- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Promotion of Agricultural Technology Innovations for the Poor Smallholders in Marginal Rural Areas of Bangladesh: An Innovative Business Model Approach
- Mohammad, Ikhtiar (Agricultural Economics Research Unit, BRAC Research and Evaluation Division, BRAC Centre) ;
- Malek, Mohammad Abdul (Agricultural Economics Research Unit, BRAC Research and Evaluation Division, BRAC Centre, Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn)
- Received : 2016.10.07
- Accepted : 2017.02.27
- Published : 2017.04.28
This article aims at demonstrating location specific approach for agricultural technology promotion and adoption in improving the livelihood of the small farmers in the haor basin and coastal belt of Bangladesh. Innovative technologies that have potentials are initially screened by ex-ante investigation and instrumented by the business model canvas, which is used as a bottom-up approach for sustainability of the adoption of proposed technology innovations. Village-level extension farmers, sub-district extension officers and farmers' cooperative are the unique and central features to the business models and forward linkages. Extension service, power tiller, low-lift pump, sunflower, shallow tube well, quality seed, forward linkage for farmed duck eggs, live ducks and open catch fish etc. are the suggested potential technology innovations for the small farmers. The technology adoption business model can be reinvented for different locations within or beyond the country considering the local agricultural problems and prospects for greater sustainability.
Supported by : University of Bonn
- Conway, G. (1998) The doubly green revolution: food for all in the twenty-first century, Cornell University Press.
- Fan, S. and Hazell, P. (2000) Should developing countries invest more in less-favoured areas? an empirical analysis of rural India, Economic and Political Weekly, 1455-1464.
- Gatzweiler, F.W. (2016) Technological and Institutional Innovations for Marginalized Smallholders in Agricultural Development, in J. Von Braun (ed.), Springer.
- ICARDA (2003) Seed Policy: A Widening Arena. Accessed at: http://www.icarda.cgiar.org/News/Seed20Info/24/news.htm
- Malek, M.A., Gatzweiler F. W. and von Braun, J. (2016) Identifying technology innovations for marginalized smallholders-conceptual approach, invited paper presented at IAAE/2015 and ASIP/2015.
- Malek, M.A and Gatzweiler, F. (2016) Manual for the identification of idle potentials of marginal rural areas and people by means of technological and institutional innovations, ZEF and BRAC. http://www.zef.de/uploads/tx_zefportal/Publications/TIGA_Manual_2016.pdf.
- Malek, M.A., Haque, M.S., Yesmin, J. and Haque, M.L. (2016) More than cerealbased cropping innovations for improving food and livelihood security of poor smallholders in marginal areas of bangladesh, in Technological and Institutional Innovations for Marginalized Smallholders in Agricultural Development, 257-288, Springer International Publishing.
- Malek, M.A., Haque, M.L. and Moniruzzaman, S. (2015) Marginality hotspots with agricultural potentials in Bangladesh: technology innovations, segmentations, barriers and willingness to pay of poor smallholders, IAAE/2015 conference.
- Malek, M.A., Hossain, M., Saha, R. and Gatzweiler, F.W. (2013) Mapping marginality hotspots and agricultural potentials in Bangladesh, ZEF Working Paper. June 2013, Bonn.
- Osterwalder, A. and Pigneur, Y. (2010) Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers, John Wiley & Sons.
- Pender, J. (2007) Agricultural Technology Choices for Poor Farmers in Less-Favored Areas of South and East Asia, International Food Policy Research Institute.
- Pinstrup-Andersen, P. and Pandya-Lorch, R. (1994) Alleviating Poverty, Intensifying Agriculture, and Effectively Managing Natural resources, International Food Policy Research Institute.
- Rabbani, A.T.O.N.U. (2014) Household food security in Bangladesh: going beyond poverty measures, Bangladesh Development Studies, 37(1, 2).
- Reardon, T., Chen, K.Z., Minten, B., Adriano, L., Dao, T.A., Wang, J. and Gupta, S.D. (2014) The quiet revolution in Asia's rice value chains, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1331(1), 106-118. https://doi.org/10.1111/nyas.12391
- Ruben, R., Pender, J. and Kuyvenhoven, A. (eds.) (2007) Sustainable Poverty Reduction In Less-favoured Areas, CABI.
- Von Braun J. and Gatzweiler, F.W. (eds.) (2014) Marginality - An Overview and Implications for Policy, Netherlands: Springer.