- Volume 42 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of pathogenic E. coli on diarrhea, growth performance, and blood profile of weaned pigs
- Song, Minho (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jang, Yoontack (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Younghwa (National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Adminstratoin) ;
- Park, Juncheol (National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Adminstratoin) ;
- Kim, Younghoon (Department of Animal Science, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2015.08.17
- Accepted : 2015.09.03
- Published : 2015.09.30
The experiment was conducted to evaluate the effects of pathogenic Escherichia coli on diarrhea, growth performance, and blood profile of weaned pigs. A total of 48 pigs were used and housed in individual pens of disease containment chambers for 16 d (4 d before and 12 d after the first challenge [d0]). The treatments were with or without the pathogenic E. coli challenge (F-18 E. coli strain; heat-labile, heat-stable, and Shiga-like toxins). Pigs were orally inoculated with a dose of
- Cho KJ. 1990. Incidence and protection of piglet diarrhea. Journal of the Korean Veterinary Medical Association 26: 391-394.
- Dykstra SA, Moxley RA, Janke BH, Nelson EA, Francis DH. 1993. Clinical signs and lesions in gnotobitic pigs inoculated with Shiga-like toxin I from Escherichia coli. Veterinary Pathology 30:410-417. https://doi.org/10.1177/030098589303000502
- Fairbrother JM, Gyles CL. 2006. Escerichia coli infections. In Diseases of Swine (9th) edited by Straw BE, Zimmerman JJ, D'Allaire S, Taylor DJ. pp. 639-674. Blackwell, Ames, IL.
- Francis D. 2002. Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli infection in pigs and its diagnosis. Journal of Swine Health and Production 10:171-175.
- Gannon VP, Gyles CL, Wilcock BP. 1989. Effects of Escherichia coli shiga-like toxins (verotoxins) in pigs. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 53:306-312.
- Liu Y, Song M, Che TM, Almeida JAS, Lee JJ, Bravo D, Maddox CW, Pettigrew JE. 2013. Dietary plant extracts alleviate diarrhea and alter immune responses of weaned pigs experimentally infected with a pathogenic Escherichia coli. Journal of Animal Science 91:5294-5306. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-6194
- Moeser AJ, Blikslager AT. 2007. Mechanisms of porcine diarrheal disease. Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association 231:56-67. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.231.1.56
- Nagy B, Fekete PZ. 2005. Enterotoxigenic Eschericia coli in veterinary medicine. International Journal of Medical Microbiology 295:443-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmm.2005.07.003
- Song M, Liu Y, Soares JA, Che TM, Osuna O, Maddox CW, Pettigrew JE. 2012. Dietary clays alleviate diarrhea of weaned pigs. Journal of Animal Science 90:345-360. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3662
- Wilson RA, Francis DH. 1986. Fimbriae and enterotoxins associated with E.coli serogroups isolated from clinical cases of porcine colibacillosis. American Journal of Veterinary Research 47:213-217.