- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
SORET, HALL CURRENT, ROTATION, CHEMICAL REACTION AND THERMAL RADIATION EFFECTS ON UNSTEADY MHD HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER NATURAL CONVECTION FLOW PAST AN ACCELERATED VERTICAL PLATE
- VENKATESWARLU, M. (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, V. R. SIDDHARTHA ENGINEERING COLLEGE) ;
- LAKSHMI, D. VENKATA (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, BAPATLA WOMEN'S ENGINEERING COLLEGE) ;
- RAO, K. NAGA MALLESWARA (DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, V. R. SIDDHARTHA ENGINEERING COLLEGE)
- Received : 2016.03.21
- Accepted : 2016.07.08
- Published : 2016.09.25
The heat and mass transfer characteristics of the unsteady hydromagnetic natural convection flow with Hall current and Soret effect of an incompressible, viscous, electrically conducting, heat absorbing and optically thin radiating fluid flow past a suddenly started vertical infinite plate through fluid saturated porous medium in a rotating environment are taken into account in this paper. Derivations of exact analytical solutions are aimed under different physical properties. The velocity, concentration and temperature profiles, Sherwood number and Nusselt number are easily examined and discussed via the closed forms obtained. Soret effect and permeability parameter tends to accelerate primary and secondary fluid velocities whereas hall current, radiation and heat absorption have reverse effect on it. Radiation and heat absorption have tendency to enhance rate of heat transfer at the plate. The results obtained here may be further used to verify the validity of obtained numerical solutions for more complicated transient free convection fluid flow problems.
- A. Raptis and N. Kafoussias: Magnetohydrodynamic free convection flow and mass transfer through porous medium bounded by an infinite vertical porous plate with constant heat flux, Can. J. Phys, 60(1982), 1725-1729. https://doi.org/10.1139/p82-232
- A. Raptis: Free convection and mass transfer effects on the oscillatory flow past an infinite moving vertical isothermal plate with constant suction and heat sources. Astrophy Space Sci, 86(1982), 43-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00651828
- M. A. Sattar: Unsteady hydromagnetic free convection flow with Hall current mass transfer and variable suction through a porous medium near an infinite vertical porous plate with constant heat flux, Int. J. Energy Research, 17(1993), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/er.4440170102
- F.C. Lai and F. A. Kulacki: Non-Darcy mixed convection along a vertical wall in a saturated porous medium. J. Heat Transfer. 113(1991), 252-255. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2910537
- E. R. Eckert and R. M. Drake: Analysis of heat and mass transfer. NY: Mc-Graw Hill, 1972.
- B. Gebhart, Y. Jaluria, R. L. Mahajan and B. Sammakia: Buoyancy induced flow and transport, New York Hemisphere, 1998.
- D. A. Nield and A. Bejan: Convection in porous media, 3rd ed. NY: Springer, 2006.
- I. Pop and D. B. Ingham: Convective heat transfer: mathematical and computational modelling of viscous fluids and porous media, Oxford: Pergamon, 2001.
- F. P. Incropera, T. L. Bergman, A. S. Lavine and D. P. Dewitt: Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer, NY:John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- G. S. Seth, S. Sarkar and G. K. Mahato: Effects of hall current on hydromaggnetic free convection flow with heat and mass transfer of a heat absorbing fluid past an impulsively moving vertical plate with ramped temperature, Int. J. Heat & Tech, 31 (2013), 85-96.
- R. Kandasamy, K. Periasamy and K. K. Sivagnana Prabhu: Chemical reaction, heat and mass transfer on MHD flow over a vertical stretching surface with heat source and thermal stratification effects, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 48 (2005), 4557-4561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2005.05.006
- Z. Dursunkaya and W.M. Worek: Diffusion-thermo and thermal-diffusion effects in transient and steady natural convection from vertical surface, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 35(1992), 2060-2065. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(92)90208-A
- A. Postelnicu: Influence of a magnetic field on heat and mass transfer by natural convection from vertical surfaces in porous media considering Soret and Dufour effects, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 47(2004), 1467-1472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2003.09.017
- M.S. Alam, M.M. Rahman: Dufour and Soret effects on MHD free convective heat and mass transfer flow past a vertical flat plate embedded in a porous medium, J. Naval Architecture and Marine Engg, 2(2005), 55-65.
- I Pop and T.Watanabe: Hall effect on magnetohydrodynamic free convection about a semi-infinite vertical flat plate, Int. J. Eng Sci, 32(1994), 1903-1911. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7225(94)90087-6
- Abo-Eldahab and E. M. E Elbarbary: Hall current effect on magnetohydrodynamic free-convection flow past a semi infinite vertical plate with mass transfer, Int. J. Eng Sci, 39(2001), 1641-1652. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7225(01)00020-9
- H. S. Takhar, S. Roy and G. Nath: Unsteady free convection flow over an infinite vertical porous plate due to the combined effects of thermal and mass diffusion, magnetic field and Hall currents. Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 39 (2003), 825-834. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-003-0427-y
- L. K. Saha, S. Siddiqa and M. A. Hossain: Effect of Hall current on MHD natural convection flow from vertical permeable flat plate with uniform surface heat flux, Appl. Math Mech Engg Ed, 32(2011), 127-146.
