- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
SORET AND CHEMICAL REACTION EFFECTS ON THE RADIATIVE MHD FLOW FROM AN INFINITE VERTICAL POROUS PLATE
- MALAPATI, VENKATESWARLU (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, V. R. SIDDHARTHA ENGINEERING COLLEGE) ;
- DASARI, VENKATA LAKSHMI (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, BAPATLAWOMEN'S ENGINEERING COLLEGE)
- Received : 2017.01.22
- Accepted : 2017.03.11
- Published : 2017.03.25
In this present article, we analyzed the heat and mass transfer characteristics of the nonlinear unsteady radiative MHD flow of a viscous, incompressible and electrically conducting fluid past an infinite vertical porous plate under the influence of Soret and chemical reaction effects. The effect of physical parameters are accounted for two distinct types of thermal boundary conditions namely prescribed uniform wall temperature thermal boundary condition and prescribed heat flux thermal boundary condition. Based on the flow nature, the dimensionless flow governing equations are resolved to harmonic and non harmonic parts. In particular skin friction coefficient, Nusselt number and Sherwood number are found to evolve into their steady state case in the large time limit. Parametric study of the solutions are conducted and discussed.
- A. J. EDE, Advances in heat transfer, Academic press, New York, 4 (1967), 1-64.
- B. Gebhart, Advances in heat transfer, Academic press, New York, l9 (1973), 273-348.
- Y. Jaluria, Natural convection heat and mass transfer, Oxford, Pergamon press, 1980.
- G. D. Raithby and K. G. T. Hollands, Natural convection in handbook of heat transfer fundamentals, New York, McGraw Hill, 2nd edn, 1985.
- N. Ahmed and H. K. Sarmah, Thermal radiation effect on a transient MHD flow with mass transfer past an impulsively fixed infinite vertical plate, Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 5 (2009), 87-98.
- N. Ahmed, Soret and radiation effects on transient MHD free convection from an impulsively started infinite vertical plate, Journal of Heat Transfer, 134 (2012), 1-9.
- R. Muthucumaraswamy and P. Ganesan, Radiation effects on flow past an impulsively started infinite vertical plate with variable temperature, International Journal of Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 8 (2003), 125-129.
- A. J. Chamkha, Transient MHD free convection from a porous medium supported by a surface, Fluid - Particle Separation Journal, 10 (1997), 101-107.
- M. Venkateswarlu, G. V. Ramana Reddy and D.V. Lakshmi, Diffusion-thermo effects on MHD flow past an infinite vertical porous plate in the presence of radiation and chemical reaction, International Journal of Mathematical Archive, 4 (2013), 39-51.
- M. Venkateswarlu, G. V. Ramana Reddy and D. V. Lakshmi, Thermal diffusion and radiation effects on unsteady MHD free convection heat and mass transfer flow past a linearly accelerated vertical porous plate with variable temperature and mass diffusion, Journal of the Korea Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 18 (2014), 257-268. https://doi.org/10.12941/jksiam.2014.18.257
- M. Venkateswarlu, G. V. Ramana Reddy and D. V. Lakshmi, Radiation effects on MHD boundary layer flow of liquid metal over a porous stretching surface in porous medium with heat generation, Journal of the Korea Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 19 (2015), 83-102. https://doi.org/10.12941/jksiam.2015.19.083
- M. Venkateswarlu and P. Padma, Unsteady MHD free convective heat and mass transfer in a boundary layer flow past a vertical permeable plate with thermal radiation and chemical reaction, Procedia Engineering, 127 (2015), 791-799. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2015.11.414
- A. Postelnicu, Influence of chemical reaction on heat and mass transfer by natural convection from vertical surfaces in porous media considering Soret and Dufour effects, Heat and Mass Transfer, 43 (2007), 595-602. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-006-0132-8
- A. Raptis and N. Kafousias, Heat transfer in flow through a porous medium bounded by an infinite vertical plate under the action of a magnetic field, International Journal of Energy Research, 6 (1982), 241-245. https://doi.org/10.1002/er.4440060305
- T. K. Aldoss, M. A. Al-Nimr, M. A. Jarrah and B. J. Al-Shaer, Magnetohydrodynamic mixed convection from a vertical plate embedded in a porous medium, J. Heat and Transfer, 28 (1995), 635-645. https://doi.org/10.1080/10407789508913766
- O. D. Makinde, On MHD boundary layer flow and mass transfer past a vertical plate in a porous medium with constant heat flux, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, 19 (2009), 546-554. https://doi.org/10.1108/09615530910938434
