- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Systemic Analysis of S-1 Regimens for Treatment of Patients with Colon Cancer
- Zhang, En (Department of Oncological Surgery, Shaanxi Provincial People's Hospital) ;
- Cao, Wei (Department of Oncological Surgery, Shaanxi Provincial People's Hospital) ;
- Cheng, Chong (Department of Oncological Surgery, Shaanxi Provincial People's Hospital) ;
- Huo, Bin-Liang (Department of Oncological Surgery, Shaanxi Provincial People's Hospital) ;
- Wang, Yong-Heng (Department of Oncological Surgery, Shaanxi Provincial People's Hospital)
- Published : 2014.03.01
Background: Fluorouracil-based regimens have been widely accepted and recommended in the guidelines for treating patients with early or advanced staged colon cancer, although results are controversial. Here we performed a systemic analysis to evaluate the impact of S-1 based regimens on response and survival of patients with colon cancer. Methods: Clinical studies evaluating the impact of S-1 based regimens on response and survival of patients with colon cancer were identified using a predefined search strategy. Summary response rates (RRs) to treatment were calculated. Results: Six clinical studies which including 227 patients with advanced colorectal cancer were considered eligible for inclusion. Two studies were conducted using combination of S-1 and Oxaliplatin, and four studies featured S-1 and irinotecan. Systemic analysis showed that, in all patients, pooled RRs was 43.17%. Major adverse effects were hematological toxicities, gastrointestinal disturbance, neurosensory toxicity. No treatment related death occurred. Conclusion: This systemic analysis suggests that S-1 based regimens, both with oxaliplatin or irinotean are associated with acceptable response and toxicity in patients with colon cancer.
- Andre T, Boni C, Mounedji-Boudiaf L, et al (2004). Multicenter International Study of Oxaliplatin/5-Fluorouracil/Leucovorin in the Adjuvant Treatment of Colon Cancer (MOSAIC) Investigators. Oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment for colon cancer. N Engl J Med, 350, 2343-51. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa032709
- Borner MM, Schoffski P, de Wit R, et al (2002). Patient preference and pharmacokinetics of oral modulated UFT versus intravenous fluorouracil and leucovorin. A randomised crossover trial in advanced colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer, 38, 349-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(01)00371-9
- Chen YS, Xu SX, Ding YB, et al (2013). Colorectal cancer screening in high-risk populations: a survey of cognition among medical professionals in Jiangsu, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6487-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6487
- de Gramont A, Figer A, Seymour M, et al (2000). Leucovorin and fluorouracil with or without oxaliplatin as first-line treatment in advanced colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 18, 2938-47.
- DeMario MD, Ratain MJ (1998) Oral chemotherapy: rationale and future directions. J Clin Oncol, 16, 2557-67.
- Douillard JY, Cunningham D, Roth AD, et al (2000) Irinotecan combined with fluorouracil compared with fluorouracil alone as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: a multicentre randomised trial. Lancet, 355, 1041-7.
- Fathallah RM, Dajani R (2013). Comparison of population based cancer incidence rates among Circassians, Chechans and Arabs in Jordan (1996-2005). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6035-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6035
- Haller DG, Tabernero J, Maroun J, et al (2011). Capecitabine plus oxaliplatin compared with fluorouracil and folinic acid as adjuvant therapy for stage III colon cancer. J Clin Oncol. 29, 1465-71. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.33.6297
- Hoff PM, Ansari R, Batist G, et al (2001) Comparison of oral capecitabine versus intravenous fluorouracil plus leucovorin as first-line treatment in 605 patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: results of a randomized phase III study. J Clin Oncol, 19, 2282-92.
- Kim SY, Hong YS, Kim BC, et al (2009). A phase II study of S-1 plus irinotecan and oxaliplatin in heavily-treated patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Invest New Drugs, 27, 269-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10637-008-9177-5
- Kimura K, Suga S, Shimaji T, et al (1980) Clinical basis of chemotherapy for gastric cancer with uracil and 1-(20-tetrahydrofuryl)-5-fluorouracil. Gastroenterol Jpn, 15, 324-9.
- Kuebler JP, Wieand HS, O'Connell MJ, et al (2007). Oxaliplatin combined with weekly bolus fluorouracil and leucovorin as surgical adjuvant chemotherapy for stage II and III colon cancer: results from NSABP C-07. J Clin Oncol, 25, 2198-204. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.08.2974
- Lembersky BC, Wieand HS, Petrelli NJ, et al (2006). Oral uracil and tegafur plus leucovorin compared with intravenous fluorouracil and leucovorin in stage II and III carcinoma of the colon: results from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocol C-06. J Clin Oncol, 24, 2059-64. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.04.7498
- Meta-analysis Group In Cancer (1998) Efficacy of intravenous continuous infusion of fluorouracil compared with bolus administration in advanced colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 16, 301-8.
