- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
EFFECTS OF SORET AND DUFOUR ON NATURAL CONVECTIVE FLUID FLOW PAST A VERTICAL PLATE EMBEDDED IN POROUS MEDIUM IN PRESENCE OF THERMAL RADIATION VIA FEM
- RAJU, R. SRINIVASA (DEPARTMENT OF ENGINEERING,MATHEMATICS, GITAM UNIVERSITY, HYDERABAD CAMPUS)
- Received : 2016.07.11
- Accepted : 2016.12.12
- Published : 2016.12.25
Finite element method has been applied to solve the fundamental governing equations of natural convective, electrically conducting, incompressible fluid flow past an infinite vertical plate surrounded by porous medium in presence of thermal radiation, viscous dissipation, Soret and Dufour effects. In this research work, the results of coupled partial differential equations are found numerically by applying finite element technique. The sway of significant parameters such as Soret number, Dufour number, Grashof number for heat and mass transfer, Magnetic field parameter, Thermal radiation parameter, Permeability parameter on velocity, temperature and concentration evaluations in the boundary layer region are examined in detail and the results are shown in graphically. Furthermore, the effect of these parameters on local skin friction coefficient, local Nusselt number and Sherwood numbers is also investigated. A very good agreement is noticed between the present results and previous published works in some limiting cases.
- D. A. Nield and A. Bejan, Convection in porous media, Springer, NewYork, 2006.
- F. Garoosi, G. Bagheri and M.M. Rashidi, Two phase simulation of natural convection and mixed convection of the nanofluid in a square cavity, Powder Technology, 275 (2015), 239-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2015.02.013
- F. Garoosi, L. Jahanshaloo, M.M. Rashidi, A. Badakhsh and M.A. Ali, Numerical Simulation of Natural Convection of the Nanofluid in Heat Exchangers using a Buongiorno Model, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 254 (2015) 183-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2014.12.116
- M.M. Rashidi, B. Rostami, N. Freidoonimehr and S. Abbasbandy, Free convective heat and mass transfer for MHD fluid flow over a permeable vertical stretching sheet in the presence of the radiation and buoyancy effects, Ain Shams Engineering Journal, 5 (2014), 901-912. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2014.02.007
- M. Sheikholeslami, M.M. Rashidi and D.D. Ganji, Numerical investigation of magnetic nanofluid forced convective heat transfer in existence of variable magnetic field using two phase model, Journal of Molecular Liquids, 212 (2015), 117-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2015.07.077
- M.M. Rashidi, M. Ferdows, A. Basiri Parsa and S. Abelman, MHD Natural Convection with Convective Surface Boundary Condition over a flat plate, Abstract in Applied Analysis, 2014 (2014), Article ID 923487, 10 pages.
- M.M. Rashidi, T. Hayat, M. Keimanesh and A.A. Hendi, New Analytical Method for the Study of Natural Convection Flow of a Non-Newtonian, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, 23 (2013) 436-450. https://doi.org/10.1108/09615531311301236
- Kang Cao and John Baker, Non-continuum effects on natural convection-radiation boundary layer flow from a heated vertical plate, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 90 (2015), 26-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.05.014
- A. Andreozzi and O. Manca, Radiation effects on natural convection in a vertical channel with an auxiliary plate, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 97 (2015), 41-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2015.05.013
- S.O. Adesanya, E.O. Oluwadare, J.A. Falade and O.D. Makinde, Hydromagnetic natural convection flow between vertical parallel plates with time-periodic boundary conditions, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 396 (2015), 295-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2015.07.096
- S. Sivaiah and R. Srinivasa Raju, Finite element solution of heat and mass transfer flow with Hall current heat source and viscous dissipation, Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (English Edition), 34 (2013), 559-570. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10483-013-1690-8
- B. Ganga, S. Mohamed Yusuff Ansari, N. Vishnu Ganesh and A.K. Abdul Hakeem, MHD radiative boundary layer flow of nanofluid past a vertical plate with internal heat generation/absorption, viscous and Ohmic dissipation effects, Journal of Nigerian Mathematical Society, 34 (2015), 181-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnnms.2015.04.001
- V. Ramachandra Prasad and N. Bhaskar Reddy, Radiation and mass transfer effects on an unsteady MHD free convection flow past a heated vertical plate in a porous medium with viscous dissipation, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 34 (2007), 135-160. https://doi.org/10.2298/TAM0702135P
- M.S. Dada and A.B. Disu, Heat transfer with radiation and temperature dependent heat source in MHD free convection flow in a porous medium between two vertical wavy walls, Journal of Nigerian Mathematical Society, 34 (2015), 200-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnnms.2014.12.001
