- Volume 34 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Image Matching Method for Automatic Matching of High Resolution SAR Imagery
SAR 영상 자동정합을 위한 영상정합기법의 비교연구
- Baek, Sang Ho (Korea Military Academy) ;
- Hong, Seung Hwan (Yonsei University) ;
- Yoo, Su Hong (Chung-ang Aerosurvey Co., Ltd.) ;
- Sohn, Hong Gyoo (Yonsei University)
- Received : 2014.05.30
- Accepted : 2014.07.05
- Published : 2014.10.01
SAR satellite can acquire clear imagery regardless of weather and the images are widely used for land management, natural hazard monitoring and many other applications. Automatic image matching technique is necessary for management of a huge amount of SAR data. Nevertheless, it is difficult to assure the accuracy of image matching due to the difference of image-capturing attitude and time. In this paper, we compared performances of MI method, FMT method and SIFT method by applying arbitrary displacement and rotation to TerraSAR-X images and changing resolution of the images. As a result, when the features having specific intensity were distributed well in SAR imagery, MI method could assure 0~2 pixels accuracy even if the images were captured in different geometry. But the accuracy of FMT method was significantly poor for the images having different spatial resolutions and the error was represented by tens or hundreds pixels. Moreover, the ratio of corresponding matching points for SIFT method was only 0~17% and it was difficult for SIFT method to apply to SAR images captured in different geometry.
- Abdelfattah, R. and Nicolas, J. M. (2005). "InSAR image coregistration using the Fourier-Mellin transform." International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 13, pp. 2865-2876. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160512331338050
- Chen, H. M., Arora, M. K. and Varshney, P. K. (2003). "Mutual information-based image registration for remote sensing data." International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 24, No. 18, pp. 3701-3706. https://doi.org/10.1080/0143116031000117047
- Harris, C. and Stephens, M. (1988). "A combined corner and edge detector." Proceedings, 4th Alvey Vision Conference, pp. 147-151.
- Ho, H. T. and Goecke, R. (2008). "Optical flow estimation using fourier mellin transform." IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1-8.
- Jing-zheng, L. and Xu-chu, Y. (2008). "Research on SAR image matching technology based on SIFT." The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Beijing, Vol. 37, pp. 403-407.
- Lowe, D. G. (2004). "Distinctive image features from scale-invariant Keypoints." International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 91-110. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:VISI.0000029664.99615.94
- Maes, F., Vandermeulen, D. and Suetens, P. (2003). "Medical image registration using mutual information." Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 91, No. 10, pp. 1699-1722. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2003.817864
- Pluim, J. P. W., Maintz, J. B. A. and Viergever, M. A. (2000). "Image registration by maximization of combined mutual information and gradient information." Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention - MICCAI 2000, Vol. 1935/2000, pp. 452-461.
- Reddy, B. S. and Chatterji, B. N. (1996). "An FFT-Based technique for translation, rotation, and scale-invariant image registration." IEEE Transactions on image processing, Vol. 5, No. 8, pp. 1266-1271. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.506761
- Roche, A., Malandain, G. and Ayache, N. (1999). "Unifying maximum likelihood approaches in medical image registration." International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology, Vol. 11, pp. 71-80.
- Safronov, K., Tchouchenkov, I. and Worn, H. (2006). "Combined medical image registration method using both mutual and gradient information." International Workshop on Computer Science and Information Technologies CSIT'2006, Vol. 1.
- Srinivasa R. B. and Chatterji, B. N. (1996). "An FFT-Based technique for translation, rotation, and scale-invariant image registration." IEEE Transactions on image processing, Vol. 5, No. 8, pp. 1266-1271. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.506761
- Suri, S. and Reinartz, P. (2010). "Mutual-information-based registration of TerraSAR-X and Ikonos imagery in urban areas." Geoscience and Remote Sensing, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 939-949. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2009.2034842
- Suri, S., Schwind, P., Uhl, J. and Reinartz, P. (2010). "Modifications in the SIFT operator for effective SAR image matching." International journal of Image and Data Fusion, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 243-256. https://doi.org/10.1080/19479832.2010.495322
- Wessel, B., Huber, M. and Roth, A. (2007). "Registration of near real-time SAR images by image-to-image matching." Proc. of Photogrammetric Image Analysis, pp. 179-184.
- Wolberg, G. and Zokai, S. (2000). "Robust image registration using log-polar transform." 2000 International Conference on Image Processing, Vol. 1, pp. 493-496.