- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The relationship between the character, interpersonal relations, and adjustment to a college life of nursing students
간호대학생의 인성, 대인관계, 대학생활 적응과의 관계
- Sim, Sunsook (Dept. of Nursing, Kyungdong University) ;
- Bang, Miran (Dept. of Nursing, Kyungdong University)
- Received : 2016.08.24
- Accepted : 2016.12.08
- Published : 2016.12.31
This research investigated the relationship among character, interpersonal relations, and adjustment to college life of university nursing students as well as to identify the factors that affect college life. A self-report type survey was conducted on a total of 180 nursing students in a city between May 30 and Jun 09 of 2016. According to our findings, the relationship between the adjustment to school life and character (r=.506, p<.001) as well as between the adjustment to school life and personal relations (r=.585, p<.001) showed a significantly positive correlation in the medium level. With improved personal relationships and with higher level of character, nursing students appear to more successfully adjust to college life. It was also found that an explanatory power for the adjustment to college life of these factors is 46% (F=75.28, p<.001). The study results indicate that it is necessary to develop a program that can improve interpersonal relationships and character of nursing students in order to enhance the adjustment process to college life.
본 연구는 간호대학생을 대상으로 인성, 대인관계, 대학생활 적응간의 관계를 알아보고 대학생활 적응에 영향을 미치는 요인을 파악하고자 한다. W시에 소재한 간호대학생 180명을 대상으로 2016년 5월 30일부터 6월 9일까지 자가보고식 설문조사를 시행하였다. 수집된 자료는 SPSS 23.0 프로그램을 이용하여 Mann-whitney U-test, Kruskal-wallis test, Pearson's correlation coefficients, multiple regression로 분석하였다. 연구결과 간호대학생의 인성 수준은 평균 4.42점(범위 1-6점), 대인 관계는 평균 3.70점(범위 1-5점), 대학생활 적응은 평균 3.33점(범위 1-5)으로 중간수준 이상이었다. 간호대학생의 인성, 대인 관계, 대학생활 적응간의 관계는 대학생활 적응과 인성(r=.506, p<.001), 대학생활 적응과 대인관계(r=.585, p<.001)은 통계적으로 유의한 중정도의 양의 상관관계로 나타났다. 간호대학생의 대인관계가 좋을수록, 인성의 행동 영역 수준이 높을수록 대학생활 적응을 잘하는 것으로 나타났으며 대학생활 적응에 대한 설명력은 46%로 나타났다(F=75.28, p<.001). 본 연구결과에 의하면, 간호대학생의 대학생활 적응을 증진시키기 위해서는 간호교육과정 개발 시 간호대학생의 인성 특성을 고려할 것과 간호대학생의 대인관계를 증진시킬 수 있는 실천프로그램 개발이 필요할 것이다.
- M. K. Lee & D. Y. Jung, "A study of nursing tasks, nurses' job stress and job satisfaction in hospitals with no guardians", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 287-296, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.287 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.287
- J. H. Park, "Need of character education in nursing education", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 3321-3332, 2013.
- H. S. Jeong, & K. L. Lee, "Factors affecting nursing students' interpersonal relationship ability", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 2635-2647, 2012.
- M. S. Ko, "Ego-resilience and emotional intelligence, stress coping strategies & nursing student's adjustment to college", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 280-291, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.10.280 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.10.280
- The National Institute of the Korean Language, korean standard unabridged dictionary, 2016, The National Institute of the Korean Language web site. (Available at http://stdweb2.korean.go.kr/search/List_dic.jsp).
- Korean Educational Development Institute, "Research Analysis on the Condition of School's Character Education-focusing on Middle School", Korean Educational Development Institute, Seoul, 2009.
- S. J. Kim, "A study of a character education plan according to character levels and requirements for college students", The Korean Journal of Human Development, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 1-19, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15284/kjhd.2016.23.2.1 https://doi.org/10.15284/kjhd.2016.23.2.1
- M. H. Seong, & E. J. Kim, "An analysis on college students' awareness of the importance of personality education, personality development level and their demand for personality education", Journal of Ethics Education Studies, vol. 38, pp. 177-202, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18850/JEES.2015.38.07 https://doi.org/10.18850/JEES.2015.38.07
- S. J. Park, & K. H. Ko, "TA study on the personality educational method of university students", Korean Journal of Parent Education, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 35-50, 2014.
