "Advertising in Korea, Gyeonggi: Nanam Publshing House", 1996.
- S. P. Han, S. H. Kim, & H. J. Shin, "A survey of the advertising agency about the opening Korean advertising market" The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 13, No, 3, pp. 233-255, 2002.
- E. K. C, & H. S. Song, "Sport and Human: Philosophical Quest of Homo sportivus, Daegu: yimunbooks", 2002.
- I. Rein, P. Kotler, & B. Shields, "THE Elusive Fan: Reinventing Sports in a Crowded Marketplace, NY: McGraw-Hill.", 2006.
- D. Rowe, "Popular Culture: Rock Music, Sport and the Politics of Pleasure. CA: Sage." 1995.
- J. G. Seo, & M. I. Choi, "A Study on Sport Star Image Components and Sports Involvement." The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 515-525, 2003.
- H. Jung, & J. Y. Lee, "Ideology Characteristics of Korean Women Sports Celebrity through Newspaper Articles on Yeonjae Son" The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 119-128, 2003.
- R. Giulianotti, "Football: A Sociology of the Global Game. Cambridge: Polity Press." 1999.
- Y. M. Kim, "Sport Marketing Communication. Seoul: Hakhyunsa." 2010.