- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Carbon Stock in Chronosequence Rehabilitated Tropical Forest Stands in Malaysia
- Kueh, Roland Jui Heng (Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia Bintulu Sarawak Campus) ;
- Majid, Nik Muhamad (Institute of Tropical Forestry and Forest Products, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Ahmed, Osumanu Haruna (Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia Bintulu Sarawak Campus) ;
- Gandaseca, Seca (Faculty of Forestry, Universiti Putra Malaysia)
- Received : 2014.07.29
- Accepted : 2016.04.19
- Published : 2016.08.31
The loss and degradation in tropical forest region are some of the current global concern. Hence, these issues elevated the role of rehabilitated forests in providing ecological products and services. The information on the carbon stock is important in relation to global carbon and biomass use, but lacking from the tropical region. This paper reports the assessment of tree and soil carbon stock in a chronosequence rehabilitated tropical forest stands in Malaysia. The study site was at the UPM-Mitsubishi Forest Rehabilitation Project, UPMKB.
- Akbar MH, Ahmed OH, Jamaluddin AS, Nik Ab. Majid NM, Abdul-Hamid H, Jusop S, Hassan A, Yusof KH, Abdu A. 2010. Differences in soil physical and chemical properties of rehabilitated and secondary forests. American J Applied Sci 7: 1200-1209. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2010.1200.1209
- Akita M. 2011. Mitsubishi Corporation's tropical forest regeneration experimental projects. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Rehabilitation of Tropical Rainforest Ecosystems, Kuala Lumpur, 24-25 October, 2011. (Majid NM, Ahmed OH, Sajap AS, Islam MM, eds). Faculty of Forestry, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, pp 1-6.
- Azani MA, Fujiwara K, Miyawaki A. 1995. The rehabilitation of the tropical rainforest ecosystems in Sarawak, Malaysia-four year results of a scientific study by Universiti Pertanian Malaysia and Yokohama National University Japan. Bulletin Inst Enviro Sci Tech 21: 59-87.
- Azani MA. 2011. An overview of UPM-Mitsubishi Corporation Forest Rehabilitation Project. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Rehabilitation of Tropical Rainforest Ecosystems, Kuala Lumpur, 24-25 October, 2011 (Majid NM, Ahmed OH, Sajap AS, Islam MM, eds). Faculty of Forestry, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, pp 293-298.
- Basuki TM, Van Laake PE, Skidmore AK, Hussin YA. 2009. Allometric equations for estimating the above-ground biomass in tropical lowland dipterocarp forests. Forest Eco Manage 257: 1684-1694. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2009.01.027
- Bohre P, Chaubey OP, Singhal PK. 2014. Biomass production and carbon sequestration by Pongamia pinnata (Linn) Pierre in tropical environment. International J Bio-Sci Bio-Tech 6: 129-140.
- Brearley FQ, Prajadinata S, Kidd PS, Proctor J, Suriantata. 2004. Structure and floristics of an old secondary rain forest in Central Kalimantan, Indonesia and a comparison with adjacent primary forest. Forest Eco Manage 195: 385-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2004.02.048
- Brown S, Lugo AE. 1992. Tropical forests as sinks of atmospheric carbon. Forest Eco Manage 54: 239-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-1127(92)90016-3
- Brown S. 1997. Estimating biomass and biomass change of tropical forests: A primer. FAO Forestry Paper 134. Rome, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Ch’ng HY, Ahmed OS, Majid NMA. 2011. Assessment of soil carbon storage in a tropical rehabilitated forest. International J Phy Sci 6: 6210-6219.
- Chamber JQ, Higuchi N, Tribuzy ES, Trumbore SE. 2001. Carbon sink for a century: intact rainforests have a long-term storage capacity. Nature 410: 429. https://doi.org/10.1038/35068624
- Chan YH. 1982. Storage and release of organic carbon in Peninsular Malaysia. International J Enviro Studies 18: 211-222. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207238208709948
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2010. Global forest resources assessment 2010. FAO Forestry Paper 163. Rome, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2011. State of the world's forests. Rome, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Fonseca W, Benayas JMR, Alice FE. 2011. Carbon accumulation in the biomass and soil of different aged secondary forests in the humid tropics of Costa Rica. Forest Eco Manage 262: 1400-1408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2011.06.036
- Gong WK, Ong JE. 1983. Litter production and decomposition in a coastal hill dipterocarp forest. In: Tropical Rain Forest Ecology and Management (Sutton SL, Whitmore TC, Chadwick AC, eds). Palo Alto, Blackwell Scientific Publication, pp 275-285.
- Hashimotio T, Kojima K, Tange T, Sasaki S. 2000. Changes in carbon storage in fallow forests in the tropical lowlands of Borneo. Forest Eco Manage 126: 331-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1127(99)00104-8
- Kenzo T, Ichie T, Hattori D, Itioka T, Handa C, Ohkubo T, Kendawang JJ, Nakamura M, Sakaguchi M, Takahashi N, Okamoto M, Tanaka-Oda A, Sakurai K, Ninomiya I. 2009. Development of allometric relationships for accurate estimation of above- and below-ground biomass in tropical secondary forests in Sarawak, Malaysia. J Tropical Eco 25: 371-386. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266467409006129
- Kenzo T, Ichie T, Hattori D, Kendawang JJ, Sakurai K, Ninomiya I. 2010. Changes in above- and belowground biomass in early successional tropical secondary forests after shifting cultivation in Sarawak, Malaysia. Forest Eco Manage 260: 875-882. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2010.06.006
- Ku MKK. 2012. Forest Litter Assessment in Different Age Stands of a Rehabilitated Forest at Bintulu, Sarawak. MS thesis. Universiti Putra Malaysia, Bintulu.