- Nabil T.M. Eldabe, Sallam N. Sallam and Mohamed Y. Abou-zeid, Numerical study of viscous dissipation effect on free convection heat and mass transfer of MHD non-Newtonian fluid flow through a porous medium, Journal of Egyptian Mathematical Society, 20 (2012), 139-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joems.2012.08.013
- Md. Ziaul Haque, Md. Mahmud Alam, M. Ferdows and A. Postelnicu, Micropolar fluid behaviors on steady MHD free convection and mass transfer flow with constant heat and mass fluxes, joule heating and viscous dissipation, Journal of King Saud University-Engineering Science, 24 (2012), 71-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jksues.2011.02.003
- Dulal Pal, Babulal Talukdar, Combined effects of Joule heating and chemical reaction on unsteady magnetohydrodynamic mixed convection of a viscous dissipating fluid over a vertical plate in porous media with thermal radiation, Mathematics and Computer Modelling, 54 (2011), 3016-3036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcm.2011.07.030
- H. Dessie and N. Kishan, MHD effects on heat transfer over stretching sheet embedded in porous medium with variable viscosity, viscous dissipation and heat source/sink, Ain Shams Engineering Journal, 5 (2014), 967-977. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2014.03.008
- K.V. S. Raju, T. Sudhakar Reddy, M. C. Raju, P. V. Satya Narayana and S. Venkataramana, MHD convective flow through porous medium in a horizontal channel with insulated and impermeable bottom wall in the presence of viscous dissipation and Joule heating, Ain Shams Engineering Journal, 5 (2014), 543-551. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2013.10.007
- M. Gnaneswara Reddy, Influence of thermal radiation, viscous dissipation and Hall current on MHD convection flow over a stretched vertical flat plate, Ain Shams Engineering Journal, 5 (2014), 169-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2013.08.003
- E.R.G. Eckeret and R.M. Drake, Analysis of heat and mass transfer, McGraw Hill, New York, (1972).
- Siva Reddy Sheri and R. Srinivasa Raju, Soret effect on unsteady MHD free convective flow past a semiinfinite vertical plate in the presence viscous dissipation, International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 16 (2015), 132-141. https://doi.org/10.1080/15502287.2015.1009583
- R. Srinivasa Raju, K. Sudhakar and M. Rangamma, The effects of thermal radiation and Heat source on an unsteady MHD free convection flow past an infinite vertical plate with thermal diffusion and diffusion thermo, Journal of Institution of Engineers: Series C, 94 (2013), 175-186. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40032-013-0063-3
- M.M. Rashidi and E. Erfani, Analytical method for solving steady MHD convective and slip flow due to a rotating disk with viscous dissipation and Ohmic heating, Engineering Computations, 29 (2012), 562-579. https://doi.org/10.1108/02644401211246283
- M.M. Rashidi, M. Ali, B. Rostami, P. Rostami and G.N. Xie, Heat and Mass transfer for MHD viscoelastic fluid flow over a vertical stretching sheet with considering Soret and Dufour effects, Mathematics Problems in Engineering, 2015 (2014), 1-12.
- M.M. Rashidi, T. Hayat, E. Erfani, S.A.M. Pour and A.A. Hendi, Simultaneous effects of partial slip and thermal-diffusion and diffusion-thermo on steady MHD convective flow due to a rotating disk, Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 16 (2011), 4303-4317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnsns.2011.03.015
- D. Srinivasacharya and Ch. RamReddy, Soret and Dufour effects on mixed convection in a Non-Darcy Micropolar Fluid, International Journal of Nonlinear Science, 11 (2011), 246-255.
- Gh.R. Kefayati, FDLBM simulation of entropy generation in double diffusive natural convection of power-law fluids in an enclosure with Soret and Dufour effects, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 89 (2015), 267-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.05.058
- A.C. Cogley, W.G. Vincenti and S.E.Gill, Differential approximation for radiative transfer in a non-gray-gas near equilibrium, AIAA Journal, 6 (1968), 551-553. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.4538
- R. Bhargava and P. Rana, Finite element solution to mixed convection in MHD flow of micropolar fluid along a moving vertical cylinder with variable conductivity, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 7 (2011), 29-51.
- Y-Y. Lin and S-P. Lo, Finite element modeling for chemical mechanical polishing process under different back pressures, J. Mat. Proc. Tech., 140 (2003), 646-652. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(03)00767-2
- W. Dettmer and D. Peric, A computational framework for fluid-rigid body interaction: finite element formulation and applications, Computational Methods in Mathematics and Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 195 (2006), 1633-1666. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2005.05.033
- A. Hansbo and P. Hansbo, A finite element method for the simulation of strong and weak discontinuities in solid mechanics. Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engg., 193 (2004), 3523-3540. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2003.12.041
- K. J. Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice-Hall, New Jersy (1996).
- J. N. Reddy, An Introduction to the Finite Element Method, McGraw-Hill, New York (1985).