- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Elders' General Quality of Life and Oral Health-related Quality of Life
일부 노인의 일반적 삶의 질과 구강건강관련 삶의 질에 관한 연구
- Bae, Ji-Young (Department of Dental Hygiene, Pohang College)
- 배지영 (포항대학교 치위생과)
- Received : 2015.09.26
- Accepted : 2015.10.06
- Published : 2015.12.31
Purpose. The purpose of this study was conducted to identify the elders' general quality of life and oral health-related quality of life. Method. Questionnaire survey was conducted on 241 elders' living in Pohang area from August to September 2014. The results were obtained from t-test, one-way ANOVA analysis, pearson correlation coefficients and multiple regression analysis. Results. Oral health status had significant correlations with gender, age, education, income, drink and hypertension. Oral health-related quality of life showed the highest relationships with age; oral health status and general quality of life showed the highest relationships with monthly income; and, age and education period also showed influence on general quality of life. Conclusions. Therefore, it is required to strengthen oral health improvement program and oral health education for improvement of elders' quality of life.
- Statistics Korea. 2013 Life table. 2014.
- Ko SJ, Jung YH. Calculation of healthy life expectancy in Korea, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. 2014;7:1-8.
- Statistics Korea. Senior citizen statistics. 2015.
- Shirai K, Shinomiya M, Sation Y, Umezono T, et al. Incidence of childhood obesity over the last 10years in Japan. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 1990;10:65-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8227(90)90083-6
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2013 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. 2013.
- Swedberg Y, Noren JG. Analysis of caries status development in relation to socioeconomic variables using a case-based system. Swed Dent 2001;25:81-88.
- Slavkin HC, Baum BJ. Relationship of dental and pathology to systemic illness. JAMA, 2000;284(4):1215-1217. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.284.10.1215
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Oral health in America. A report of the surgeon general, 2000.
- World Health Organization. Oral health surveys, Basic methods 4th ed. 1997.
- Slade GD, Spencer AJ. Development and evaluation of the Oral Health Impact Profile. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 1999;11(3):3-11.
- World Health Organization. Development of the World Health Organization WHOQOLBREF quality of life assessment. Psychoi Med, 1998;28:551-558. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291798006667
- Broemen l, Kasal S, Freeman D, Barrett J, et al. Social support and depressive symptoms in the elderly. Am J Epidemiol, 1992;135:356-368. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a116297
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Strategy Development for Oral Health Promotion. 2000.
- Haddad I, Haddad K, Jebrin S, et al. Reasons for extraction of permanent teeth in Jordan. Int Dent J, 1999;49(6):343-346. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.1999.tb00535.x
- Lee KD, Lee HK. DMFT Index, Periodontal Index and Oral Hygiene Status in Diabetic Patients. Yeungnam Univ, J of Med, 2005;22(1):62-71. https://doi.org/10.12701/yujm.2005.22.1.62
- Cheon HW. Analysis of factors for relationship between oral disease and chronic disease. Doctor's thesis, Wonkwang University. 2010.
- Jung HJ, Jang AH, Kim HJ. A Study on the general health status related hypertension and oral health status of rural elder. Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial Coperation Society, 2011;12(11): 4852-4860. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.4852
- Jang MS, Kim HY, Sim YS. Association between the self-reported periodontal health status and oral health-related quality of life among elderly Koreans. J. Periodontal, 2006;36(3):596.
- Kim HN, Ku IY, Moon SJ. Correlation analysis of factors and the geriatric oral health-related quality of life in Gumi. J. Korean Soc Dent Hyg, 2012;12(5):1039-1048. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.1039
- Ryu KJ. The relevance between level of oral health and oral health-related life quality among the elderly. Doctor's thesis, Chungnam National University, 2008.
- Bae JY. The effect of Oral Health on the Quality of Life of the Elderly. Doctor's thesis, Yeungnam University. 2009.
- Lee EG. Comparison of the quality of life of adults and elderly. J. Korean Soc Dent Hyg, 2012;12(5):1029-1038. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.1029
- Kim YK. A study on the impact of the work satisfaction on the elderly's quality of life. Master's thesis, Konkuk University. 2008.
- Nam YS, Jang JY. Potential Factors Associated with the Quality of Life in South Korean Senior People: Based on Oral Health. J. Dent Hyg Sci, 2013;13(3):281-289.
- Atchison KA, Gift HC. Perceived oral health in a diverse sample. Adv Dent Res, 1997;11:272-280. https://doi.org/10.1177/08959374970110021001
- Kim AR. A study on elderly's quality of life. Doctor's thesis, Wonkwang University. 2001.