- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Acupuncture Treatment of Depression in Cancer Patient's Home Caregivers
암환자 간병인의 우울증에 대한 침구치료 효과
- Kim, Yun-Jin (Faculty of Chinese Medicine, Southern University College)
- 김연진 (말레이시아 남방대학학원 중의약학원)
- Received : 2016.08.02
- Accepted : 2016.09.05
- Published : 2016.09.27
Objectives : To assess and compare the effectiveness of acupuncture treatment of depression in Cancer patient's Home Caregivers. Methods : Total 60 cases in Cancer patient's Home Caregivers, who fulfilled the study's eligibility criteria, were recruited and observed(N=40). The individuals were assigned into two groups, the Acupuncture group(N=20) and Control group(N=20). Changes in their Hamilton Depression rating Scale indices, were statistically compared before and after treatment in order to investigate the effectiveness of treatment. Results : 70% Home Caregivers were female and 30% were male, half of the Home Caregivers was patient's spouse or partner and employee. After 6 weeks, Acupuncture group seems to show reduction in the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale. On the other hand after 8 weeks Control group do not show reduction in the Hamilton Depression rating Scale. Conclusions : The results suggest that acupuncture treatment may provide short-term relief of depressive symptoms in Home Caregivers for Cancer patients. Findings from this non-randomized trial should be interpreted with caution.
- Global Burden of Disease Cancer Collaboration. The global burden of cancer 2013. JAMA Oncology. 2015 ; 1(4) : 505-27. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2015.0735
- National Cancer center. Statistics of National Cancer register. Available from: URL:http://www.ncc.re.kr/webzine/201401/sub_03.jsp
- World health Organization. GLOBOCAN 2012: Estimated Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2012. Available from: URL:http://globocan.iarc.fr/Default.aspx
- Ro HL, Kim SJ, Lee HW. Relationship between Job Stress and Mental Health of Caretakers. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2009 ; 9(11) : 297-308. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.11.297
- Lee MR. Influence of Occupational Stress and Burnout on Turnover Intention of Caregivers in Geriatric Hospitals. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2012 ; 21(3) : 290-8. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.290
- Kim CS, Kim JS. The Impact of Emotional Labor on Burnout for Caregivers of Stroke Patients. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2015 ; 24(1) : 31-8. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.1.31
- Han KH, Jung JG, Oh SK, Kim JS, Kim SS, et al. Depression Level among Family Caregivers of Terminal Cancer Patients. Korean Journal of Family Medicine. 2005 ; 26(12) : 21-7.
- Kim YM, Spillers RL, Daniel L. Quality of life of family caregivers 5 years after a relative's cancer diagnosis: follow-up of the national quality of life survey for caregivers. Psycho-oncology. 2012 ; 21(3) : 273. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1888
- Trace K, Katrina E, Yoon HJ, Ann S. The Interdependence of Advanced Cancer patients' and Their Family Caregivers' Mental Health, Physical Health, and Self-Efficacy over Time. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2015 ; 49(6) : 901-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-015-9743-y
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.5th ed. Washington. American Psychiatric Publishing. 2013 : 160-1.
- Hamilton M. A rating scale for depression. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960 ; 23 : 56-62. https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.23.1.56
- Yi JS, Bae SH, Ahn YM, Park DB, Noh KS et al. Validity and Reliability of the Korean Version of the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale(K-HDRS). Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. 2005 ; 44(4) : 456-65.
- Hodges LJ, Humphris GM, macfarlane G. A meta-analytic investigation of the relationship between the psychological distress of cancer patients and their carers Soc Sci Med. 2005 ; 60(1) : 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2004.04.018
- Griva K, Goh CS, Kang WC, Yu ZL, et al. Quality of life and emotional distress in patients and burden in caregivers: a comparison between assisted peritoneal dislysis and self-care peritioneal dialysis. Quality of Life Research. 2016 ; 25(2) : 1074-8.
- Rhee YS. A Study of Effect on Quality of Life of Cancer patient's Caregiver. Korean Journal of Social Welfare. 2009 ; 61(2) : 325-48. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2009.61.2.013
- Ha JS, Yea SJ, Park SH, Kim I, Shin SS, Bae CY, et al. A Study of the relationship between health risk factors and family function. J Korean Acad Fam Med. 1993 ; 14 : 647-752.
- Kim SC, Jeoung DW, Son HR. Depression Level among Family Caregivers of Hospice Patients. Korean J Fam Med. 2009 ; 30 : 175-81. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.3.175
- Andrews SC. Caregiver burden and symptom distress in people with cancer receiving hospice care. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2001 ; 28 : 1469-74.
- Lee JE, Kwon YJ, Cho SH. A review of Clinical Studies with Herbal Medicine for Depress-Based on Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2011 ; 22 : 31-9. https://doi.org/10.7231/JON.2011.22.4.031
- Woo JA, Nam YJ, Park YJ, Kwon YG. Review of Recent Clinical Trials for Depression in Traditional Chinese Medicine-Based on Randomized Controlled Trials and Systematic Reviews. Journal of Physiology & Pathology Korean Medicine. 2015 ; 29 : 458-66. https://doi.org/10.15188/kjopp.2015.12.29.6.458
- Oh BH. Diagnosis and Treatment of Elderly Depression. Journal of Korean Medical Association. 2003 ; 46 : 808-14. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2003.46.9.808
- Lee EH, Choi WC, Junbg IC. Preliminary Study to Develop the Instrument on Pattern Identifications for Depression. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2013 ; 24 : 435-50. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2013.24.4.435
- Sep DL. Shin SY, Kim SY, Seo JC, Seo YJ, Park JH, et al. Clinical Research of the Effects of Sumsu (Bufonis Venenum) Pharmacopuncture on Insomnia and Depression in Patients with Sleep Disorder. The Acupuncture. 2015 ; 32 : 175-83. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2015049
- Kim YJ. Acupuncture Treatment of Depression in Epilepsy Children and Adolescent's Parents. Korean J Acupunct. 2016 ; 33 : 84-8. https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2016.006
- Melony E. Sorbero, Kerry A. Reynolds, Benjamin Colaiaco, Susan L. Lovejoy, et al. Acupuncture for Major Depressive Disorder. A Systematic Review. Available from: URL:http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR1100/RR1135/RAND_RR1135.pdf