- J. H. Lee, M. S. Choi, & H. H. Park, "The effect of character education programs for university students", The Korean Journal of the Human Development, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 205-220, 2009.
- Thomas. R. K, Health communication, New York, Springer, 2006.
- S. H. Kim, & G. H. Park, "The development of the interpersonal relationship harmony program for university students", Korea Journal of Counseling, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 375-393, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15703/kjc.11.1.201003.375 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.11.1.201003.375
- W. G. Kim, & H. I. Chung, "Effects of korean enneagram program on the ego-identity, interpersonal relationship, and self-leadership of nursing college students", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 393-404, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.4.393 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.4.393
- H. J. An, & B. Y. Chung, "Self-esteem and social anxiety of nursing student", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 224-228, 2006.
- H. S. Song, E. S. Na, Y. H. Jeon, & K. I. Jung, "Factors influencing college life adaptation in nursing students", Journal of The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 72-81, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2016.03.23.1.72 https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2016.02.23.1.72
- J. W. Lee, & Y. S. Eo, "Effect of clinical stress and stress coping on college adjustment in nursing students", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 125-134, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.2.125 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.2.125
- G. S. Yoon, & S. Y. Kim, "Influences of job stress and burnout on turnover intention of nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 507-516, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, & A. Buchner, "G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences", Behavior Research Methods, vol. 39, pp. 175-191, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Y. S. Lee, H. Y. Kang, & S. J. Kim, "A validation study of the character index instrument for college students", Journal of Ethics Education Studies, vol. 31, pp. 261-282, 2013.
- A. Schlein, & B. G. Guerney, "Relationship enhancement", Sanfrancisco, CA: Josey-Bass, 1971.
- S. M. Moon, "A Study on the effect of human relations training of university students", Journal of Gyeongsang National University, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 195-203, 1980.
- E. I. Jeong, & Y. H. Park, "Development and validation of the college adjustment scale", The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 69-92, 2009.
- M. R. Lee, & M. H. Nam, "Interpersonal relationship and the influencing factors in nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 509-517, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.509 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.509
- H. S. Sim, & S. Y. Ahn, "The influence of ego state and interpersonal skill among nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 269-275, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.269 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.269
- M. Jung, "Influence of ego states, self esteem, and empathies on interpersonal relationship of nursing students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 4614-4620, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4614 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4614
- J. S. Han, "Factors affecting nursing students' adjustment to college life", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 4459-4466, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4459 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4459
- Y. K. Kwag, "Effect of self-esteem, ego-resilience, social support on nursing student's adjustment to college", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 2178-2186, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2178 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2178
- S. Y. Jeon, "The relationship between social support, health status, college adjustment and academic achievement in college", The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 93-115, 2010.
- E. A. Kim, & K. S. Jang, "Developing a prediction model regarding adjustment of nursing students to college life", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 312-322, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.312 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.312
- E. J. Shin & Y. S. Park, "Development and evaluation of a mentoring program designed to assist nursing students adjust to life in college and strengthen their leadership abilities", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 4595-4603, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4595 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4595
- S. B. Choi, "The relationship among self-leadership, creative personality and innovative behaviour and study satisfaction", Management Information Systems review, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 611-638, 2012. https://doi.org/10.29214/damis.2012.31.4.026
- S. H. Sok, D. S. Shin, & K. B. Kim, "A study of correlation between interpersonal relationship and self-efficacy of nursing students", Journal Korean Academic Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 475-481, 2006.
- J. Y. Ahn, & H. K. Lim, "College adjustment of female students", Korean Journal of Human Ecology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 233-239, 2005.
- C. W. Kim, & S. L. Yoo, "Relationships among types of leisure activity participation, stress level, and adaptation to campus life of educational college students", Journal of Coaching Development, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 157-168, 2006.
- G. E. Lee, "Connection between university students' creative personality and immersion", Korean Society for Creativity Education, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 45-59, 2010.
- M. R. Lee, & H. S. Jeon, "Personal types, ego-resilience, and college adaptation in nursing and health care related students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 8861-8869, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8861 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8861