- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development of a Physics-Based Design Framework for Aircraft Design using Parametric Modeling
- Hong, Danbi (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Park, Kook Jin (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Seung Jo (Flight Vehicle Research Center, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2015.06.02
- Accepted : 2015.07.02
- Published : 2015.09.30
Handling constantly evolving configurations of aircraft can be inefficient and frustrating to design engineers, especially true in the early design phase when many design parameters are changeable throughout trade-off studies. In this paper, a physics-based design framework using parametric modeling is introduced, which is designated as DIAMOND/AIRCRAFT and developed for structural design of transport aircraft in the conceptual and preliminary design phase. DIAMOND/AIRCRAFT can relieve the burden of labor-intensive and time-consuming configuration changes with powerful parametric modeling techniques that can manipulate ever-changing geometric parameters for external layout of design alternatives. Furthermore, the design framework is capable of generating FE model in an automated fashion based on the internal structural layout, basically a set of design parameters describing the structural members in terms of their physical properties such as location, spacing and quantities. The design framework performs structural sizing using the FE model including both primary and secondary structural levels. This physics-based approach improves the accuracy of weight estimation significantly as compared with empirical methods. In this study, combining a physics-based model with parameter modeling techniques delivers a high-fidelity design framework, remarkably expediting otherwise slow and tedious design process of the early design phase.
- Raymer, D. P., Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach, 4th ed., AIAA Education Series, AIAA Inc., 2006.
- Sohlenius, G., "Concurrent Engineering", CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 41, Issue 2, 1992, pp. 645-655. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)63251-X
- Sadraey, M. H., Aircraft Design: A Systems Engineering Approach, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., West Sussex, UK, 2013.
- Sobieszczanski-Sobieski, J. and Haftka, R. T., "Multidisciplinary aerospace design optimization: survey of recent developments", Structural Optimization, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1997, pp. 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01197554
- Gloudemans, J. R., Davis, P. C. and Gelhausen, P. A., "A rapid geometry modeler for conceptual aircraft", Proceedings of 34th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 1996, pp. 1-9. DOI: 10.2514/6.1996-52 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.1996-52
- Mawhinney, P., Price, M., Curran, R., Benard, E., Murphy, A. and Raghunathan, S., "Geometry-Based Approach to Analysis Integration for Aircraft Conceptual Design", Proceedings of 5th Annual Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Forum, Arlington, VA, 2005, pp. 1-9. DOI: DOI: 10.2514/6.2005-7481 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2005-7481
- Rodriguez, D. L. and Sturdza, P., "A Rapid Geometry Engine for Preliminary Aircraft Design", Proceedings of 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 2006, pp. 1-12. DOI: 10.2514/6.2006-929 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2006-929
- Hahn, A.S., "Vehicle Sketch Pad: A Parametric Geometry Modeler for Conceptual Aircraft Design", Proceedings of 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Orlando, FL, 2010, pp. 1-12. DOI: 10.2514/6.2010-657 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2010-657
- Silva, J. and Chang, K. -H., "Design Parameterization for Concurrent Design and Manufacturing of Mechanical Systems", Concurrent Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2011, pp. 3-14. DOI: 10.1106/106329302024048
- Amadori, K., Jouannet, C. and Krus, P., "A Framework for Aerodynamic and Structural Optimization in Conceptual Design", 25th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, 2007, pp. 25-28.
- Ardema, M. D., Chambers, M. C., Patron, A. P., Hahn, A. S., Miura, H. and Moore, M. D., "Analytical Fuselage and Wing Weight Estimation of Transport Aircraft", NASA Technical Memorandum 110392, 1996. DOI: 10.4271/965583 https://doi.org/10.4271/965583
- Cavagna, L., Ricci, S. and Travaglini, L., "NeoCASS: an integrated tool for structural sizing, aeroelastic analysis and MDO at conceptual design level", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 47, No. 8, 2011, pp. 621-635. DOI: 10.1016/j.paerosci.2011.08.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2011.08.006
- Elham, A., La Rocca, G. and Van Tooren, M. J. L., "Development and implementation of an advanced, designsensitive method for wing weight estimation", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol.29, 2013, pp. 100-113. DOI: 10.1016/j.ast.2013.01.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2013.01.012
- Bindolino, G., Ghiringhelli, G., Ricci, S. and Terraneo, M., "Multilevel Structural Optimization for Preliminary Wing-Box Weight Estimation", Journal of Aircraft, Vol.47, No.2, 2010, pp. 475-489. DOI: 10.2514/1.41552 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.41552
- Chen, B., Luo, M., Shen, Z., Wu, Z., Man, Y. and Fang, L., "Wing weight estimation considering constraints of structural strength and stiffness in aircraft conceptual design", International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Science, Vol. 15, No. 4, 2014, pp. 383-395. DOI: 10.5139/IJASS.2014.15.4.183 https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2014.15.4.383
- Roskam, J., Airplane Design, DAR Corporation, Kansas, 2003.
- Torenbeek, E., Advanced Aircraft Design, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., West Sussex, UK, 2013.
- Rizzi, A., "Modeling and simulating aircraft stability and control-The SimSAC project", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 47, 2011, pp. 573-588. DOI: 10.1016/j.paerosci.2011.08.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2011.08.004
- Kim, S. J., Moon, J. K. and Kim, M. K., "Capabilities and Performance of General Purpose Parallel Finite Element Program, DIAMOND/IPSAP", Proceeding of Tri-University Workshop on Aero-Structural Mechanics & Aerospace Engineering (NASPC/TUWMA2008), Beijing, China, 2008.
- Kim, J. H., Lee, C. S. and Kim, S. J., "High-Performance Domainwise Parallel Direct Solver for Large-Scale Structural Analysis", AIAA Journal, Vol. 43, No. 3, 2005, pp.662-670. DOI: 10.2514/1.11171 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.11171
- Samareh, J. A., "Discrete data transfer technique for fluid-structure interaction", 18th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA 2007-4309, 2007, pp.1-12. DOI: 10.2514/6.2007-4309 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2007-4309
- Bruhn, E. F., Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures, Tri-State Offset Company, 1973.
- Niu, M. C.-Y., Airframe Stress Analysis and Sizing, Conmilit Press Ltd., Hong Kong, 1997.
- Torenbeek, E., Synthesis of Subsonic Airplane Design, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1982.
- Corke, T. C., Design of Aircraft, Prentice Hall, 2003.