- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER EFFECTS ON MHD NATURAL CONVECTION FLOW PAST AN INFINITE INCLINED PLATE WITH RAMPED TEMPERATURE
- SHERI, SIVA REDDY (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, GITAM UNIVERSITY, HYDERABAD CAMPUS) ;
- SURAM, ANJAN KUMAR (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, GITAM UNIVERSITY, HYDERABAD CAMPUS) ;
- MODULGUA, PRASANTHI (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS,CMRTC)
- Received : 2016.10.04
- Accepted : 2016.12.09
- Published : 2016.12.25
This work is devoted to investigate heat and mass transfer effects on MHD natural convection flow past an inclined plate with ramped temperature numerically. The dimensionless governing equations for this investigation are solved by using finite element method. The effects of angle inclination, buoyancy ratio parameter, permeability parameter, magnetic parameter, Prandtl number, heat generation, thermal radiation, Eckert number, Schmidt number, chemical reaction parameter and time on velocity, temperature and concentration fields are studied and presented with the aid of figures. The effects of the pertinent parameters on skin friction, rate of heat transfer and mass transfer coefficients are presented in tabular form. The numerical results are compared graphically with previously published result as special case of the present investigation and results found to be in good agreement.
- M.S.I. Abdallah and B. Zeghmati, Natural convection heat and mass transfer in the boundary layer along a vertical cylinder with opposing buoyancies, Journal of Applied and Fluid Mechanics, 4(2011), 15-21.
- B.I. Olajuwon, Convection heat and mass transfer in a hydromagnetic flow of a second grade fluid in the presence of thermal radiation and thermal diffusion, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 38(2011), 377-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2010.11.006
- V. Bisht, M. Kumar and Z. Uddin, Effects of variable thermal conductivity and chemical reaction on steady mixed convection boundary layer flow with heat and mass transfer inside a cone due to a point sink, Journal of Applied and Fluid Mechanics, 4 (2011), 59-63.
- N.T.M. Eldabe, E.M.A. Elbashbeshy, W.S.A. Hasanin and E.M. Elsaid, Unsteady motion of MHD viscous incompressible fluid with heat and mass transfer through porous medium near a moving vertical plate, International Journal of Energy and Technology, 3 (2011), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.7763/IJET.2011.V3.191
- O.D. Makinde, Heat and mass transfer by MHD mixed convection stagnation point flow toward a vertical plate embedded in a highly porous medium with radiation and internal heat generation, Meccanica, 47(2012), 1173-1184. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-011-9502-5
- I.U. Mbeledogu, A.R.C. Amakiri and A. Ogulu, Unsteady MHD free convective flow of a compressible fluid past a moving vertical plate in the presence of radiative heat transfer, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 50 (2007), 1668-1674. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2006.10.032
- A. Ishak, R. Nazar and I. Pop, Magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) flow and heat transfer due to a stretching cylinder, Energy Convers. Management, 49 (2008), 3265-3269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2007.11.013
- M.F.El-amin, M.A.El-hakiem and M.A.Mansour, Effect of viscous dissipation on a power law fluid over plate embedded in porous medium, Heat and Mass Transfer, 39 (2003), 807-813. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-003-0415-2
- S.R. Sheri and R.S. Raju, Soret effect on unsteady MHD free convective flow past a semi infinite vertical plate in the presence of viscous dissipation, International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 16(2015), 132-144. https://doi.org/10.1080/15502287.2015.1009583
- M.N.R. Shekar and S.M. Hussain, Effect of viscous dissipation on MHD flow of a free convection power-law fluid with a pressure gradient, International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering & Technology (IJARET), 4 (2013), 302-307.
- S. Suneetha, N.B. Reddy and V.R. Prasad, Thermal radiation effects on MHD free convection flow past an impulsively started vertical plate with variable surface temperature and concentration, Journal of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, 5 (2008), 57-70.
- R.D. Cess, The interaction of thermal radiation with free convection heat transfer, International Journal of Heat Mass Transfer, 9(1966), 1269-1277. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(66)90119-0
- J.R. Howell, R.Siegel and M.P.Mengu c, Thermal radiation heat transfer. 5th ed. FL, CRC Press, 2010.
- S.P.A. Devi and W.J.S. Raj, Thermo-diffusion effects on unsteady hydromagnetic free convection flow with heat and mass transfer past a moving vertical plate with time dependent suction and heat source in a slip flow regime, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 7 (2011), 20-51.
- M. Venkateswarlu, G.V.R. Reddy, and D.V. Lakshmi, Thermal diffusion and radiation effects on unsteady MHD free convection heat and mass transfer flow past a linearly accelerated vertical porous plate with variable temperature and mass diffusion, Journal of the Korean Society for Industrial and Applied mathematics, 18(2014), 257-268. https://doi.org/10.12941/jksiam.2014.18.257
- W. Ibrahim and B. Shanker, Unsteady MHD boundary-layer flow and heat transfer due to stretching sheet in the presence of heat source or sink by Quasi-linearization technique, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 8(7) (2012), 18-30.
- S.M. Ibrahim and N.B. Reddy, Radiation and mass transfer effects on MHD free convection flow along a stretching surface with viscous dissipation and heat generation, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 8 (2012), 1-21.
- D.C. Kesavaiah, P.V. Satyanarayana and S. Venkataramana, Effects of the chemical reaction and radiation absorption on an unsteady MHD convective heat and mass transfer flow past a semi-infinite vertical permeable moving plate embedded in a porous medium with heat source and suction, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 7 (2011), 52-69.
- S. Shivaiah and J. Anand rao, Chemical reaction effect on an unsteady MHD free convection flow past a vertical porous plate in the presence of suction or injection, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 39 (2011), 185-208.
- M. Venkateswarlu, G.V. Reddy and D.V. Lakshmi, Radiation effects on MHD boundary layer flow of liquid metal over a porous stretching surface in porous medium with heat generation, Journal of the Korean Society for Industrial and Applied mathematics, 19(2015), 83-102. https://doi.org/10.12941/jksiam.2015.19.083
- P. Chandran, N.C. Sacheti and A.K. Singh, Natural convection near a vertical plate with ramped wall temperature, Heat and Mass Transfer, 41(2005), 459-464. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-004-0568-7
- G.S. Seth, M.D.S. Ansari and R. Nandkeolyar, MHD natural convection flow with radiative heat transfer past an impulsively moving plate with ramped wall temperature, Heat Mass Transfer, 47(2011), 551-561. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-010-0740-1
- Z. Ismail, A. Hussanan I. Khan and S. Shafie, MHD and radiation effects on natural convection flow in a porous medium past an infinite inclined plate with ramped wall temperature: an exact analysis, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 45 (2013), 77-86.
- M. Narahari, S. Tippa, R. Pendyala and M.Y. Nayan, Ramped temperature effect on unsteady MHD natural convection flow past an infinite inclined plate in the presence of radiation, heat source and chemical reaction, Recent Advances in Applied and Theoretical Mechanics. (2015).
- S.R. Sheri, R.S. Raju and S. Anjankumar, Transient approach to heat absorption and radiative heat transfer past an impulsively moving plate with ramped temperature, Procedia Engineering, 27(2015), 893-900.
- K.J. Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1996.
- J.N. Reddy, An Introduction to the Finite Element Method, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill BookCompany, NewYork, 2006.