- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Distant Reiki On Pain, Anxiety and Fatigue in Oncology Patients in Turkey: A Pilot Study
- Demir, Melike (School of Health, Gumushane University) ;
- Can, Gulbeyaz (Istanbul University, Nursing Faculty) ;
- Kelam, Ayhan (Institute of Oncology, Istanbul University) ;
- Aydiner, Aydin (Institute of Oncology, Istanbul University)
- Published : 2015.07.13
Background: Fatigue, stress and pain are common symptoms among cancer patients, affecting the quality of life. The purpose of the present study was to determine the effect of distant Reiki on pain, anxiety and fatigue in oncology patients. Materials and Methods: Participants in the control group received usual medical and nursing care during their stay. The intervention group received usual care plus five distant Reiki sessions, one each night for 30 min. A face to face interview was performed and patient personal and illness related characteristics were evaluated using the Patient Characteristics form. Pain, stress and fatigue were evaluated according to a numeric rating scale. Results: The experimental group was predominantly composed of women (71.4%), married individuals (40%), and primary school graduates (40%). The control group was predominantly male (72.7%), married (60%), and primary school graduates (60%). The control group demonstrated greater levels of pain (p=0.002), stress (p=0.001) and fatigue (p=0.001). The Reiki group pain score (p <0.0001), stress score (p <0.001) and fatigue score were also significantly lower. Conclusions: The results of this study indicate that Reiki may d ecreasepain, anxiety and fatigue in oncology patients.
- Baldwin AL, Wagers C, Schwartz GE (2008). Reiki improves heart rate homeostasis in laboratory rats. J Altern Complement Med, 14, 417-22. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.0753
- Barnes PM, Bloom B, Nahin RL (2008). Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults and children: United States, 2007. Natl Health Stat Rep, 12, 1-24.
- Barnett L, Chambers M (1996). Reiki energy medicine: bringing healing touch into home, hospital and hospice. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press.
- Birocco N, Guillame C, Storto S, et al (2012). The Effects of Reiki Therapy on Pain and Anxiety in Patients Attending a Day Oncology and Infusion Services Unit. Am J Hospice Palliat Med, 29, 290-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909111420859
- Bossi LM, Ott MJ, DeCristofaro S (2008). Reiki as a clinical intervention in oncology nursing practice. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 12, 489-94. https://doi.org/10.1188/08.CJON.489-494
- Bowden D, Goddard L, Gruzelier J (2010). A randomised controlled single-blind trial of the effects of Reiki and positive imagery on well-being and salivary cortisol. Brain Research Bulletin, 81, 66-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainresbull.2009.10.002
- Breivik H, Cherny N, Collett F, et al (2009). Cancer-related pain: a pan European survey of prevalence, treatment, and patient attitudes. Ann Oncol, 20, 1420-1433. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdp001
- Bullock M (1997). Reiki: a complementary therapy for life. Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 14, 31-33. https://doi.org/10.1177/104990919701400112
- Burden B, Herron-Marx S, Clifford C (2005). The increasing use of Reiki as a complementary therapy in specialist palliative care. Int J Palliat Nurs, 11, 248-53. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2005.11.5.248
- Carlson LE, Angen M, Cullum J, et al (2004). High levels of untreated distress and fatigue in cancer patients. Br J Cancer, 90, 2297-304. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601887
- Coakley A and Barron A (2012). Energy Therapies in Oncology Nursing. Seminars Oncol Nur, 28, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2011.11.006
- Curt GA (2000). Impact of fatigue on quality of life in oncology patients. Semin Hematol, 37, 14-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0037-1963(00)90063-5
- Davidson JR, MacLean AW, Brundage MD, et al (2002). Sleep disturbance in cancer patients. Soc Sci Med, 54, 1309-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(01)00043-0
- Davis MP, and Walsh D (2004). Epidemiology of cancer pain and factors influencing poor pain control. Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 21, 137-142. https://doi.org/10.1177/104990910402100213
- Deng G, Frenkel M, Cohen L, et al (2009). Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for integrative oncology: complementary therapies and botanicals. J Soc Integrative Oncol, 7, 85-120.
- Dressin LJ, and Singg S (1998). Effects of Reiki on pain and selected affective and personality variables of chronically ill patients. Subtle Energies Energy Med, 9, 51-82.
- Lee MS, Pittler MH, Ernst E (2008). Effects of Reiki in clinical practice: A systematic review of randomized clinical trials. International J Clin Pract, 62, 947-954. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2008.01729.x
- Miles P (2003). Preliminary report on the use of Reiki HIV-related pain and anxiety. Altern Ther Health Med, 9, 36.
- Moore A (2005). Reiki energy medicine: enhancing the healing process. Integrative Medicine Quarterly News, 2, 1-5.
- Olson K, Hanson J, Michaud M (2003). Other complementary therapies, Reiki effects on pain and quality of life in advanced cancer patients. J Pain Symptom Manage, 26, 990-997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(03)00334-8
- Shore A (2004). Long-term effects of energetic healing on symptoms of psychological depression and self-perceived stress. Alt Ther, 10, 42-48.
- Sikorskii A, Wyatt G, Siddiqi A, Tamkus D (2011). Recruitment and early retention of women with advanced breast cancer in a complementary and alternative medicine trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med Article, 734517, 7.
- Tsang KL, Carlson LE, Olson K (2007). Pilot crossover trial of Reiki versus rest for treating cancer-related fatigue. Integr Cancer Ther, 6, 25-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735406298986
- Vitale AT (2007). An integrative review of Reiki touch therapy research. Holist Nurs Pract, 21, 167-79. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.HNP.0000280927.83506.f6
- Williams AM, Davies A, Griffiths G (2009). Facilitating comfort for hospitalized patients using non-pharmacological measures: preliminary development of clinical practice guidelines. Int J Nurs Pract, 15, 145-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2009.01739.x
- Witte D, Dundes L (2001). Harnessing life energy or wishful thinking? Reiki, placebo Reiki, meditation, and music. Altern Complement Ther, 7, 304-309. https://doi.org/10.1089/107628001753312158
- Zabora J, Brintzenhofeszoc JK, Curbow B, et al (2001). The prevalence of psychological distress by cancer site. Psychooncol, 10, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1611(200101/02)10:1<19::AID-PON501>3.0.CO;2-6
- Mental Health Wellness and Biofield Therapies: An Integrative Review vol.38, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/01612840.2017.1364808