- Kueh RJH, Ab. Majid NM, Gandaseca S, Ahmed OH. 2012. Estimation of total above ground biomass at selected age stands of a rehabilitated forest. J Tropical Bio Conserv 9: 164-175.
- Kueh RJH, Abd. Majid NM, Gandaseca S, Ahmed OH, Jemat S, Ku MKK. 2011. Forest structure assessment of a rehabilitated forest. American J Agri Biol Sci 6: 256-260. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajabssp.2011.256.260
- Kueh RJH. 2014. Structure, biomass and carbon assessment of chronosequence rehabilitated tropical forest stands. MS thesis. Universiti Putra Malaysia.
- Laumonier Y, Edin A, Kanninen M, Munandar AW. 2010. Landscape-scale variation in the structure and biomass of the hill dipterocarp forest of Sumatra: Implications for carbon stock assessments. Forest Eco Manage 259: 505-513. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2009.11.007
- Lim MT. 1992. Some ecological considerations in rehabilitating tropical forest ecosystems. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Rehabilitation of Tropical Rainforest Ecosystems: Research and Development Priorities, Kuching, 2-4 September, 1992 (Nik MM, Ismail AAM, Mohd Zaki H, Kamaruzaman J, eds). Faculty of Forestry, Universiti Pertanian Malaysia, Serdang, pp 20-25.
- Lim MT, Basri MH. 1985. Biomass accumulation in a naturally regenerating lowland secondary forest and an Acacia mangium stand in Sarawak. Pertanika 8: 237-242.
- Lu XT, Yin J-X, Jepsen MR, Tang J-W. 2010. Ecosystem carbon storage and partitioning in a tropical seasonal forest in Southwestern China. Forest Eco Manage 260: 1798-1803. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2010.08.024
- Miyawaki A. 1999. Creative ecology: restoration of native forests by native trees. Plant Biotech 16: 15-25. https://doi.org/10.5511/plantbiotechnology.16.15
- Miyawaki A. 2011. Restoration of tropical rainforests based on vegetation ecology: its significance, results and vision for the future. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Rehabilitation of Tropical Rainforest Ecosystems, Kuala Lumpur, 24-25 October, 2011, (Majid NM, Ahmed OH, Sajap AS and Islam MM, eds). Faculty of Forestry, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, pp 1-6.
- Montagnini F, Porras C. 1998. Evaluating the role of plantations as carbon sinks: an example of an integrative approach from the humid tropics. Environ Manage 22: 459-470. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002679900119
- Ngo KM, Turner BL, Muller-Landau HC, Davies SJ, Larjavaara M, Nik Hassan NF, Lum S. 2013. Carbon stocks in primary and secondary tropical forests in Singapore. Forest Eco Manage 296: 81-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2013.02.004
- Ogawa H. 1978. Litter production and carbon cycling in Pasoh forest. Malayan Nat J 30: 367-373.
- Pan Y, Birdsey RA, Fang J, Houghton R, Kauppi PE, Kurz WA, Phillips OL, Shvidenko A, Lewis SL, Canadell JG, Ciais P, Jackson RB, Pacala SW, McGuire AD, Piao S, Rautiainen A, Sitch S, Hayes D. 2011. A large and persistent carbon sink in the world's forests. Science 333: 988-993. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1201609
- Paramanthan S. 2000. Soils of Malaysia: their characteristics and identification. Kuala Lumpur, Academy of Sciences Malaysia.
- Ritcher DD, Markewitz D, Trumbore SE, Wells CG. 1999. Rapid accumulation and turnover of soil carbon in a re-establishing forest. Nature 400: 56-58. https://doi.org/10.1038/21867
- Sang PM, Lamb D, Bonner M, Schmidt S. 2013. Carbon sequestration and soil fertility of tropical tree plantations and secondary forest established on degraded land. Plant Soil 362: 187-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-012-1281-9
- Silver WL, Kueppers LM, Lugo AE, Ostertag R, Matzek V. 2004. Carbon sequestration and plant community dynamics following reforestation of tropical pasture. Eco App 14: 1115-1127. https://doi.org/10.1890/03-5123
- Silver WL, Osterlag R, Lugo AE. 2000. The potential for tropical forest restoration and reforestation for carbon accumulation and offset. Restoration Bio 8: 394-407.
- Sprugel DG. 1983. Correcting for bias in log-transformed allometric equations. Ecology 64: 209-210. https://doi.org/10.2307/1937343
- Toriyama J, Kato T, Siregar CA, Siringoringo HH, Ohta S, Kiyono Y. 2011. Comparison of depth- and mass-based approaches for estimating changes in forest soil carbon stocks: a case study in young plantations and secondary forests in West Java, Indonesia. Forest Eco Manage 262: 1659-1667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2011.07.027
- Waring RH, Running SW. 1998. Forest Ecosystems: Analysis at multiple scales. California, Academic Press.
- Yusuf H, Abas S. 1992. Planting indigenous tree species to rehabilitate degraded forest lands: the Bintulu project. In: Proceedings of a National Seminar on Indigenous Species for Forest Plantation, Selangor, 23-24 April, 1992 (Ahmad SS, Razali AK, Mohd Shahwahid O, Aminuddin M, Faridah HI, Mohd Hamami S, eds). Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, pp 36-44.
- (de Vriese) in Riparian Forest along Kayan Ulu River, Sarawak, Malaysia vol.2018, pp.1687-9376, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6329295