- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
On the improvement of inelastic displacement demands for near-fault ground motions considering various faulting mechanisms
- Esfahanian, A. (Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University) ;
- Aghakouchak, A.A. (Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University)
- Received : 2014.12.10
- Accepted : 2015.06.16
- Published : 2015.09.25
This paper investigates inelastic seismic demands of the normal component of near-fault pulse-like ground motions, which differ considerably from those of far-fault ground motions and also parallel component of near-fault ones. The results are utilized to improve the nonlinear static procedure (NSP) called Displacement Coefficient Method (DCM). 96 near-fault and 20 far-fault ground motions and the responses of various single degree of freedom (SDOF) systems constitute the dataset. Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis (NDA) is utilized as the benchmark for comparison with nonlinear static analysis results. Considerable influences of different faulting mechanisms are observed on inelastic seismic demands. The demands are functions of the strength ratio and also the pulse period to structural period ratio. Simple mathematical expressions are developed to consider the effects of near-fault motion and fault type on nonlinear responses. Modifications are presented for the DCM by introducing a near-fault modification factor,
- Akkar, S.D., Yazgan, U. and Gulkan, P. (2004), "Deformation limits for simple non-degrading systems subjected to near-fault ground motions", Proceedings of the Thirteen World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- ASCE 41-06 Standard (2007), "Seismic Rehabilitation of existing buildings", American society of civil engineers, US.
- ATC-40 (1996), Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Concrete Buildings, ATC-40 Report, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- Baez, J.I. and Miranda, E. (2000), "Amplification factors to estimate inelastic displacement demands for the design of structures in the near field", Proceedings of the 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering, Upper Hutt, New Zealand.
- Baker, J.W. (2008), "Identification of near-fault velocity pulses and prediction of resulting response spectra", Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics IV, Sacramento, California.
- Baker, J.W. (2007), "Quantitative classification of near-fault ground motions using wavelet analysis", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 97(5), 1486-1501. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120060255
- Behmanesh, I. and Khoshnudian, F. (2008), "Effect of soil-structure-interaction on inelastic displacement ratios of existing structures", 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, October 12-17, Beijing, China.
- Chioccarelli, E. and Iervolino, I. (2010), "Near-source seismic demand and pulse-like records: A discussion for L'Aquila earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39(9), 1039-1062. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.987
- Clough, R.W. and Penzien, J. (2003), Dynamics of structures, Third edition book, Computers & Structures, Inc. Berkeley, USA.
- Decanini, L.D., Liberatore, L. and Mollaioli, F. (2003), "Characterization of displacement demand for elastic and inelastic SDOF systems", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 23(6), 455-471. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(03)00062-9
- Dimakopoulou, V., Fragiadakis, M. and Spyrakosl, C. (2013), "Influence of modeling parameters on the response of degrading systems to near-field ground motions", Eng. Struct., 53, 10-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.03.008
- Enderami, S.A., Beheshti-Aval, S.B. and Saadeghvaziri, M.A. (2014), "New energy based approach to predict seismic demands of steel moment resisting frames subjected to near-fault ground motions", Eng. Struct., 72, 182-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.04.029
- FEMA 273 Report (1997), Building Seismic Safety Council. NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, FEMA-273. Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC., US.
- FEMA 356 Report (2000), Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, prepared by the American Society of Civil Engineers for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC., US.
- FEMA 440 Report (2005), Federal Emergency Management Agency, Improvement of nonlinear static seismic analysis procedures, Washington, DC., US.
- Hatzigeorgiou, G.D. and Beskos, D.E. (2008), "Inelastic displacement ratios for SDOF structures subjected to repeated earthquakes", J. Eng. Struct., 31(11), 2744-2755.
- Iervolino, I., Chioccarelli, E. and Baltzopoulos, G. (2012), "Inelastic displacement ratio of near-source pulse-like ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(15), 2351-2357. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2167
- Iwan, W.D., Huang, C.T. and Guyader, A.C. (2000), "Important features of the response of inelastic structures to near-field ground motion", Proceedings of the 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering, Upper Hutt, New Zealand.
- Khoshnoudian, F., Ahmadi, E. and Abedi Nik, F. (2013), "Inelastic displacement ratios for soil-structure systems", J. Eng. Struct., 57, 453-464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.034
- Ma, S. and Archulet, J.A. (2006), "Radiated seismic energy based on dynamic rupture models of faulting", J. Geophys. Res., 111, B05315.
- MacRae, G. and Tagawa, H. (2001), "Methods to estimate displacements of PG&E structures", draft report on research conducted under PGE/PEER Task No. 505, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, DC.
- Miranda, E. (2000), "Inelastic displacement ratios for displacement-based earthquake resistant design", Proceedings of the 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Miranda, E. (2000), "Inelastic displacement ratios for structures on firm sites", J. Struct. Eng., 126(10), 1150-1159. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:10(1150)
- Movahed, H., Meshkat-Dini, A. and Tehranizadeh, M. (2014), "Seismic evaluation of steel special moment resisting frames affected by pulse type ground motions", Asian J. Civ. Eng., BHRC, 15(4), 575-585.
- Ozkul, S., Ayoub, A. and Altunkaynak, A. (2014), "Fuzzy-logic based inelastic displacement ratios of degrading RC structures", J. Eng. Struct., 75, 590-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.06.030
- Ruiz-Garcia, J. (2011), "Inelastic displacement ratios for seismic assessment of structures subjected to forward-directivity near-fault ground motions", J. Earthq. Eng., 15(3), 449-468. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2010.498560
- Ruiz-Garcia, J. and Miranda, E. (2006), "Inelastic displacement ratios for evaluation of structures built on soft soil sites", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(6), 679-694. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.552
- Ruiz-Garcia, J. and Miranda, E. (2012), "Evaluation of seismic displacement demands from ground motions recorded in recent earthquakes", 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Shahi, S.K. and Baker, J.W. (2011), "Regression models for predicting the probability of near-fault earthquake ground motion pulses, and their period", 11th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Shaw, R. and Goda, K. (2004), "From disaster to sustainable civil society: The Kobe experience", Disasters, 28(1), 16-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0361-3666.2004.00241.x
- Wen, W.P., Zhai, C.H., Li, S., Chang, Z. and Xie, L.L. (2014), "Constant damage inelastic displacement ratios for the near-fault pulse-like ground motions", Eng. Struct., 59, 599-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.11.011
- Zhai, C.H., Wena, W.P., Zhu, T.T., Li, S. and Xie, L.L. (2013), "Inelastic displacement ratios for design of structures with constant damage performance", Eng. Struct., 52, 53-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.02.008
- Ruiz-Garcia, J. and Gonzalez, E.J. (2014), "Implementation of displacement coefficient method for seismic assessment of buildings built on soft soil sites", J. Eng. Struct., 59, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.10.017
- A Single-Run Dynamic-Based Approach for Pushover Analysis of Structures Subjected to Near-Fault Pulse-Like Ground Motions 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2017.1326420