- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Social Supports, Psychological Behaviors, and Stress on the Depression Symptoms of College Students -Validation of Casual Model using Covariance Structure Analysis-
대학생의 사회적지지, 심리적 행동특성 및 스트레스가 우울수준에 미치는 영향 -공분산구조분석에 의한 인과모델의 검증-
- Park, Ui-Su (Department of Medical Administration Information, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology) ;
- Cho, Young-Chae (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, College of medicine, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2017.03.20
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study examined the influence of social support (social support from family, social support from friends), psychological behavioral characteristics (self-esteem, interpersonal dependency, locus of control), and stress on the depression levels of college students. The study subjects were 546 college students in D city. The survey was conducted using a self-administered questionnaire in October 2015. As a result, the depression levels were significantly higher in the group showing lower family and friends' social support, self-esteem, and locus of control, while it was significantly higher in the group showing higher interpersonal dependency and stress. The depression levels of the subjects showed a negative correlation with family and friends' social support, self-esteem, and locus of control, but a positive correlation with interpersonal dependency and stress. Covariance structure analysis revealed an increase in the depression levels of college students when the awareness of the stress source was higher, and when the awareness of social support or psychological behavioral characteristics was lower. These results suggest that the depression levels of college students would be increased when the social support and psychological behavioral characteristics are low, and when stress is high. In particular, it was influenced much more by stress than other factors. Therefore, to decrease the depression levels of college students, it would be necessary to put efforts to understand their main stress sources and then reduce them.
본 연구는 대학생의 사회적 지지(가족의 사회적 지지, 친구의 사회적 지지), 심리적 행동특성(자기존중감, 대인의존행동특성, 통제신념) 및 스트레스가 우울수준에 미치는 영향을 알아보기 위해 실시하였다. 조사대상은 D광역시의 남녀 대학생 546명으로 하였으며, 연구방법은 2015년 10월에 자기기입식 설문조사에 의하였다. 연구결과, 조사대상자의 우울수준은 가족의 사회적 지지, 친구의 사회적 지지, 자기존중감 및 통제신념이 높은 군보다 낮은 군에서 유의하게 높은 반면, 대인의존행동 특성과 스트레스가 낮은 군보다 높은 군에서 유의하게 높았다. 또한, 조사대상자의 우울수준은 가족의 사회적 지지, 친구의 사회적 지지, 자기존중감 및 통제신념과는 유의한 음의 상관관계를 보인 반면, 대인의존행동특성 및 스트레스와는 유의한 양의 상관관계를 보였다. 공분산 구조분석 결과, 스트레스원의 인지는 사회적 지지의 인지나 심리적 행동특성보다 우울수준에 더 큰 영향을 미쳤으며, 스트레스원의 인지가 높을수록, 사회적 지지의 인지나 심리적 행동특성이 낮을수록 우울수준을 증가시키는 효과가 있는 것으로 나타났다. 위와 같은 결과는 대학생들의 우울수준은 사회적 지지와 심리적 행동특성이 낮고, 스트레스가 높을 경우 증가한다는 것을 시사하고 있으며, 특히 다른 요인들보다 스트레스에 의해 더 큰 영향을 받고 있음을 알 수 있다. 따라서 대학생들의 우울수준을 감소시키기 위해서는 학생들이 경험하는 주요 스트레스원이 무엇인지 파악하고 스트레스원을 감소시키기 위한 노력이 필요하다고 생각된다.
Supported by : 대전보건대학교
- Korea National Statistical Office. Annual Report on the Cause of Death Statistics. http://kosis.kr, 2016.
- Ji EM, Cho YC., The association of self-esteem and social support with depressive symptoms in college students, Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2996-3006, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2996 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2996
- Li W., The relationship between perceived stress and depression and anxiety in college students: the effect of social support. Chinese J of Clinical Psychology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 108-110, 2003.
- Wright KB, Rosenberg J, Egbert N, Ploeger., Communication competence, social support, and depression among college students: A model of face book and face-to-face support network influence. J of Health Communication, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 41-57, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2012.688250 https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2012.688250
- LaRocco J.M., House JS, French JRP., Social support, occupational stress, and health. J Health Soc Behav, 21, pp. 202-218, 1980. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2136616 https://doi.org/10.2307/2136616
- Engel M., The stability of the self concept in adolescence. J Abnorm Social Psychol 58, pp. 211-215, 1959. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/h0043088 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0043088
- Park J. W., A study to development a scale of social support, Doctor's thesis, Graduate School of Yonsei University, 1985
- Yun HJ, Perception of everyday stress and social network support in adolescence. master's thesis, Graduate School of Seoul University, 1993.
- Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400876136
- Hirschfeld RMA. A measure of interpersonal dependency. J of Personality Assessment, 41, pp. 129-133, 1977.
