- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Clinical Investigation in Effect of Riboflavin Sodium Phosphate on Prevention and Treatment for Patients with Radiotherapy Related Esophagitis
- Shen, Kang (Oncology Department, Siyang County People's Hospital) ;
- Huang, Xin-En (Department of Chemotherapy, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute)
- Published : 2015.03.09
Objective: To investigate the clinical effect of riboflavin sodium phosphate on prevention of radiotherapy related esophagitis (RRE). Methods: This retrospective study involved 55 patients with middle and advanced esophageal cancer who were divided into an experimental group of 28 and a control group of 27 patients. Those in the experimental group were treated with riboflavin sodium phosphate combined with conventional symptomatic treatment during radiotherapy; while patients in control group received the latter alone. The incidence and degree of RRE were compared after radiotherapy. Results: The incidences of RRE in experimental and control group were 53.5% and 81.4%, respectively (p<0.05); the incidence of stages III and IV RRE in the experimental group was 17.8%, while in the control group it was 44.4% (p<0.05). Conclusion: Riboflavin sodium phosphate could significantly prevent RRE and reduce the incidence of stage III and IV disease. These results were worthy of further confirmation by randomized controlled trials.
Supported by : Nanjing science committee
- Bostrm A, Lindman H, Swartling C, et al (2001). potent corticosteroid (mometasone furoate cream) significantly reduces acute radiation dermatitis:results from a doubleblind randomized study. Radiotheroncol, 59, 257-65.
- Choy H, Vokes E (2005). Improving outcomes in the treatment of locally advanced NSCLC with gemcitabine. Lung Cancer, 50, S10-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(05)81552-1
- Gatzioufas Z, Seitz B (2010). Riboflavin-UVA treatment for nonhealing ulcers of the cornea. J Refract Surg, 26, 312.
- Huang XE, Cao J, Qian ZY, et al (2014). Leucogen tablets at 60 mg three times per day are safe and effective to control febrile neutropenia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8495-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8495
- Liu J, Huang XE (2014). Efficacy of bifidobacterium tetragenous viable bacteria tablets for cancer patients with functional constipation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10241-4.
- Makdoumi K, Mortensen J, Crafoord S (2013). Response to: Evaluation of combined riboflavin and ultraviolet A as an alternative treatment for keratitis. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol, 251, 997. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00417-012-1951-6
- Qian YD, Xu X, Wang L, et al (2014). Clinical safety of chemotherapy for elderly cancer patients complicated with hypertension. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9875-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.22.9875
- Russo G, Haddad R , Posner M , et al (2008). Radiation treatment Breaks and ulcerative mucosit is in head and neck cancer. The Oncologist, 13, 886-98. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2008-0024
- Serrano A, Frago S, Velazquez-Campoy A, et al (2012). Role of key residues at the flavin mononucleotide (FMN):adenylyltransferase catalytic site of the bifunctional riboflavin kinase/flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) Synthetase from Corynebacterium ammoniagenes. Int J Mol Sci, 13, 14492. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms131114492
- Tian GY, Miu M, Huang XE et al (2014). Systematic analysis of pemetrexed-based chemoradiotherapy for patients with locally advanced or metastatic esophageal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8475-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8475
- Vasilaki A T, McMillan D C, Kinsella J, et al (2010). Relation between riboflavin flavin mononucleotide and flavin adenine dinucleotide concentrations inplasma and red cells in patients with critical illness. Clin Chim Acta, 411, 1750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2010.07.024
- Wang L, Huang XE (2014). Clinical study on safety and efficacy of jisaixin (recombinant human granulocyte colony stimulating factor injection manufactured in China) for chinese undergoing chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 299-301.
- Wojcieszynska D, Hupert-Kocurek K, Guzik U (2012). Flavindependent enzymes in cancer prevention. Int J Mol Sci, 13, 16751 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms131216751
- Xiao Y, Liu J, Huang XE, et al (2014). Clinical study on fluvoxamine combined with oxycodone prolonged-release tablets in treating patients with moderate to severe cancer pain. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10445-9.
- Xuan Z, An Y, Yang D, et al (2013). Exploration of the protection of riboflavin laurate on oral mucositis induced by chemotherapy or radiotherapy at the cellular level: what is the leading contributor. Int J Mol Sci, 14, 4722. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms14034722
- Safety and Efficacy of a Mouth-Rinse with Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor in Patients with Chemotherapy-Induced Oral Mucositis vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.413
- A Clinical Study on Juheli (Recombinant Human Interleukin - 11) in the Second Prevention of Chemotherapy Induced Thrombocytopenia vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.485