- Volume 8 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Scenery of the Modern City Represented in Korean Films of 1930·40s
1930·40년대 한국영상자료 속 근대도시풍경에 대한 융합적 연구
- Moon, Guen-Jong (Department of Architecture, College of Engineering, Keimyung University)
- 문근종 (계명대학교 공과대학 건축학전공)
- Received : 2017.02.02
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
The purpose of this study is to analyze the 'Scenery of the Modern City' revealed by Korean films of 1930 40s. It is assumed that films always reflect the cityscape and human activities of those days. For the analysis, a pool of 8 Korean films from 1934 till 1944 was constructed. In these films, the sceneries of the city were represented as the following: 1) The cityscape including modern buildings and speedy transportation was intentionally represented to express visually the city of Gyeongseong under the wave of modernization. 2) The western-style architectural spaces, such as apartment, mansion, department store, cafe, and hotel, were emphasized to reflect the curiosity and longing of the general public for western culture and lifestyle.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- G. J. Moon, E. G. Seo, "The Use of Urban. Architectural Elements in Michelangelo Antonioni's Film-Focusing on the Cityscape of 1950.60s Italy," Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, Vol. 26, No. 11, p.294, 2010.
- T. Graeme, Film as Social Practice(2nd ed.), Hannarae Publishing Co., pp. 66-67, 1994.
- KOFA, List of 100 Korean Films, Korean Film Archive, p.242, 2013.
- E. T. Jeong, K. H. Jung, H. J. Song, “A study of Convergence Relationship between Post-Modern aspects and storytelling from Imaging Content Production,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 177-184, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.177
- W. J. Lim, “A Analysis on the Relations among Characters shown in SBS Wednesday and Thursday Dramas,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 481-486, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.1.481
- S. M. An, “Study on the Convergence between Spatial Design Education and On.Offline Communication Methods,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 317-327, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.317
- H. Y. Park, The Past Unearthed: The Second Encounter-Collection of Chosun Films in the 1930s, Korean Film Archive, 2008.
- J. W. Kim, The Series of Korean Films Vol. 1, Kookhak-Jaryowon, 2002.
- M. H. Kim, History of Korean Films, Communication Books, Inc., p.88, 2006.
- G. J. Moon, J. W. Lee, “A Study on the Images of the City of Seoul through Korean Films in the Period of Japanese Occupation,” Design Convergence Study, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 297-313, 2014.
- W. G. Shim, S. H. Kang, S. J. Yeo, "Korean Apartment Housings from the Period of Japanese Occupation," Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, Vol. 18, No. 9, p.163, 2002.
- J. M. Son, A Study on the Urban Social Aspect in the Period of Japanese Occupation, Iljisa, p.87, 1996.
- H. Y. Park, The Past Unearthed: The Second Encounter-Collection of Chosun Films in the 1930s, Korean Film Archive, p.19, 2008.
- G. J. Moon, A Study on the Images of Apartments Represented in Korean Films, Seoul National University, Ph.D. Dissertation, 2013.
- J. H. Jeong, The Past Unearthed: The Third Encounter-Dear Soldier, Korean Film Archive, p.8, 2009.
- G. J. Moon, J. W. Lee, "A Study on the Images of the City of Seoul through Korean Films in the Period of Japanese Occupation," Design Convergence Study, Vol. 13, No. 2, p.309, 2014.
- H. J. Lee, The Past Unearthed: The Third Encounter-Dear Soldier, Korean Film Archive, p.20, 2009.
- K. N. Kim, “A ‘Study on ‘Convergent Media Art Information Visualization’ from the Creative Approach toward and Usability Perspective on Social Issues(Focusing on Case Analysis),” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 155-162, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.4.155