- Volume 33 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Classification of Microhabitats based on Habitat Orientation Groups of Benthic Macroinvertebrate Communities
저서성 대형무척추동물의 서식 특성에 따른 미소서식처 유형화
- Kim, Jungwoo (Department of Life Science, Kyonggi University) ;
- Kim, Ah Reum (Department of Life Science, Kyonggi University) ;
- Kong, Dongsoo (Department of Life Science, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2017.09.25
- Accepted : 2017.11.27
- Published : 2017.11.30
Many restoration projects are underway to revive disturbed streams. In order to achieve successful stream restoration, a variety of microhabitats should be created to promote biological diversity. Research on biological classification of microhabitats is essential for biological diversity. However, research on classification using only physical environmental factors has been carried out. The purpose of this study is to classify and quantify the microhabitat of the stream by using macroinvertebrates systematically. In this study, eight wadeable streams and four non-wadeable streams were surveyed to identify the benthic macroinvertebrates in these various microhabitats. Among the physical environmental factors (current velocity, water depth, substrate), the particle size of the substrate was the most influential factor in the emergence of the Habitat Orientaion Groups. Among the HOGs, clinger and burrower were highly correlated with physical environment factors and showed the opposite tendency. The distribution of clinger and burrower according to the physical environmental factors showed two tendencies based on the current velocity (0.3 m/s) and water depth (0.4 m). In addition, the particle size of the substrate showed three trends (
Supported by : 경기대학교
- Ahn, H. K. and Woo, H. S. (2004). An Analysis of Ecological Habitat Characteristics in Medium-scale Stream-A Case of the Bokha Stream-, Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 32(2), 102-119. [Korean Literature]
- Allan, J. D. (1995). Stream Ecology, Structure and Function of Running Waters, London: Chapman & Hall, 1-388.
- Boulton, A. J. and Lake, P. S. (1992). The Ecology of Two Intermittent Streams in Victoria, Australia. II. Comparisons of Faunal Composition between Habitats, Rivers and Years, Freshwater Biology, 27, 99-121. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.1992.tb00527.x
- Bovee, K. D. (1982). A Guide to Stream Habitat Analysis using the Instream Flow Incremental Methodology, Instream Flow Information Paper 12. U.S.D.I. Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Biological Services, FWS/OBS-82/26, 248.
- Brown, V. and Brussock, P. P. (1991). Comparisons of Benthic Invertebrates between Riffles and Pools, Hydrobiologia, 220, 99-108. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00006542
- Cummins, K. W. (1962). An Evaluation of Some Techniques for The Collection and Analysis of Benthic Samples with Special Emphasis on Lotic Water, The American Midland Naturalist, 67, 477-504. https://doi.org/10.2307/2422722
- Degani, G., Herbst, G. N., Ortal, R., Bromley, H. J., Levanon, D., Netzer, Y., Harari, N., and Glazman, H. (1993). Relationship between Current Velocity, Depth and the Invertebrate Community in a Stable River System, Hydrobiologia, 263, 163-172. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00006267
- Edington, J. M. (1968). Habitat Preferences in Net-spinning Caddis Larvae with Special Reference to the Influence of Water Velocity, Journal of Animal Ecology, 37, 675-692. https://doi.org/10.2307/3081
- Gore, J. A. (1978). A Technique for Predicting Instream Flow Requirements of Benthic Invertebrates, Freshwater Biology, 8, 141-151. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.1978.tb01436.x
- Horne, A. J. and Goldman, C. R. (1994). Limnology Second Edition, New York: Mc Graw-Hill, Inc., 576.
- Kim, J. H. (2014). Hydraulic Habitat Analysis of Benthic Macroinvertebrates at Gapyeong Stream, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, 47, 63-70. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.1.63
- Kawai, T. and Tanida, K. (2005). Aquatic Insects of Japan: Manual with Keys and Illustrations, Kanagawa: Tokai University Press.
- Kong, D. S., Son, S. H., Kim, J. Y., Won, D. H., Kim, M. C., Park, J. S., and Ham, S. A. (2012). Development and Application of Korean Benthic Macroinvertebrates Index for Biological Assessment on Stream Environment, Proceedings of the 2012 Spring Conference and Water Environmental Forum of Yeongsan River, Korean Society of Limnology, 33-36. [Korean Literature]
- Kong, D. S. and Kim, J. Y. (2016). Development of Benthic Macroinvertebrates Streambed Index (BMSI) for Bioassessment of Stream Physical Habitat, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 32(1), 1-14. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2016.32.1.1
- Merritt, R. W. and Cummins K. W. (1996). An Introduction to the Aquatic Insects of North America, Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 862.
- Merritt, R. W., Cummins, K. W., and Berg, M. B. (2008). An Introduction to the Aquatic Insects of North America, 4h Ed, Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Publish Company, 1158.
- Minshall, G. W. and Minshall, J. N. (1977). Microdistribution of Benthic Invertebrates in a Rocky Mountain (USA) Stream, Hydrobiologia, 55, 231-249. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00017555
- Orth, D. J. and Maughan, O. E. (1983). Microhabitat Preferences of Benthic Fauna in a Woodland Stream, Hydrobiologia, 106, 157-168 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00006748
- Rabeni, C. F., and Minshall, G. W. (1977). Factors Affecting Microdistribution of Stream Benthic Insects, Oikos, 29, 33-43. https://doi.org/10.2307/3543290
- Statzner, B. and Higler, B. (1986). Stream Hydraulics as a Major Determinant of Benthic Invertebrate Zoning Patterns, Freshwater Biology, 16, 127-139. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.1986.tb00954.x
- Throp, J. H. and Covich, A. P. (2001). Ecology and Classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrates, San Diego: Academic Press, 1056.
- Vannote, R. L., Minshall, G. W., Cummins, K. W., Sedell, J. R., and Cushing, C. E. (1980). The River Continuum Concept, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 37, 130-137. https://doi.org/10.1139/f80-017
- Ward, J. V. (1992). Aquatic Insect Ecology, John Wiley Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Water, T. F. (1995). Sediment in Streams: Sources, Biological Effects, and Control, American Fisheries Society, Monograph 7, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Williams, D. D. and Feltmate, B. W. (1992). Aquatic Insects, CBA International, Wallingford, UK.
- Won, D. H., Kwon, S. J., and Jeon, Y. C. (2005). Aquatic Insect of Korea, Korea Ecosystem Service Press, Seoul, 415. [Korean Literature]
- Yoon, I. B. (1988). Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fauna & Flora of Korea Vol. 30 Aquatic Insects, Seoul: Ministry of Education Republic of Korea, 840. [Korean Literature]
- Yoon, I. B., Kong, D. S., and Ryu, J. K. (1992). Studies on the Biological Evaluation of Water Quality by Benthic Macroinvertebrates (II)-Effects of Environmental Factors to Community, Korean Society of Environmental Biology, 10(1), 45-55. [Korean Literature]