- P. V. Satya Narayana, B. Venkateswarlu and S. Venkataramana: Effects of Hall current and radiation absorption on MHD micropolar fluid in a rotating system, Ain Shams Eng J, 4(2013), 843-854. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2013.02.002
- G. S. Seth, G. K. Mahato and S. Sarkar: Effects of Hall current and rotation on MHD natural convection flow past an impulsively moving vertical plate with ramped temperature in the presence of thermal diffusion with heat absorption, Int. J. Energy Tech, 5(2013), 1-12.
- M. Q. Al-Odat and Al-Azab: Influence of chemical reaction on transient MHD free convection over a moving vertical plate, Emirates J. Engg. Res, 12 (2007), 15-21.
- M.A. El-Aziz: Radiation effect on the flow and heat transfer over an unsteady stretching sheet, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 36(2009), 521-524. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2009.01.016
- P. Singh, N.S. Tomer and D. Sinha: Numerical study of heat transfer over stretching surface in porous media with transverse magnetic field, Proceeding of International Conference on Challenges and application of Mathematics in Sciences and Technology, ISBN 023-032-875-X, 2010, 422-430.
- P. Singh, N. S. Tomer, S. Kumar and D. Sinha: MHD oblique stagnation-point flow towards a stretching sheet with heat transfer, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 6(2010), 94-111.
- P. Singh, A. Jangid, N. S. Tomer, S. Kumar and D. Sinha: Effects of thermal radiation and magnetic field on unsteady stretching permeable sheet in presence of free stream velocity, International Journal of Information and Mathematical Sciences, 6 (2010), 63-69.
- E. M. E. Elbashbeshy, D. M. Yassmin and A. A. Dalia: Heat transfer over an unsteady porous stretching surface embedded in a porous medium with variable heat flux in the presence of heat source or sink, African Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science Research, 39(2010), 68-73.
- D. Angirasa, G. P. Peterson, and I. Pop: Combined heat and mass transfer by natural convection with opposing buoyancy effects in a fluid saturated porous medium, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 40(1997), 2755-2773. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(96)00354-7
- S. Ahmed: Effects of unsteady free convective MHD flow through a porous medium bounded by an infinite vertical porous plate, Bull. Cal. Math. Soc., 99 (2007), 511-522.
- Ahmed Sahin: Influence of chemical reaction on transient MHD free Convective flow over a vertical plate in slip-flow Regime, Emirates Journal for Engineering Research, 15 (2010), 25-34.
- Venkateswarlu Malapati and Padma Polarapu: Unsteady MHD free convective heat and mass transfer in a boundary layer flow past a vertical permeable plate with thermal radiation and chemical reaction, Procedia Engineering, 127 (2015), 791-799. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2015.11.414
- Manjula Jonnadula, Padma Polarapu, Gnaneswara Reddy M and Venakateswarlu M: Influence of thermal radiation and chemical reaction on MHD flow, heat and mass transfer over a stretching surface, Procedia Engineering, 127 (2015), 1315-1322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2015.11.489
- M. Venkateswarlu, G. V. Ramana Reddy and D. V. Lakshmi: Radiation effects on MHD boundary layer flow of liquid metal over a porous stretching surface in porous medium with heat generation, Journal of the Korean Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 19 (2015), 83-102. https://doi.org/10.12941/jksiam.2015.19.083
- M. Venkateswarlu, G. V. Ramana Reddy and D. V. Lakshmi: Thermal diffusion and radiation effects on unsteady MHD free convection heat and mass transfer flow past a linearly accelerated vertical porous plate with variable temperature and mass diffusion, Journal of the Korean Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics,18 (2014), 257-268. https://doi.org/10.12941/jksiam.2014.18.257
- M. Venkateswarlu, G. V. Ramana Reddy and D. V. Lakshmi: Diffusion-thermo effects on MHD flow past an infinite vertical porous plate in the presence of radiation and chemical reaction, International Journal of Mathematical Archive, 4 (2013), 39-51.
- M. Venkateswarlu, G. V. Ramana Reddy and D. V. Lakshmi: Effects of chemical reaction and heat generation on MHD boundary layer flow of a moving vertical plate with suction and dissipation, Engineering International,1 (2013), 27-38.
- K. R. Cramer and S. I. Pai: Magnetofluid dynamics for Engineers and Applied physicists, McGraw Hill Book Company, NY, 1973.
- A. Raptis: Free convective oscillatory flow and mass transfer past a porous plate in the presence of radiation for an optically thin fluid, Thermal Sci, 15(2011), 849-857. https://doi.org/10.2298/TSCI101208032R