- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Influence of Self- efficacy for Smoking Cessation, Depression, Social Support and Nicotine Dependency in the College Male Smoker
남자 흡연 대학생의 금연 자기효능감, 우울 및 사회적 지지가 니코틴 의존도에 미치는 영향
- Yi, Ji-Eun (Dept. of Nursing, Daekyeung University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Wha (Dept. of Nursing, Daekyeung University) ;
- Hong, Ju-Young (Dept. of Nursing, Daekyeung University)
- Received : 2017.03.16
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
This study examined the influence of self- efficacy for smoking cessation, depression, social support and nicotine dependency in the college male smoker. This survey design was adopted for 149 male college students in Gyeongbuk. Data were gathered from September 7 to 18, 2016. Data was analyzed for descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation, and multiple regression. There was a significant positive correlation between depression and nicotine dependency. There was a significant negative correlation between self-efficacy for smoking cessation and nicotine dependency and between social support and nicotine dependency. The significant factors influencing nicotine dependency were self-efficacy for smoking cessation and depression. This model explained 34% of variance in nicotine dependency. The results suggest that an intervention program is needed to reduce the depression and to increase the ability of self-efficacy for smoking cessation in the college male smoker.
본 연구는 남자 흡연 대학생의 금연 자기효능감, 우울 및 사회적지지가 니코틴 의존도에 미치는 영향을 파악하기 위한 서술적 조사연구이다. 경북지역 2개 대학교 남학생 149명 대상으로 2016년 9월 7일~18까지 설문조사 하였고, SPSS 22.0을 사용해 서술통계, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation, multiple regression으로 분석하였다. 남자 흡연 대학생의 일반적 특성 및 흡연관련 특성 중 학년 및 전공계열에 따라 니코틴 의존도가 유의한 차이를 보였다. 니코틴 의존도는 금연 자기효능감(r=-.54, p<.001), 사회적지지(r=-.26, p=.001)와 음의 상관관계를, 우울(r=.33, p<.001)과는 양의 상관관계를 나타냈다. 니코틴 의존도에 영향을 미치는 변수는 금연 자기효능감(
- A. Jamal, IT. Agaku, E. O'Connor, BA. King, JB. Kenemer, L. Neff, "Current cigarette smoking among adults-United States, 2005-2013. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report." Vol. 63, No. 47, pp. 1108-1112, 2014.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination survey [Internet]. Cheongju: Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention; 2015 [cited 2016 Sep 11]. Available from: https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub04/sub04_03.do?classType=7.
- ST. Lanza, SA. Vasilenko, "New methods shed light on age of onset as a risk factor for nicotine dependence." Addictive behaviors. Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 161-164, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2015.06.024
- U. Isabel, C. Alberto, QJ. María, M. Nerea, B. Xavier, S. Jordi, "Smoking habit, respiratory symptoms and lung function in young adults." The European Journal of Public Health, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 160-165, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/cki113
- M. S. Park, Y. H. Lee, "Relationship of life style on body composition and quality of life in college students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 397-405, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.397
- S. W. Park, "A review of cigarette smoking-related behaviors and health problems among university students." Korean Journal of health Education and Promotion, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 35-49, 2011.
- M. K. Kim, K. E. Shin, "A study of the smoking and drinking behaviors among university and college students." Journal of The Korean Society of Integrative Medicine, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 23-27, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2015.3.4.023 https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2015.3.4.023
- A. Steptoe, J. Wardle, W. Cui, A. Baban, K. Glass K, Pelzer, A. Tsuda, J. Vinck. "An international comparison of tobacco smoking, beliefs and risk awareness in university students from 23 countries." Addiction. Vol. 97, No. 12, pp. 1561-1571, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2002.00269.x
- S. R. Shin, S. K. Kim, "The effect of school based smoking cessation program for college students." The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. Vol . 12, No.4, pp.869-885, 2007. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2007.12.4.012
- S. O. Chang, E. J. Kim, G. A. Seomun, S. J. Lee, C. S. Park, "Comparison of influential variables for smoking temptation between adolescent and adult smokers." Taehan Kanho Hakhoe chi. Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 561-570, 2006.
