- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of an Organ Donation Education on Undergraduate Students' Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Will to Organ Donation
장기기증 교육이 대학생의 장기기증에 대한 지식, 태도, 실천의지에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Jung Sook (Department of Nursing, Korean Bible University) ;
- Jang, In Sun (Department of Nursing, Korean Bible University)
- Received : 2016.02.17
- Accepted : 2016.07.19
- Published : 2016.11.30
Purpose: This study aimed to investigate the effects of organ donation education on undergraduate students' knowledge, attitude and practice will to organ donation. Methods: The study used a quasi-experimental design. A total of 164 students from K university, Seoul, Korea were recruited; 74 in the experimental group and 90 in the control group. The experimental group received an education on organ donation developed by researchers. A structured questionnaire was used to measure the student's knowledge, attitude and practice will to organ donation before and after the education. Data were analyzed using t-test,
Supported by : 한국성서대학교
- Korean Network for Organ Sharing. 2016 Homepage[Internet]. Seoul: Korean Network for Organ Sharing; 2016 [cited 2016 February 11]. Available from: https://www.konos.go.kr.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2014 Domestic Sharing Status Results [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2015. 2016 [cited 2016 February 11]. Available from: http://129.go.kr/news/news02_view.jsp?n= 8523.
- Kim HC, Kim HW. The issues and suggestions of organ transplant in korea. Ewha Law Journal. 2013;17(4):225-251.
- Kwon YM, Yeun EJ. Subjectivity on organ donation and transplantation. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2000;30(6):1437-1454. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.6.1437
- Kim DJ. A study on the factors affecting people's attitude toward organ donation. Health and Social Welfare Review. 2003;23(2):96-135.
- Kim MO, Joo SJ, Choi JH, Kim KS, Yoo M, Kim HJ. Knowledge, attitude, and will for organ donation of nursing students and non-nursing students toward the brain death organ donation. The Korean Society for Medical Ethics. 2012;15(2):231-243.
- Lee JA, Kim SY. The knowledge and attitude of medical students towards the organ donation. The Journal of the Korean Society for Transplantation. 2008;22:120-129.
- Oh NS, Park JY, Han CH. Knowledge and attitude of university student' on brain death and organ donation. Korean Public Health Research. 2006;32(2):85-93.
- Park HH, Kim YJ, Kim JH, Park MH, Kim YG, Kim YB, et al. Level of knowledge and attitude about organ donation in an university students. Journal of Korean Clinical Health Science. 2015;3(1):299-310. http://dx.doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2015.3.1.299 https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2015.3.1.299
- Choi HJ. The effect of university students' knowledge on attitude and practice will to organ donation in brain dead donors. [master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University, 2013. p.1-88.
- Shon YH, Cho CM. Public's attitude to organ transplants and factors influencing attitudes. The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2002;9(2):279-287.
- McGlade D, Pierscionek B. Can education alter attitudes, behaviour and knowledge about organ donation? A pretest-post-test study. BMJ. 2013;30(3):e003961. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003961
- Rey JW, Grass V, Galle PR, Werner C, Hoffman A, Kiesslich R, et al. Education in organ donation among students in Germany - results of an intervention study. Annals of Transplantation. 2013;16(18):23-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.12659/AOT.883794 https://doi.org/10.12659/AOT.883794
- Yilmaz TU. Importance of education in organ donation. Experimental and Clinical Transplantation. 2011;9(6):370-375.
- You HS. The effect of brain death organ donation education on nurses' knowledge and attitude. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2009;15(2):57-65.
- Kim HI, Cha H. The effect of social capital and interpersonal communication on the posthumous organ donation intentions: Application and expansion of the theory of planned behavior. Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies. 2010;54(6):173-198.
- Kim EA, Choi SE. Structural equation modeling on living and brain death organ donation intention in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2015;45(6):802-811. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.6.802 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.6.802
- Choi R, Hwang BD. The influence of perceptions and attitudes of university students toward withdrawing life-sustaining treatment on intention to organ donation. The Journal of Korean Bioethics Association. 2012;13(2):35-47.
- Kim SY, Lee HO. A study on the persuasive effect of narrative in the context of organ donation. Speech & Communication. 2007;7:76-108.
- Kim AH. Nurse's attitudes on organ donation in brain dead donors. The Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care. 2006;9(1):11-16.
- Waterman AD, Rodrigue JR. Transplant and organ donation education: what matters?. Progress in Transplantation. 2009;19(1):7-9. https://doi.org/10.7182/prtr.19.1.d2441w863vr16812
- Yoo HR. A study on knowledge and attitude of intensive care unit nurses regarding brain dead organ transplantation. [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sungkyunkwan University; 2004. p.1-64.
- Kim YH. A study on the knowledge and attitude of civil servants at city, county, ward offices and health centers engaged in organ transplant registration upon organ donation and transplantation. [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2010. p.1-75.
- Kang HY. A study on nursing college students' knowledge and attitudes toward brain death, organ donation and organ transplantation. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 1999;5(1):7-19.
- Sung MH, Son EY, Lee SE. A study on knowledge and attitude of nurses regarding brain death organ donation. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2006;12(1):125-135.
- Rykhoff ME, Coupland C, Dionne J, Fudge B, Gayle C, Ortner TL, et al. A clinical group's attempt to raise awareness of organ and tissue donation. Progress in Transplantation. 2010;20(1):33-9. https://doi.org/10.7182/prtr.20.1.g72751q64l63g7w5
- Lee JW. The ethical problems on defining brain death and organ transplantation. Chulhak-Ronchong, Journal of the New Korean Philosophical Association. 2012;69(3):271-295.