- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Community Commitment on Brand Equity Creation in Company-Initiated Online Brand Communities
- Jeong, So Won (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Sangmyung University) ;
- Ha, Sejin (Dept. of Retail Hospitality and Tourism Management, The University of Tennessee) ;
- Lee, Kyu-Hye (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2015.10.23
- Accepted : 2016.04.11
- Published : 2016.06.30
With the emergence of online communities, the role of online communities in establishing brand equity has been greatly emphasized. In order to enhance our understanding of commitment in online brand communities, the present study attempts to investigate how three dimensions of community commitment (continuance, affective, and normative commitment) influence each component of brand equity (brand awareness, brand association, perceived quality, and brand loyalty) in the context of company-initiated online brand community. An online survey was conducted with a sample of online brand community members. The results found differential impacts of three types of community commitment on brand equity components, emphasizing the role of continuance and affective commitment. Continuance community commitment positively influenced brand awareness and brand association. Affective community commitment positively affected perceived quality, while among the three, only continuance and affective community commitment influenced the enhancement of brand loyalty. The results suggest that brand marketers need to focus on continuance and affective commitment factors in their online communities to effectively enhance brand equity possessed by consumers. Theoretical and managerial implications are provided.
- Aaker, D. A. (1991). Managing brand equity. New York: Free Press.
- Aaker, D. A. (1996). Measuring brand equity across products and markets. California Management Review, 38(3), 102-120. doi:10.2307/41165845 https://doi.org/10.2307/41165845
- Aaker, D. A., & Keller, K. L. (1990). Consumer evaluations of brand extensions. Journal of Marketing, 54(1), 27-41. doi:10.2307/1252171 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252171
- Algesheimer, R., Dholakia, U. M., & Herrmenn, A. (2005). The social influence of brand community: Evidence from European car clubs. Journal of Marketing, 69(3), 19-34. doi:10.1509/jmkg.188.8.131.52363 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.184.108.40.206363
- Ambler, T. (1997). How much of brand equity is explained by trust? Manage Decision, 35(4), 283-292. doi:10.1108/00251749710169666 https://doi.org/10.1108/00251749710169666
- Arnold, M. J., & Reynolds, K. E. (2003). Hedonic shopping motivations. Journal of Retailing, 79(2), 77-95. doi:10.1016/S0022-4359(03)00007-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(03)00007-1
- Bateman, P. J., Gray P. H., & Butler, B. S. (2011). The impact of community commitment on participation in online communities. Information Systems Research, 22(4), 841-854. doi:10.1287/isre.1090.0265 https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1090.0265
- Bloemer, J. M., & Kasper, H. D. P. (1994). The impact of satisfaction on brand loyalty: Urging on classifying satisfaction and brand loyalty. Journal of Consumer Satisfaction and Dissatisfaction, 7(2), 152-160.
- Buil, I., Chernatony, L., & Martinez, E. (2008). A cross-national validation of the consumer-based brand equity scale. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 17(6), 384-392. doi:10.1108/10610420810904121 https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420810904121
- Chen, A., Lu, Y., Wang, B., Zhao, L., & Li, M. (2013). What drives content creation behavior on SNSs? A commitment perspective. Journal of Business Research, 66(12), 2529-2535. doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.05.045 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.05.045
- Choi, S. H., & Han, S. P. (2012). A study on the effect of on-line brand community characteristics and selfdetermination on the brand equity. Korean Journal of Consumer and Advertising Psychology, 13(1), 41-62. https://doi.org/10.21074/kjlcap.2012.13.1.41
- Jang, H., Olfman, L., Ko, I., Koh, J., & Kim, K. (2008). The influence of on-line brand community characteristics on community commitment and brand loyalty. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 12(3), 57-80. doi:10.2753/JEC1086-4415120304 https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415120304
- Keller, K. L. (1993). Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity. Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 1-22. doi:10.2307/1252054 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252054
- Kim, J. W., Choi, J., Qualls, W., & Han, K. (2008). It takes a marketplace community to raise brand commitment:The role of online communities. Journal of Marketing Management, 24(3-4), 409-431. doi:10.1362/026725708X306167 https://doi.org/10.1362/026725708X306167
- Ko, E., & Kwon, J. (2006). Impacts of characteristics of fashion on-line community on the community commitment and brand loyalty. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 30(4), 644-654.
- Markus, M. L., Manville, B., & Agres, C. (2000). What makes a virtual organization work? Sloan Management Review, 42, 13-26.
- McWilliam, G. (2000). Building stronger brands through online communities. Sloan Management Review, 41(3), 43-54.
- Meyer, J. P., & Herscovitch, L. (2001). Commitment in the workplace: Toward a general model. Human Resource Management Review, 11(3), 299-326. doi:10.1016/S1053-4822(00)00053-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(00)00053-X
- Morgan, R. A., & Hunt, S. D. (1994). The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing. Journal of Marketing, 58(7), 20-38. doi:10.2307/1252308
- Muniz, Jr. A. M., & O'Guinn, T. C. (2001). Brand community. Journal of Consumer Research, 27(4), 412-432. doi:10.1086/319618 https://doi.org/10.1086/319618
- Nunnally, J. C., & Berstein, I. H. (1994). Psychometric theory (3rd ed.). New York: McGraw Hill.
- Oliver, R. L. (1997). Satisfaction: A behavioral perspective on the consumer. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Rhee, K., & Choi, I. (2007). A study on brand equity formation process of on-line community: Structure relation of utilization motive and impression and brand equity. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 18(5), 23-38.
- Srivastava, R., & Shocker, A. D. (1991). Brand equity: A perspective on its meaning and measurement. Working Paper Series, Report Number 91-124. Cambridge, MA: Marketing Science Institute.
- Thompson, S. A., & Sinha, R. K. (2008). Brand communities and new product adoption: The influence and limits of oppositional loyalty. Journal of Marketing, 72(6), 65-80. doi:10.1509/jmkg.72.6.65 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.72.6.65
- Thompson, C. J., Rindfleisch, A., & Arsel, Z. (2006). Emotional branding and the strategic value of the Doppelganger brand image. Journal of Marketing, 70(1), 50-64. doi:10.1509/jmkg.2006.70.1.50 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.2006.70.1.50
- Yoo, B., & Donthu, N. (2001). Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale. Journal of Business Research, 52(1), 1-14. doi:10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00098-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00098-3
- Yoo, B., Donthu, N., & Lee, S. (2000). An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 28(2), 195-211. doi:10.1177/0092070300282002 https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300282002
- Zeithaml, V. A. (1988). Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: A means-end model and synthesis of evidence. Journal of Marketing, 52(3), 2-22. doi:10.2307/1251446 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- Zhang, N., Zhou, Z., Su, C., & Zhou, N. (2013). How do different types of community commitment influence brand commitment? The mediation of brand attachment. Cyberpsychology, behavior, and social networking, 16(11), 836-842. doi:10.1089/cyber.2012.0456 https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2012.0456