- Volume 7 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design Loads on Railway Substructure: Sensitivity Analysis of the Influence of the Fastening Stiffness
- Giannakos, Konstantinos (F. ASCE, M. TRB-AR050 & AR060 Comm., AREMA, fib., Design and Operation of Railway Systems, Dpt. Civil Engineering, University of Thessaly)
- Published : 2014.06.30
The superstructure of the railway track undertakes the forces that develop during train passage and distributes them towards its seating. The track panel plays a key role in terms of load distribution, while at the same time it maintains the geometrical distance between the rails. The substructure and ballast undergo residual deformations under high stresses that contribute to the deterioration of the so-called geometry of the track. The track stiffness is the primary contributing factor to the amount of the stresses that develop on the substructure and is directly influenced by the fastening resilience. Four methods from the international literature are used in this paper to calculate the loads and stresses on the track substructure and the results are compared and discussed. A parametric investigation of the stresses that develop on the substructure of different types of railway tracks (i.e. balastless vs ballasted) is performed and the results are presented as a function of the total static track stiffness.
- Alias J., (1984). "La voie ferree:", IIeme edition, Eyrolles, Paris.
- AREMA, (2005). "Manual for Railway Engineering".
- Eisenmann J., (2004). "Die Schiene als Tragbalken", Eisenbahningenieur 5/2004.
- Eisenmann J., (1988). "Schotteroberbau - Moglichkeiten und Perspektiven fur dieModerne Bahn".
- Eisenmann J., Kaess G., (1980). "Das Verhalten des Schotters unter Belastung", ETR (29) 3, Darmstadt.
- Eisenmann J., Duwe B., Lempe Ul., Leykauf G., Steinbeisser L., (1979). "Entwinklung, Bemessung und Erforschung des schotterlosen Oberbaues "Rheda", AET (34).
- Eisenmann J., Leykauf G., Mattner L., (1994). "Vorslage zur Erhohung der Oberbauelastizitat", ETR 43, H 7/8.
- Esveld C., (1989). "Modern Railway Track", MRT-Productions, The Netherlands.
- Fastenrath Fritz, (1981). "Railroad Track - Theory and Practice", Frederic Ungar Pub.Co., New York, part 2, "The Rail as support and Roadway, theoretical principles and practical examples", by J. Eisenmann.
- fib (International Federation of Concrete), (2006). "Precast concrete railway track systems".
- Giannakos K., (2014). "Actions on a Railway Track, due to an Isolated Defect", International Journal of Control and Automation (IJCA), Vol.7, No.3, p.195-212. https://doi.org/10.14257/ijca.2014.7.3.19
- Giannakos K., (2011). "Heavy Haul Railway Track Maintenance and Use of Resilient versus Stiff Fastenings", approved to be published in TRR/2011 ("Railway Maintenance" Committee), Washington D.C., U.S.A., January 23-27, TRB 90th Annual Meeting proceedings.
- Giannakos K., (2010a). "The Use of Strain Attenuating Tie Pads and its Influence on the Rail Seat Load in Heavy-Haul Railroads", ASCE - ASME - AREMA, Joint Rail Conference JRC-2010, Urbana - Champaign IL, USA, April 27-29.
- Giannakos K., (2010b). "Interaction between Superstructure and Substructure in Railways", in the Fifth International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics and Symposium in honor of professor I. M. Idriss, San Diego, CA - USA, May 24-29, proceedings.
- Giannakos K., (2010c). "Loads on track, Ballast Fouling and Life-cycle under Dynamic Loading in Railways", Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, approved to be published in the Journal, electronically published DOI: 10.1061/ (ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000182, Vol. 136, Issue 12, December, pp. 1075-1084. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000182
- Giannakos K., Tsoukantas S., (2010d). "Requirements for Stiffness Variation between Slab and Ballasted Railway Track and Resulting Design Loads", ICASTOR (Indian Centre For Advanced Scientific and Technological Research) Journal for Engineering, January 2010c, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 21 -35.
- Giannakos K., Tsoukantas S., (2009a). "Transition Zone between Slab Track and Ballasted - Variation of Elasticity and Influence on the Acting Forces", Greek Department of Concrete (Member of FIB - RILEM), Conference, Limassol Cyprus, 24-27 October, Proceedings.
- Giannakos K., (2009b) "Selected Topics on Railways", University of Thessaly Greece, Department of Civil Engineering, Volos.
- Giannakos A., Loizos A., 2009c, "Actions on Railway Track Panel and Ballast - Behavior of the Hellenic limestone ballast", 8th International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways and Airfields, 29 June-2 July, Champaign- Urbana, Illinois, USA, Proceedings.
- Giannakos K., Loizos A., (2009d). "Evaluation of actions on concrete sleepers as design loads-Influence of fastenings", International Journal of Pavement Engineering (IJPE), November 2009, DOI: 10.1080/10298430903402161, Vol. 11, Issue 3 June 2010, pp. 197-213. https://doi.org/10.1080/10298430903402161
- Giannakos K., Obermeyer Planen + Beraten Gmbh, (2008). "Calculation of Stiffness coefficients, in the Transition Zone between Slab Track and Ballasted Track - Slab Track Rheda 2000 type Design of the New Railway Track of Normal Gauge in the Kiato - km 2+000 position (Rododaphne)", for ERGA-OSE, Athens.
- Giannakos K., (2004). "Actions on Railway Track", Papazissis publications, Athens, English edition, www.papazisi.gr.
- Hay W., (1982). "Railroad Engineering", John Wiley & Sons.
- Leykauf G., Mattner L., (1990). "Elastisches Verformungsverhalten des Eisenbahnoberbaus - Eigenschaften und Anforderungen", Eisenbahningenieur 41 (1990) 3.
- ORE/UIC, Question D117, Rp2, (1973). "Study of the change in the track level as a function of the traffic and of the track components (First results of laboratory and site tests)", April 1.
- ORE/UIC, Question D117, Rp2, (1974). "Rheological properties of the track", April 1.
- Prud' homme A., Erieau, J., (1976). "Les nouvelles traverses en beton de la SNCF", RGCF-2.
- R.G.C.F. (Revue Generale des Chemins de Fer), Comite de redaction, (1973). "Sollicitations de la Voie, du Ballast et de la Plate-forme", Mai.
- Tsoukantas S., Giannakos K., Topintzis T., Zois H., (2006). "System Rheda 2000 from the point of view of a Structural Engineer - the most modern evolution of superstructure technology in Railway projects", Greek Department of Concrete, Alexandroupolis, 24-27 October, Proceedings.
- Tsoukantas S., 1999, "Investigation of Problems concerning the Slab Track application in Greece in tunnels, plain line and bridges", (Research Program of OSE-ERGOSE)", Athens.
- U.I.C. (International Union of Railways), fiche UIC (Code) 719R, 1994, "Earthworks and track-bed layers for railway lines", 1-1-1994.
- Comment on: Toughness of Railroad Concrete Crossties with Holes and Web Openings. Infrastructures 2017, 2, 3 vol.2, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/infrastructures2010004
- Modeling the influence of short wavelength defects in a railway track on the dynamic behavior of the Non-Suspended Masses vol.68-69, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2015.07.020