- Volume 17 Issue sup3
DOI QR Code
Incidence of Head and Neck Lymphoma in Guilan Province, Iran
- Basirat, Maryam (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Guilan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rabiei, Maryam (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Guilan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Bashardoust, Nazanin (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Guilan University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.06.01
The aim of this research was to describe the incidence and histopathological subtypes of head and neck lymphoma in Guilan province, Iran. In this retrospective study, all cases of head and neck cancers registered in Iranian Cancer Registry Program in Guilan province of Iran from 2004 to 2009 were obtained and included in the analysis. Out of 1,510 cases, 169 (11.2%) were reported as lymphomas (87 cases of non-Hodgkin, 67 cases of Hodgkin, and 13 cases of unknown type). The mean ages of males and females diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma were 30.4 and 28.7 years, respectively. For non-Hodgkin's lymphoma the respective figures were 50.5 and 49.3 years old. Among various histological subtypes of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, the diffuse large B-cell type (74.2%) was the most frequent while immunoblastic lymphoma (1.1%) was the least frequent. Nodular sclerosis (58.2%) and mixed cellularity (18.0%) types were most frequent among Hodgkin's lymphomas.
- Ali A, Al-Belushi BS, Waly MI, Al-Moundhri M, Burney IA (2013). Dietary and lifestyle factors and risk of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in Oman. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 841-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.841
- Anderson JR, Armitage JO, Weisenburger DD (1998) Epidemiology of the non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas: Distributions of the major subtypes differ by geographic locations. Ann Oncol, 9, 717-20. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008265532487
- Au W, Gascoyne R, Gallagher R, et al (2004). Hodgkin's lymphoma in Chinese migrants to British Columbia: a 25-year survey. Ann Oncol, 15, 626-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh132
- Au W, Gascoyne R, Klasa R, et al (2005). Incidence and spectrum of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in Chinese migrants to British Columbia. Br J Haematol, 128, 792-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2005.05387.x
- Baecklund E, Iliadou A, Askling J, et al (2006). Association of chronic inflammation, not its treatment, with increased lymphoma risk in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum, 54, 692-701. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.21675
- Bekmukhambetov Y, Mamyrbayev A, Jarkenov T, Makenova A, Imangazina Z (2014). Malignant neoplasm prevalence in the aktobe region of Kazakhstan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 8149-53.
- Bhurgri Y, Bhurgri A, Usman A, et al (2006). Epidemiological review of head and neck cancers in Karachi. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 195-200.
- Cantor KP, Blair A, Everett G, et al (1992). Pesticides and other agricultural risk factors for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma among men in Iowa and Minnesota. Cancer Res, 52, 2447-55.
- Christopher D (2000). Fletcher diagnostic histopathology of tumor. the thymys, 1271-74.
- Cocco P, Satta G, Dubois S, et al (2012). Lymphoma risk and occupational exposure to pesticides: results of the Epilymph study. Int J Occup Environ Med, 54, 1008-12.
- Etemad-Moghadam S, Tirgary F, Keshavarz S, Alaeddini M (2010). Head and neck non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a 20-year demographic study of 381 cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac, 39, 869-72.
- Hellings P, Jorissen M, Ceuppens J (1999). The Waldeyer’s ring. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg, 54, 237-41.
- Ikeda T, Kanaya T, Matsuda A, et al (2005). Clinicopathologic study of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in sinonasal and hard palate regions in 15 Japanese cases. ORL, 67, 23-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000084145
- Iranian Annual of national Cancer registration Report (2009). Tehran I.M.o.h., Deputy, for Health directory, C. C.o, 2009-10.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, Ward E (2010). Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin, 60, 277-300.
- Kemp S, Gallagher G, Kabani S, Noonan V, O'Hara C (2008). Oral non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: review of the literature and World Health Organization classification with reference to 40 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 105, 194-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2007.02.019
- Mohtasham N, Babakoohi S, Sarraf-Yadzy M, et al (2011). Oral and jaw lymphoma in an Iranian population. J Craniofac Surg, 22, 868-70. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0b013e31820f7d07
- Moulder J, Erdreich L, Malyapa R, et al (1999). Cell phones and cancer: What is the evidence for a connection?. J Radiat Res, 151, 513-31. https://doi.org/10.2307/3580028
- Muller AM, Ihorst G, Mertelsmann R, Engelhardt M (2005). Epidemiology of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL): trends, geographic distribution, and etiology. Ann Hematol, 84, 1-12.
- Neville BW (2009). Oral and maxillofacial pathology: Elsevier Brasil, 4.
- Paes FM, Kalkanis DG, Sideras PA, Serafini AN (2010). FDG PET/CT of extranodal involvement in non-hodgkin lymphoma and hodgkin disease 1. Radiographics, 30, 269-91.
- Rabiei M, Basirat M, Rezvani SM (2015). Trends in the incidence of oral and pharyngeal cancer (ICD00-14) in Guilan, north of Iran. J Oral Pathol Med, In Press.
- Radmard AR (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-6.
- Repacholi MH (2001). Health risks from the use of mobile phones. Toxicol Lett, 120, 323-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4274(01)00285-5
- Schinasi L, Leon ME (2014). Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and occupational exposure to agricultural pesticide chemical groups and active ingredients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 11, 4449-57. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph110404449
- Todd G, Michaels L (1974). Hodgkin’s disease involving Waldeyer’s lymphoid ring. Cancer, 34, 1769-78. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197411)34:5<1769::AID-CNCR2820340527>3.0.CO;2-9
- Triantafillidou K, Dimitrakopoulos J, Iordanidis F, Gkagkalis A (2012). Extranodal non-Hodgkin lymphomas of the oral cavity and maxillofacial region: a clinical study of 58 cases and review of the literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg Med Pathol, 70, 2776-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2012.01.018
- Wang C, Yuan C, He H, Bai O (2014). Clinicopathological features and prognostic analysis of 151 patients with primary extra-nodal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Zhonghua zhong liu za zhi, 36, 858-62.
- Yakymenko I, Sidorik E, Henshel D, Kyrylenko S (2014). Low intensity radiofrequency radiation: a new oxidant for living cells. Oxid Antioxid Med Sci, 3, 1-3. https://doi.org/10.5455/oams.240314.ed.002
- Yoon S O, Suh C, Lee DH, et al (2010). Distribution of lymphoid neoplasms in the Republic of Korea: analysis of 5318 cases according to the World Health Organization classification. Am J Hematol, 85, 760-4.
- Zapater E, Bagan J, Carbonell F, Basterra J. (2010). Malignant lymphoma of the head and neck. Oral Dis, 16, 119-28.