- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Nursing Students' Practice Experience in Neonatal Intensive Care Units
간호대학생의 신생아집중치료실 실습경험
- Choi, Eun A (Dae Dong College of Nursing) ;
- Lee, Kyoung Eun (Kosin University Gospel Hospital) ;
- Lee, Young Eun (College of Nursing, Kosin University)
- Received : 2015.05.13
- Accepted : 2015.07.22
- Published : 2015.06.30
Purpose: This study was done to identify the meaning and substantial nature of NICU practice among nursing students by applying a research method based on hermeneutic phenomenology in an attempt to lay a foundation for enhancing theoretical and practical child nursing education. Methods: The participants were eight nursing student who had experience in clinical practicing in NICU. In-depth interviews were performed from April to December, 2014 until data were fully saturated. Collected data were analyzed using Colaizzi's method. Results: Seven theme clusters were extracted from fourteen themes. The seven theme clusters of the nursing students' clinical practice experience in NICU were: 1) Excitement about the clinical practice setting 2) Afraid of practice environment 3) Babies have priority over clinical practice 4) Comparing with adult nursing clinical practice 5) Feeling pity for babies and their parents 6) New awareness about the role of nurses 7) Demands of enhancing clinical practice. Conclusion: The results of the study provide useful information in understanding nursing students' practice experience in NICU and establishing effective strategies to support these nursing students.
- Park ES, Park YR, Kang KA. Evaluation of clinical practicum for child health nursing for baccalaureate student nurses in Korea. Korean Journal of Child Health Nursing. 2006;12(1):5-14.
- Lee WH, Kim SS, Han SH. Lee SY, Kim KY. Application and effectiveness of a preceptorship for the improved of clinical education. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 1995;25(3):581-596.
- Zhzng ZX, Xu Y. The nursing education system in the People's Republic of China: Education, stucture and reform. International Nursing Review. 2004;47:207-217. http://dx,doi.org/10.1046/j.1466-7657.2000.00027 https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1466-7657.2000.00027
- Rhodes M, Curran C. Use of the human patient simulator to teach clinical judgment skills in a baccalaureate nursing program. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 2005;23(5):263-264. http://dx,doi.org/10.1097/00024665-200509000-00010 https://doi.org/10.1097/00024665-200509000-00010
- Kim JS, Sun JJ, Kim HS. Clinical practice experience of nursing students. Journal of Qualitative Research. 2009;10(1):63-76.
- Ko SH, Kim KM. An initial clinical experience of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 1994;33(2):59-72.
- Park KS, Hwang YY, Choi EH. The study of the nursing students' lived experience of clinical practice at the intensive care unit, Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2003;15(3):373-382.
- Han SH, Yu HS. College women's self-leadership, stress of clinical practice and self disclosure in an area. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2012;18(1):131-140. http://dx,doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2012.18.1.131 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2012.18.1.131
- Jung JS. Relationship of self-directedness and practice satisfaction to clinical practice in nursing students: the mediating effect of clinical competence. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2012;18(1):53-61. http://dx,doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2012.18.1.053 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2012.18.1.053
- Kim YM, Chun NM, Lee EH, Cho IS, Ahn SH, Kim JI, et al. Student experience and satisfaction with clinical nursing practice in women's health nursing. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2011;17(3): 225-242. http://dx,doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.225 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.225
- Kim NH. Kim KW. Self-efficacy, self-concept of professional nursing and clinical practice satisfaction to clinical practice education in nursing students. The Korean Journal of Health Service Managemen. 2011;5(4):41-51. http://dx,doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2011.5.4.041 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2011.5.4.041
- Kim JH, Park MK. Factors influencing the process of problem solving in nursing students during clinical practice. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2012;18(1):34-42. http://dx,doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2012.18.1.034 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2012.18.1.034
- Yang NY, Moon SY. Relationship of self-leadership, stress and satisfaction in clinical practice of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2011;17(2):216-225. http://dx,doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.216 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.216
- Han JY, Park HS. Effects of teaching effectiveness and clinical learning environment on clinical practice competency in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2011;18(3):365-372.
- Kim IS, Jang YK, Park SH, Song SH. Critical thinking disposition, stress of clinical practice and clinical competence of nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2011;17(2):337-345. http://dx,doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2011.17.3.337 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2011.17.3.337
- Yang JJ. The influencing factors on clinical competence of nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2009;15(2):159-165. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.159
- Park JW, Ha NS. Nursing students' clinical experiences. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2003;12(1):27-35.
- Suh MS. The study on the experience of psychiatric nursing practice among nursing students using Q-methodological approach. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2001;10(4):686-698.
- Yang JH. The experience of fundamental nursing practice among nursing students. Journal of Qualitative Research. 2005;6(2):51-64.
- Wong DL, Hockenberry-Eaton M, Wilson D, Winkelstein M, Schwarts P, editors. Essential of pediartic nursing. New York, NY: Mosby; 2001.
- White-Traut RC, Nelson MN, Silvestri JM, Patel M, Berbaum M, Gu GG, et al. Developmental patterns of physiological response to a multisensory intervention in extremely premature and high-risk infants. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecology, & Neonatal Nursing. 2004;33(2):266-275. http://dx,doi.org/10.1177/0884217504263289 https://doi.org/10.1177/0884217504263289
- Kim SY. Shouting of doctor and nurse in NICU [Internet]. Seoul: Dailymedi; 2011 [cited 2011 October 20]. Available from: http://www.dailymedi.com/news/view.html?category=5&no=731717§ion=1.
- Kim YH, Kang SY, Kim MW, Jang KS, Choi JY. Usefulness of clinical perfomance examination for graduation certification of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2008;14(3):344-351.
- Lee HY, Lim HS, Kim MY. The clinical practice of newly graduated nurses who are resigned. Journal of Qualitative Research. 2011;12(1):36-48.
- Colaizzi PE. Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it. In: Valle RS, King M, Editors. Existential phenomenological alternative for psychology. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1978. p. 48-71.
- Amedeo G. Phenomenology and Psychological Research. Shin KL, Jang YJ, Park IS, Kim MY, Jung SE, translator. Seoul: Hyunmoon; 2004.
- Lincoln YS, Guba EG. Naturalistic Inquiry. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications; 1985. P. 393-408.
- Baek KS. Experiences of newborn nursery care practice among the male nursing students. Journal of Qualitative Research. 2006;7(1):25-37.
- Wang CL, Lee HL, Lu Ky. Nursing student depression and associated factors during students' first clinical practice. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare Research. 2010;6(1):65-73.
- Song JH, Kim MW. Study on clinical education for nursing hospitals in Korea. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2013;19(2):251-264. http://dx,doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2013.19.2.251 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne/2013.19.2.251