- Volume 8 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Challenges and Growth in Convergence Research: A Grounded Theory Qualitative Analysis of Researchers' Experience and Perception
융합연구에서의 도전과 성장: 연구자의 경험과 인식에 대한 근거이론 질적 분석
- Song, In Han (Graduate School of Social Welfare, Health & Mental Health Lab, Yonsei University) ;
- You, Jung Won (Graduate School of Social Welfare, Health & Mental Health Lab, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Eun Jung (Graduate School of Social Welfare, Health & Mental Health Lab, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Ji Eun (Graduate School of Social Welfare, Health & Mental Health Lab, Yonsei University)
- 송인한 (연세대학교 사회복지대학원 정신건강.보건복지연구실) ;
- 유정원 (연세대학교 사회복지대학원 정신건강.보건복지연구실) ;
- 이은정 (연세대학교 사회복지대학원 정신건강.보건복지연구실) ;
- 김지은 (연세대학교 사회복지대학원 정신건강.보건복지연구실)
- Received : 2017.07.03
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
Despite the recent importance of interdisciplinary convergence research, little has been studied on the detailed experience while conducting convergence research in Korea. To deeper understand challenges and overcoming in convergence research and to suggest an administrative system for it, by analyzing researchers experience and cognition while conducting their actual convergence research, in-depth interviews with 16 full-time faculty members with expertise in convergence research and research administration in a university and analyzed the interviews by using the paradigm model of grounded theory. The results show that the core phenomenon researchers experienced is that "convergence research is not being effectively conducted," and they experience growth in research through pursuing efforts and improving research atmosphere in various aspects. Based on these findings, we made several suggestions for promoting convergence research.
최근 강조되는 학제 간 융합연구의 중요성에도 불구하고 융합연구에서의 구체적인 경험에 대한 연구가 우리나라에서 거의 이뤄지지 않았다. 융합연구를 진행한 연구자의 실제 경험과 인식을 분석함으로써 융합연구의 현실적 도전과 성장을 이해하고 융합연구 증진을 위한 제도를 제안하기 위하여, 국내 한 대학교 내 융합연구 및 융합연구행정 전문가 전임교원 16명을 심층면접하고 근거이론의 패러다임 모형을 사용하여 분석하였다. 연구 결과, 현재 융합연구자들이 경험한 중심현상은 '융합연구가 효과적으로 이루어지지 못하고 있음'으로 나타났으며, 다양한 노력과 연구 환경 개선을 통해 융합연구의 성장을 경험하는 것이 발견되었다. 이러한 결과를 바탕으로 융합연구 증진을 위한 방안을 제안하였다.
Supported by : 연세대학교
- I. H. Song, J. W. You, E. J. Lee, S. M. Shin, J. E. Kim, S. D. Jun, H. Y. Kim, H. J. Kim, Current Status and development plan of convergence research in Yonsei University, 2016.
- T. J Lee, "Policy Direction for Interdisciplinary Convergence Research Grants", Korean Comparative Government Review, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 101-122, 2014. https://doi.org/10.18397/kcgr.2014.18.3.101
- S. H. Han, J. U. Kyung, "Empirical Analysis for Promotion of Integrated Research: Focused on the Difference of Recognition between All Disciplines", Korean Policy Studies Review, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 151-178, 2011.
- J. K. Hong, "A Perspective Study of the Theological Aesthetics considered in Convergency Engineering Technology", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 2, pp. 1-8, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.001
- Y. H. Lee, H. Jin. Cho, J. H. Lee, "Implementation of Educational Service for Environmental Saver using Smart Device", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 1-8, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.1
- J. I. Yi, J. S. Han, "A study on developing a Learning material Screening system for improving foreign language learning efficiency," Journal of Convergence for Information Technology , Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 87-92, 2017. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.1.087
- D. H. Kim, A. Y. Kim, E. H. Kang, "Experiences of interdisciplinary research in Korean higher education", The Journal of Curriculum Studies, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 265-287, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15708/kscs.29.4.201112.012
- P. Leavy, (I. H. Song, translated), Essentials of Transdisciplinary Research: Using Problem- Centered Methodologies, Parkyoung-story Publishing, 2015.
- G. M. Crow, L. Levin, N. Nager, "Are three heads better than one? Reflection on doing collaborative interdisciplinary research", American Educational research Journal, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 737-753, 1992. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312029004737
- C. M. Sa, " 'Interdisciplinary Strategies' in U.S. research universities", Higher Education, 55, pp. 537-552. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-007-9073-5
- A. Short, A. Holdgate, N. Ahern, J. Morri, "Enhancing research interest and collaboration in the interdisciplinary context of emergency care", Journal of Interprofessional Care, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 156-168, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/13561820802675566
- D. J. Shin, Y. W. Kim, H. S. Hwan, J. U. Kyung, "Promoting Interdisciplinary Research : Focused on the Complexity based Interdisciplinary Research Funding Program in Central Government of USA, UK, Swiss, and Korea", Journal of Policy Development, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 163-190, 2011.
- D. Y Kim, H. J Bae, H. S Oh, S. O Yoo, "The developmental dynamics and success factors of an interdisciplinary education system", The Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 21-51, 2013.
- B. U. Lee, "A Study on the Moral Values Needed in the Convergence Research", Elementary Moral Education, Vol. 46, pp. 55-88, 2014.
- K. M. Nair, L. Dolovich, K. Brazil, P. Raina, "It'a all about relationships: A qualitative study of health researcher's perspective of conducting interdisciplinary health research", BCM Health Services Research, Vol. 8, No. 110, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- A. F. Repko, Interdisciplinary research : Process and Theory, SAGE, 2009.
- J. L. Thompson, "Building collective communication competence in interdisciplinary research teams", Journal of Applied Communication Research, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 278-297, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/00909880903025911
- I. Seto, L. Dent, "Junior researchers' experience of innovation in a multidisciplinary team environment", Knowledge Management Research & Practice, Vol. 9, pp.95-97. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1057/kmrp.2010.28
- H. Karal, T. Bahcekapili, "New Perspective to educational technology: interdisciplinary cooperation. -an example of faculties of education and engineering", The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 132-142, 2010.
- S. M. Adams, N. C. Carter, C. R. Hadlock, D. M. Haughton, G. Sirbu, "Proactive encouragement of interdisciplinary research teams in a business school environment: Strategy and results", Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 153-164, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/13600800801938754
- H. S. Oh, H. J. Bae, D. Y. Kim, "Interdisciplinary Researchers: How did they cross the boundaries and do interdisciplinary research?", Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 297-335, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2012.13.4.013
- M. R. HongHyun, Qualitative Research in Social Work, Hakjisa, 2008.
- A. Strauss, J. Corbin, Basics of qualitative research: Grounded theory procedures and techniques (2nd). Newbury Park, London: Sage. 1998.
- H. H. Bauer, "Barriers Against Interdisciplinarity: Implications for Studies of Science, Technology and Society (STS)", Science, Technology, & Human Values, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 105-119, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/016224399001500110
- L. M. Campbell, "Overcoming obstacles to interdisciplinary research", Conservation biology, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 574-577, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-1739.2005.00058.x