- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Acupressure Massage on Temperatures of Acupoints, Severity of Facial Paralysis, Subjective Symptoms, and Depression in Bell's Palsy Patients
- Lee, Jeongsoon (Department of Nursing, Christian College of Nursing) ;
- Chung, Younghae (Department of Nursing, Dongshin University)
- Received : 2015.01.23
- Accepted : 2015.04.28
- Published : 2015.05.31
Purpose: Bell's palsy is a nerve paralysis disease that causes functional impairments and affects psychological and aesthetical parts. This study aimed to examine whether acupressure massage had positive effects on facial paralysis, subjective symptoms, and depression in Bell's palsy patients. Methods: This study was conducted by a nonequivalent control group pretest-posttest design. Participants were 60 patients with Bell's palsy. 30 patients were assigned to the experimental group and the remaining 30 patients were assigned to the control group. The period of the study was from October 1, 2008 to July 30, 2009. Acupressure massage was offered to the experimental group for 20 minutes per day for two weeks (a total of six times). A SPSS/Win 12.0 program was used for data analysis. Results: A difference in Digital Infrared Thermographic Imaging (DITI) between affected and unaffected sides was less in the experimental group having acupressure massage than in the control group and the score of the recovery of facial paralysis was also increased in the experimental group. The Facial Nerve Grade Systems by Brackmann score that is a more objective index showed a significant difference between two groups (F=26.81, p<.001). Subjective symptom and depression scores were more decreased in the acupressure massage group than in the control group. Conclusion: Based on the results, it is considered that acupressure massage can be applied to Bell's palsy patients as an alternative therapy. It can be used as an evidence-based East-West nursing intervention to improve patients' physical and mental functions.
- Yin CS, Kim MK, Kim JD, Hong JM, Seo DM, Woo HS, et al. Cross-sectional observation of the sequelae of peripheral facial palsy. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(3):24-33.
- Ahmed A. "When is facial paralysis Bell palsy? Current diagnosis and treatment". Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2005;72(5):398-401. https://doi.org/10.3949/ccjm.72.5.398
- Health Insurance Review & Assement Service. Disease Statistics. Retrieved October 08, 2013. http://www.hira.or.kr/main.do.
- Kim GJ, Kim KR, Kim KH, Kim HN, Kim H, Son AR, et al. Beauty meridian pathways, Seoul; Sumonsa. Co; 2007.
- Hong JM, Park DS, Go HG. The clinical study on angiotensin converting enzyme gene polymorphism in korean facial nerve palsy patients. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2004;21(2):103-113.
- Valls-Sol DJ. Facial palsy, postparalytic facial syndrome, and hemifacial spasm. Movement Disorders. 2002;17(2):49-52.
- Choi SI, Kim, HK, Kim HJ, Suh MK, Kim YH, Kim MR, et al. Meridian massage and depression effects on upper extremity function in hemiplegic patients. The Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2000;3(2):228-242.
- Lee HY, Kim BE. The effect of meridian points massage nursing intervention on the recovery of facial paralysis. The Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2001;31(6): 1044-1053.
- Tsay S. L., Chen, M. L. Acupressure and transcutaneous electrical acupoint stimulation in improving fatigue, sleep quality and depression in hemodialysis patients. The America Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2004;32(3):407-416. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X04002065
- Webster dictionary. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/depression; 2013.
- Jung HM, Kang JM. The effects of facial meridian massage in Bell's palsy patients for the laxative subjective symptom and anxiety. Bulletin of the Research Institute for Basic Sciences. 2005;15:251-267.
- Kim EM, Jung HM. The effect of facial meridian massage on facial paralysis status, pain and stress of Bell's palsy patients. The Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2006;11(2):135-147.
- Ko GS. Acupressure acupuncture and chiropractic therapy. Seoul: Chungwungac; 1993.
- Park CG. JangSangHac. Seoul: Seongbosa Co; 2000.
- Kim DS, Park YH, Yu M, Park YH, Park SY, Choi JH, et al. Clinical study on the improving period of the bell's palsy patients with DITI. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2006;19(2):202-211.
- America Medicine Association. Council on scientific affairs. Thermography in neurological and musculoskelectal conditions. Thermology. 1987;600-607.
- The Korean Society of Thermology. Introduction to diagnostic thermology. Seoul: The Korean Society of Diagnostic Thermology: 2001.
- Lee YW, Jeong JY, Kim HJ, Shin YS. Changes of infrared thermographic findings in bilateral Bell's palsy treated with stellate ganglion block. The Korean Journal of Pain. 2001;1(1):58-61.
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences(2nd ed). New York, NY: Rountledge Academic; 1988.
- Hong CZ, Simons DG. Documentation of myofacial trigger points. arch archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 1998;79(7):863-872. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(98)90371-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(98)90371-9
- Koo GH. Facial Nerve Palsy. The Korean Journal of Pain. 1996;9(1):4-25.
- House JW, Brackmann DE. Facial nerve grading system. The Journal of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 1985;93(2):146-147.
- Kim MB, Kim JH, Shin SH, Yoon HJ, Ko WS. A study of facial nerve grading system :New grade after House-Brackmann scale. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2007;20(3):147-160.
- Kim MS. Newace language dictionary. Seoul: Kumsung Publishing Co; 1993.
- Lee CU, Park IB, Kim SU, Kim HG, Heo SU, Kim CH, et al. The effect of acupuncture and Dong's acupuncture about Bell'palsy. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2004;21(2):287-300.
- Zung WK. Richards CB, Short MJ. A self-rating depression scale in an outpatient clinic further validation of the SDS. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1965;13(6):508-515. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1965.01730060026004
- Lee WS, Kim ME, Kim KS. Study on the skin temperature of infrared thermographic imaging for the patients with TM disorders. The Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Medicine. 2002;27(3):371-380.
- Sin MS, Kim YS, Lee MH. Effects of doin gigong exercise on recovery from facial paralysis, pain and anxiety of Bell's palsy patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2012;18(1):52-62. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2012.18.1.52
- Kim MW, Kim MJ. Effects of laughter therapy on recovery status from facial paralysis, pain and stress in Bell's palsy patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2014;20(2):211-222. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2014.20.2.211