- McDonald-Scott. The interpersonal dependency inventory Japanese Short Form: development and evaluation. Kango Kenkyu, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 451-60, 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4106_6
- Levenson H., Multidimensional locus of control in psychiatric patients. J Cons Clin Psychol, 41, pp. 397-404, 1973. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/h0035357 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0035357
- Goldberg D., Manual of the General Health Questionnaire. Nfer-Nelson, 1978
- Chang S. J., Standardization of collection and measurement of health statistics data. The Korean Society for Preventive Medicine. Seoul, pp. 92-143. 2000.
- Zung WWK., A self-rating depression scale. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 12, pp. 63-70, 1965. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1965.01720310065008 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1965.01720310065008
- Kahn R. L., Organizational stress: studies in role conflict and ambiguity. New York: Wiley, 1964.
- Jenkins S. R., Belange A, Connally ML, Boa. First-generation undergraduate students' social support, depression, and life satisfaction. J of College Counseling, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 129-142. 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-1882.2013.00032.x https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-1882.2013.00032.x
- Harris T. L., Cultural orientation, family cohesion, and family support in suicide ideation and depression among African American college students. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 341-353. 2000.
- Eom T. W., Relation factors of hopelessness among adolescents and their suicidal ideation: regarding social support effect, Korean Youth Research Association, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 211-237, 2008.
- Hong Y. S., The influence of their parent's abuse on depression of children: the effects of self-esteem, mental health & social work, 36, pp. 64-81, 2010.
- Choi H. C., The reciprocal relationship between self-esteem and depression: testing the vulnerability model, the scar model, and the reciprocal effects model, Korean Journal of Counselling, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 2251-2271, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.6.201112.2251 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.6.201112.2251
- Han G. B., Relationship between perceived parental attachment in childhood and depression of college students: mediating effects of self-esteem and adult attachment, Korea Journal of Counseling, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 3065-3087, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.5.201310.3065 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.5.201310.3065
- Lee S. J., The effect of sense of social connectedness and autonomy on college adjustment and subjective well-being among university students: testing a mediation effect of interpersonal problems, Korean Journal of School Psychology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 229-248, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.16983/kjsp.2009.6.2.229 https://doi.org/10.16983/kjsp.2009.6.2.229
- Han NR, Lee DG, Validation of he Korean version of the interpersonal competence questionnaire in Korean college students, Korean Journal of Counseling And Psychotherapy. 22, no. 1, pp. 137-156, 2010.
- Koo HK, Kim JN, The relations between covert narcissism and psychological maladjustment: the mediating effect of internalized shame, maladaptive perfectionism, and perceived social support, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 609-636, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.15.2.201404.609
- Han KS, Self efficacy, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress among university students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 585-592, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.3.585 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.3.585
- Lester D., College students stressor, depression, and suicidal ideation. Psycho. Repo, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 293-296, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2466/12.02.PR0.114k10w7 https://doi.org/10.2466/12.02.PR0.114k10w7
- Talaei A, RezaeiArdani A., PW01-34- depression and its correlation with self-esteem and social support among iranian university students. European Psychiatry, 25, SUP1, pp. 1453, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-9338(10)71436-X
- Abdel-khalek AM., Obsession-Compulsion, Locus of Control, Depression, and Hopelessness: a Construct Validity of the Arabic Obsessive-Compulsive Scale in American and Kuwaiti Students. Psycho. Repo. 86(3/2, pp. 1187-1188, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/003329410008600319.2
- Richardson A, Field T, Newton R, Bendell D. Locus of control and prenatal depression. Infant Behavior & Development, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 662-668, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infbeh.2012.07.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infbeh.2012.07.006
- McBride C, Bagby R. M., Rumination and Interpersonal Dependency: Explaining Women's Vulnerability to Depression. Canadian Psychology, 47, no. 3, pp. 184-194. 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/cp2006008 https://doi.org/10.1037/cp2006008
- Takagishi Y, Sakata M, Kitamura T., Effects of self-esteem on state and trait components of interpersonal dependency and depression in the workplace. J of clinical psychology, 67, no. 9, pp. 918-926. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.20815 https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.20815
- Rusby JSM, Harris JM, Tasker F., Female interpersonal dependency: Genetic and Environmental Components and its Relationship to Depression a function of age. Aging and Mental Health, 17, no. 8, pp. 1044-1051, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2013.807421 https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2013.807421
- Sawatzky RG, Ratner PA, Richardson CG, Wa., Stress and Depression in Students: The Mediation Role of Stress Management Self-efficacy. Nursing Research, 61, no. 1, pp. 13-21, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0b013e31823b1440 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0b013e31823b1440
- Hafen M, Ratcliffe GC, Rush BR., Veterinary Medical Student Well-being: Depression, Stress, and Personal Relationships. J of Veterinary Medical Education, 40, no. 3, pp. 296-302. 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3138/jvme.1112-101R https://doi.org/10.3138/jvme.1112-101R
- Bae S. Y., Kim S. H., Analysis of convergent influence of positive emotion, negative emotion and job seeking stress on depression among college women of health affiliated educations. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13, no. 3, pp. 269-278, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.269