- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
CFD-based Design and Analysis of the Ventilation of an Electric Generator Model, Validated with Experiments
- Jamshidi, Hamed (Chalmers University of Technology) ;
- Nilsson, Hakan (Chalmers University of Technology) ;
- Chernoray, Valery (Chalmers University of Technology)
- Received : 2015.06.01
- Accepted : 2015.06.25
- Published : 2015.06.30
The efficiency of the ventilation system is a key point for durable and reliable electric generators. The design of such system requires a detailed understanding of the air flow in the generator. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) has the potential to resolve the lack of information in this field. The present work analyses the air flow inside a generator model. The model is designed using a CFD-based approach, and manufactured by taking into consideration the experimental and numerical requirements and limitations. The emphasis is on the possibility to accurately predict and experimentally measure the flow distribution inside the stator channels. A major part of the work is focused on the design of an intake and a fan that gives an evenly distributed flow with a high flow rate. The intake also serves as an accurate flowmeter. Experimental results are presented, of the total volume flow rate, the total pressure and velocity distributions. Steady-state CFD simulations are performed using the FOAM-extend CFD toolbox. The simulations are based on the multiple rotating reference frames method. The results from the frozen rotor and mixing plane rotor-stator coupling approaches are compared. It is shown that the fan design provides a sufficient flow rate for the stator channels, which is not the case without the fan or with a previous fan design. The detailed experimental and numerical results show an excellent agreement, proving that the results reliable.
- Traxler-Samek G., Zickermann, R. and Schwery, A., 2010, Cooling Airflow, Losses, and Temperatures in Large Air-Cooled Synchronous Machines, Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.57, no.1, pp.172-180. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2031191
- Boglietti A., Cavagnino A., Staton D., Shanel M., Mueller M. and Mejuto C., 2009, Evolution and modern approaches for thermal analysis of electrical machines, Industrial Electronics IEEE Transactions, vol.56, pp. 871- 882. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2011622
- Pickering S. J., Lampard D. and Shanel M., 2001, Modelling ventilation and cooling of the rotors of salient pole machines, International Electric Machines and Drives Conference IEMDC 2001 IEEE pp. 806-808.
- Shanel M., Pickering S.J. and Lampard, 2003, Conjugate heat transfer analysis of a salient pole rotor in an air cooled synchronous generator, International Conference of Machines and Drives IEEE vol.2 pp. 737-741.
- Ujiie, R. and Arlitt, R. and Etoh, H, 2006, Application of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) on Ventilation-Cooling Optimization of Electrical Machines, Review Energy Technologies - generation, transmission and distribution of electric and thermal energy (ICEMENERG), pp. 17-22.
- Traxler-Samek G., Zickermann R. and Schwery A., 2008, Advanced calculation of temperature rises in large aircooled hydro-generators, International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM) vol. 1 pp. 1-6.
- Toussaint K., Torriano F., Morissette J. F., Hudon C. and Reggio M., 2011, CFD analysis of ventilation flow for a scale model hydrogenerator, ASME Power Conference collocated with JSME ICOPE 2011 pp. 627-637.
- Pasha A. A., Hussain M. and Gunubushanam N., 2010, Experimental and CFD analysis of hydrogenerator, stator Proc. of the 37th National & 4th Int. Conf. on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, India.
- Schrittwieser M., Marn A., Farnleitner E. and Kastner G., 2012, Numerical analysis of heat transfer and flow of stator duct models, International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), pp. 385-390.
- Zhang Q. F., Yan J. L., Wang M. and Chen Z. X., 2012, CFD Application on Ventilation System of Hydrogenerator, Advanced Materials Research, vol. 383, pp. 3561-65.
- Moradnia P., Golubev M., Chernoray V. and Nilsson H. 2014 Flow of cooling air in an electric generator model- An experimental and numerical study, Journal of Applied Energy vol. 114, pp. 644-653. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.10.033
- Moradnia P., Chernoray V. and Nilsson H., 2014, Experimental assessment of a fully predictive CFD approach, for flow of cooling air in an electric generator, Journal of Applied Energy vol. 124, pp. 223-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.02.064
- Moradnia P., Chernoray V. and Nilsson H., 2011, Experimental and numerical investigation of the cooling air flow in an electric generator, HEFAT 2011 8th Int. Conf. on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics pp. 242-249.
- Klomberg S., Farnleitner E., Kastner G. and Biro, O., 2014, Comparison of CFD analyzing strategies for hydro generators, International Conference of Electrical Machines (ICEM), pp. 1990-1995.
- Klomberg S., Farnleitner E., Kastner G. and Biro O., 2014, Implementation of a new simulation strategy for a cooling study of large hydro generators, International Conference Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD), pp. 1-6.
- Hartono E., Golubev M., Moradnia P., Chernoray V. and Nilsson H., 2012, PIV Measurement of Air Flow in a Hydro Power Generator Model, 16th Int Symp on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Dhongadi M. M., Rao K. S., Srinivas G. R., and Prakas C. P. S., 2013, Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation and Optimization of a Gas Turbine Inlet Duct, International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology Vol. 2, No. 9.
- ASME MFC-26 2011, Measurement of Gas Flow by Bellmouth Inlet Flowmeters, ISBN: 9780791833551
- Davidson L, Nielsen P, and Svenningsson A., 2003, Modifications of the v2-f model for computing the flow in a 3D wall jet, Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer vol. 4, pp. 577-584
- Stockman N. O. and Kramer, J. L., 1963, Method for design of pump impellers using a high-speed digital computer. National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- Stanitz J. D. and Prian, V. D., 1951, A Rapid Approximate Method for Determining Velocity Distribution of Impeller Blades of Centrifugal Compressors, National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.
- Milos Teodor, 2012, Impeller Design Using CAD Techniques and Conformal Mapping Method, Centrifugal Pumps, Dr. Dimitris Papantonis (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0051-5.