- A. J. Chamkha, MHD flow of a uniformly stretched vertical permeable surface in the presence of heat generation/absorption and a chemical reaction, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 30 (2003), 413-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0735-1933(03)00059-9
- A. A. Afify, The effect of radiation on free convective flow and mass transfer past a vertical isothermal cone surface with chemical reaction in the presence of a transverse magnetic field, Canadian Journal of Physics, 82 (2004), 447-458. https://doi.org/10.1139/p04-009
- F. S. Ibrahim, A. M. Elaiw and A. A. Bakr, Effect of the chemical reaction and radiation absorption on the unsteady MHD free convection flow past a semi-infinite vertical permeable moving plate with heat source and suction, Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation 13 (2008), 1056-1066. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnsns.2006.09.007
- A. A. Bakr, Effects of chemical reaction on MHD free convection and mass transfer flow of a micropolar fluid with oscillatory plate velocity and constant heat source in a rotating frame of reference, Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation 16 (2011), 698-710. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnsns.2010.04.040
- A. J. Chamkha, R. A. Mohamed and S. E. Ahmed, Unsteady MHD natural convection from a heated vertical porous plate in a micropolar fluid with Joule heating, chemical reaction and radiation effects, Meccanica, 46 (2011), 399-411. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-010-9321-0
- K. Bhattacharyya and G. C. Layek, Similarity solution of MHD boundary layer flow with diffusion and chemical reaction over a porous flat plate with suction/blowing, Meccanica, 47(2012), 1043-1048. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-011-9461-x
- P. M. Kishore, N. V. R. V. P. S. Rao, V. K. Varma and S. Venkataramana, The effects of radiation and chemical reaction on unsteady MHD free convection flow of viscous fluid past an exponentially accelerated vertical plate, International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 4 (2013), 300-317.
- M. Venkateswarlu, G. V. Ramana Reddy and D. V. Lakshmi, Effects of chemical reaction and heat generation on MHD boundary layer flow of a moving vertical plate with suction and dissipation, Engineering International, 1 (2013), 27-38.
- M. Venkateswarlu and D. Venkata Lakshmi, Dufour effect on radiative MHD flow of a viscous fluid in a parallel porous plate channel under the influence of slip condition, Journal of Advances in Science and Technology, 12 (2016), 614-620.
- M. Venkateswarlu, D. Venkata Lakshmi and K. Nagamalleswara Rao, Soret, hall current, rotation, chemical reaction and thermal radiation effects on unsteady MHD heat and mass transfer natural convection flow past an accelerated vertical plate, Journal of the Korea Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 20 (2016), 203-224. https://doi.org/10.12941/jksiam.2016.20.203
- J. Manjula, P. Padma, M. Gnaneswara Reddy and M. Venakateswarlu, Influence of thermal radiation and chemical reaction on MHD flow, heat and mass transfer over a stretching surface, Procedia Engineering, 127 (2015), 1315-1322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2015.11.489
- M. Turkyilmazoglu and I. pop, Soret and heat source effects on the unsteady radiative MHD free convection flow from an impulsively started infinite vertical plate, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 55 (2012), 7635-7644. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2012.07.079
- E. Magyari and A. Pantokratoras, Note on the effect of thermal radiation in the linearized Rosseland approximation on the heat transfer characteristics of various boundary layer flows, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 38 (2011), 554-556. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2011.03.006
- N. Siva Kumar, Rushi Kumar and A. G. Vijaya Kumar, Thermal diffusion and chemical reaction effects on unsteady flow past a vertical porous plate with heat source dependent in slip flow regime, Journal of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, 13 (2016), 51-62. https://doi.org/10.3329/jname.v13i1.20773
- M. Venkateswarlu, D. Venkata Lakshmi and G. Darmaiah, Influence of slip condition on radiative MHD flow of a viscous fluid in a parallel porous plate channel in presence of heat absorption and chemical reaction, Journal of the Korea Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 20 (2016), 333-354. https://doi.org/10.12941/jksiam.2016.20.333
- M. Venkateswarlu and D. Venkata Lakshmi, Slip velocity distribution on MHD oscillatory heat and mass transfer flow of a viscous fluid in a parallel plate channel, Journal of Bangladesh Mathematical Society, 36 (2016), 93-114.