- KO. Fagerstrom, NG. Schneider, "Measuring nicotine dependence: a review of the Fagerstrom Tolerance Questionnaire." Journal of Behavioral Medicine. Vol. 12 , No. 2, pp. 159-182, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF00846549 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00846549
- K. H. Lee, Y. C. Chung, K. H. Kim, " Success factors of smoking cessation among new enrollees and re-enrollees in smoking cessation clinics at public health centers." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12 , No. 1, pp. 445-455, 2014. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.445 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.445
- H. Y. Shin, Y. J. Lee, S. H. Kim, H. J. Cho, "Factors associated with six month quit rate of in-hospital smoking program." Journal of the Korean Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, Vol. 7 , No .2, pp. 66-73, 2016. https://doi.org/10.25055/JKSRNT.2016.7.2.66
- E. Y. Choe, S. H. Jeong, "The effect of self-efficacy promotion smoking cessation program on the amount of smoking, CO, urine cotinine level and self-efficacy for adolescent smokers." Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 103-111, 2012. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- N. J. Kim, H. S. Hong, "Influence of stress, self-efficacy for smoking cessation, smoking temptation and nicotine dependency in male college students who smoke."Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 18, No.1, pp. 1-8, 2016. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.1.1
- J. H. Lee, "The convergence study of life stress and health clinic user satisfaction in female students: focused on the one women's university." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 89-96, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.089
- J. W. Lee, K. H. Kang, "Study about the relationship between self-esteem, depression and stress of students according to school system." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 69-74, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2014.5.4.069
- J. K. Kang, S. N. Jeon, H. G, Shin, "The influence of self perfectionism, depression and hopelessness on suicidal ideation in university students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 527-536, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.10.527
- H. Y. Jung, "The convergence influence of life stress, depression and ego resiliency on college life adaptation in nursing students" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 259-268, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.259
- H. S. Lee, "Effects of depression and impulsive behavior on smoking of adolescents." The Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 67-76. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.2.67
- T. Y. Lee, S. M. Choi, "Convergence study for relationship between cholesterol level on serum and depression in Korean adults." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 269-276, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.269
- M. O. Kim, M. Yu, S. J. Ju, K. S. Kim, J. H. Choi, H. J. Kim, "Depression cognition and health promoting behaviors of smoking and non-smoking college students." Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 30, No .3, pp. 35-46, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2013.30.3.035
- A. Trosclair, SR. Dube, "Smoking among adults reporting lifetime depression, anxiety, anxiety with depression, and major depressive episode, United States, 2005-2006." Addictive Behaviors. Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 438-443, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2009.12.011
- O. S. Kim, "Cigarette smoking, alcohol drinking, and depression in women smokers." Nursing Science, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 17-22, 2003.
- H. J. Park, M. J. Kim, D. Y. Jung, "The effect of stress, social support and self-Efficacy on the mental health of female undergraduate students." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. Vol. 15 No. 4, pp. 513-521, 2008.
- J. W. Oh, Y. S. Moon, "A predictive model of health promotion behavior in nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp. 391-403, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.391
- J. H. Chae, Y. H. Choi. "Influencing factors on nicotine dependency of smoking in middle school students." Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 3 pp. 2109-2116, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.2109 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.2109
- Y. M. Cho, M. Y. Woo, "Affecting nicotine dependence of social psychological variables in smoking middle school", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 295-303, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.295 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.295
- WF. Velicer, CC. Diclemente, JS. Rossi, JO. Prochaska, "Relapse situations and self-efficacy: An integrative model." Addictive Behaviors. Vol. 15, No .3, pp. 271-283, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(90)90070-E
- S. O. Chang, E. J. Kim, G. Seomun, S. J. Lee, & B. K. Cha, "Predictors of pre and post preparation in stages of change of smoking for adolescent smokers and adult smokers." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 119-129, 2006.
- LS. Radloff, "The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population." Applied Psychological Measurement. Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 385-401, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- K. K. Chon, M. K. Lee, "Preliminary development of Korean version of CES-D." Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 65-76, 1977.
- J. W. Park, "A study to development a scale of social support." Unpublished master's thesis, Yeonsei University of Korea, 1985.
- T. H. Joo, "The effects of social support, self-efficacy, and stress on depression of the elderly: A comparative study with different types of household environment." Unpublished master's thesis Catholic University of Korea, 2011.
- TF. Heatherton, LT. Kozlowski, RC. Frecker, KO. Fagerstrom, "The Fagerström test for nicotine dependence: a revision of the Fagerstrom Tolerance Questionnaire." British Journal of Addiction. Vol. 86, No. 9, pp. 1119-1127, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1991.tb01879.x
- H. S. Lee, M. R. Song, "Factors influencing nicotine dependency among college students intending to quit smoking." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. Vol. 20 No. 4, pp. 429-437, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.4.429
- O. S. Kim, A. J. Kim, S. W. Kim, S. H. Baik, "The effects of anxiety, depression and self-esteem on smoking and nicotine dependency among unmarried woman smokers." Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. Vol. 13. No. 4, pp. 509-516, 2001.
- E. K. Kim, M. R. Song, "An analysis of the characteristics and preferences related to a smoking cessation program among smoking college students." Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. Vol. 15. No. 4, pp. 184-192, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.4.184
- K. S. Paek, Y. S. Kwon, "Factors associated with the preparation stage to quit smoking among college smokers." Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, Vol. 22 No. 2, pp. 173-183, 2011. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.2.173
- B. Schuz, FF. Sniehotta, N. Mallach, AU. Wiedemann, R. Schwarzer, "Predicting transitions from preintentional, intentional and actional stages of change." Health Education Research. Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 64-75, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cym092
- N. Breslau, EO. Johnson, "Predicting smoking cessation and major depression nicotine- dependent smokers." American Journal of Public Health. Vol. 90, No. 7, pp. 1122-1134, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.90.7.1122