- Volume 38 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Granular Fertilizer Produced by Fly Ash from a Sewage Sludge Incinerator
하수슬러지 소각 비산재를 이용한 입상비료 조립 및 특성분석
- Kim, Seong-beom (Department of Environmental Engineering, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Lee, Wontae (Department of Environmental Engineering, Kumoh National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2016.03.28
- Accepted : 2016.10.24
- Published : 2016.10.31
This study assessed feasibility of making granular fertilizer with fly ash from a sewage sludge incinerator in Korea. Composition, characteristics, strength, and heavy metal contents of the granular fertilizers were investigated. Due to its high contents of phosphorus, fly ash from a sewage sludge incinerator could be used to make fertilizers. Granulation rates (2-4 mm granules) over 80% could be achieved as the fly ash contents were 15% or less of the fertilizer. Leaching tests of the fertilizers, based upon the Korean Standard Methods for Solid Wastes, showed the concentrations of heavy metals less than the risk limits. However, contents analysis of the fertilizers, based upon the Korean Standard Methods for Soils, experienced higher levels of heavy metals than the risk limits as the fly ash content exceeded 7% of the fertilizer. Thus, the fly ash needs to be added less than 7% of the fertilizer if there is no pretreatment to remove heavy metals.
Supported by : 한국산업단지공단, 환경부, 국가과학기술연구회
- Korea Ministry of Environment., "Sewer statistics,"(2011).
- Korea Ministry of Environment., "Sewer statistics,"(2014).
- Kim, S. W. and Yoo, H. C., "Melting Characteristics of Bottom Ash and Fly Ash from Municipal Solid Waste Incineration," J. Korean Environ., 24(5), 801-812(2002).
- Kishor, P., Ghosh, A. K. and Kumar, D., "Use of Flyash in Agriculture: A Way to Improve Soil Fertility and its Productivity," Asian J. Agric. Res., 1(14), 1819-1894(2010).
- Kim, S. B., Jwa, S. M., Moon, D. K., Han, H. R. and Chung, J. B., "Effects of Source and Application Rate of Phosphours on Growth and Arbuscular Mycorrhizae Formation of Trifoliate Orange in Volcanic Ash Soil," J. Korean Environ. Agric., 19(3), 206-212(2000).
- Min, J. H., Cho, H. Y. and Park, J. W., "Research on heavy metal stabilization of incinerator bottom ash through the process simulation," J. Korean Recy., P1-05(2012).
- Oh, S. J., Yun, H. S., Oh, S. M., Kim, S. C., Kim, R. Y., Seo, Y. H., Lee, K. S., Ok, Y. S. and Yang, J. E., "Effect of Fly Ash Fertilizer on Paddy Soil Quality and Rice Growth," J. Appl. Biol. Chem., 56(6), 229-234(2013). https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2013.036
- Choi, W. J., Park, K. M., Yoon, B. J., Kim, M. C. and Oh, K. J., "Recovery of Presource from Sewage Sludge by a Struvite-forming Method," J. Korean Environ., 31(7), 557-564(2009).
- Capp, J. P., "Power Plant Flyash Utilization for Land Reclamation in the Eastern United States. In: Reclamation of Drastically Disturbed Lands, Schaller," F.W. and P. Sutton (Eds.). Madison, WI., ASA., pp. 339-353(1978).
- Adriano, D. C., Page, A. L., Elseewi, A. A., Chang, A. C. and Straugham, I., "Utilization and disposal of fly-ash and coal residues in terrestrial ecosystem: A review," J. Environ. Qual., 9, 333-344(1980).
- Buck, J. K., Honston, R. J. and Beimborn, W. A., "Direct seedling of anthracite refuge using coal flyash as a major soil amendment" Proceedings of the Mining and Reclamation Conference and Exhibition, April, 23(26), 213-219(1990).
- Aitken, R. L., Campbell, D. J. and Bell, L. C., "Properties of Australian fly ash relevant to their agronomic utilization," Aust. J. Soil Res., 22, 443-453(1984). https://doi.org/10.1071/SR9840443
- Cerevelli, S., Petruzzelli, G., Perna A. and Menicagli, R., "Soil nitrogen and fly ash utilization: A laboratory investigation," Agrochemica, 30, 27-35(1986).
- Cetin, S. and Pehlivan, E., "The use of flyash as a low cost, environmentally friendly alternative to activated carbon for the removal of heavy metals from aqueous solutions," Colloids Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 298, 83-87(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2006.12.017
- Jang, S. K., Choi, D. I., Lim, C. H. and Lee, J. S., "Chemical Analysis of Fly Ashes from Municipal Solid Waste Incinerators," J. Anal. Sci. Technol., 13(2), 215-221(2000).
- Lee, W. K, Kim, J. S. and Kim, J. B., "Fractionation and Leaching Properties of Heavy Metals in Fly Ashes from three MSW Incinerators," J. Korean Environ., 20(3), 421-431(1998).
- Kim, H. J., Kim, N. W., Ko, Y. Z. and Bae, J. S., "Fundamental Research on the Applying to Construction Materials of MSWI fly-ashes," J. Korean Sci. Civi. Eng., 10, 3103-3108(2004).
- Jang, S. K., Choi, D. K., Lim, C. H. and Lee, J. S., "Chemical Analysis of Fly Ashes from Municipal Solid Waste Incinerators," J. Korean Anal. Sci., 13(2), 215-221(2004).
- Kim, S. B. and Lee, W. T., "Characterization of Fly Ash Produced from a Sewage Sludge Incineration Facility in Korea," J. Korean Environ., 38(2), 96-99(2016).