- Mizushima T, Ide Y, Murata K, et al (2013). A phase II study of combined chemotherapy with 5-week cycles of S-1 and CPT-11 plus bevacizumab in patients with metastatic colon cancer. Oncology, 85, 317-22. https://doi.org/10.1159/000356018
- Pazdur R, Douillard JY, Skillings JR, et al (1999) Multicenter phase III study of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) or UFTTM in combination with leucovorin (LV) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Proc Annu Meet Am Soc Clin Oncol, 18, A1009.
- Peters GJ (1995) Antimetabolites. In: Oxford Textbook of Oncology, Vol 1, Peckham M, Pinedo HM, Veronesi U (eds), pp 530-534. Oxford, New York, Tokyo: Oxford University Press.
- Sakuramoto S, Sasako M, Yamaguchi T, et al (2007). ACTSGC Group. Adjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer with S-1, an oral fluoropyrimidine. N Engl J Med, 357, 1810-20.
- Saltz LB, Cox JV, Blanke C, et al (2000). Irinotecan plus fluorouracil and leucovorin for metastatic colorectal cancer. Irinotecan Study Group. N Engl J Med, 343, 905-14. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200009283431302
- Sharma S, Saltz LB (2000). Oral chemotherapeutic agents for colorectal cancer. Oncologist, 5, 99-107.
- Shimada Y, Hamaguchi T, Moriya Y, et al (2012). Randomized phase III study of adjuvant chemotherapy with oral uracil and tegafur plus leucovorin versus intravenous fluorouracil and levofolinate in patients with stage III colon cancer: Final results of Japan Clinical Oncology Group study (JCOG0205). J Clin Oncol, 30, abstr 3524.
- Shirasaka T, Shimamoto Y, Fukushima M (1993). Inhibition by oxonic acid of gastrointestinal toxicity of 5-fluorouracil without loss of its antitumor activity in rats. Cancer Res, 53, 4004-9.
- Shirasaka T, Shimamato Y, Ohshimo H, et al (1996). Development of a novel form of an oral 5-fluorouracil derivative (S-1) directed to the potentiation of the tumor selective cytotoxicity of 5-fluorouracil by two biochemical modulators. Anticancer Drugs, 7, 548-57. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001813-199607000-00010
- Suh M, Choi KS, Lee YY, et al (2013). Cancer screening in Korea, 2012: results from the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6459-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6459
- Takechi T, Nakano K, Uchida J, et al (1997). Antitumor activity and low intestinal toxicity of S-1, a new formulation of oral tegafur, in experimental tumor models in rats. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 39, 205-11
- Tguchi T, Inuyama Y, Kanamaru R, et al (1997) Phase I study of S-1. S-1 Study Group. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 24, 2253-64.
- Tatsumi K, Fukushima M, Shirasaka T, et al (1987) Inhibitory effects of pyrimidine, barbituric acid and pyridine derivatives on 5-fluorouracil degradation in rat liver extracts. Jpn J Cancer Res, 78, 748-55
- Tong GX, Chai J, Cheng J, et al (2014). Diagnostic value of rectal bleeding in predicting colorectal cancer: a systematic review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1015-21.
- Tastan S, Andsoy II, Iyigun E (2013). Evaluation of the knowledge, behavior and health beliefs of individuals over 50 regarding colorectal cancer screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5157-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5157
- Twelves C, Wong A, Nowacki MP, et al (2005). Capecitabine as adjuvant treatment for stage III colon cancer. N Engl J Med, 352, 2696-704. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa043116
- Van Cutsem E, Twelves C, Cassidy J, et al (2001) Oral capecitabine compared with intravenous fluorouracil plus leucovorin in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: results of a large phase III study. J Clin Oncol, 19, 4097-106.
- Van den Brande J1, Schoffski P, Schellens JH, et al (2003). EORTC Early Clinical Studies Group early phase II trial of S-1 in patients with advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer, 88, 648-53. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600781
- van Groeningen CJ, Peters GJ, Schornagel JH, et al (2000). Phase I clinical and pharmacokinetic study of oral S-1 in patients with advanced solid tumors. J Clin Oncol, 18, 2772-9.
- Watanabe T, Itabashi M, Shimada Y, et al (2012). Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum (JSCCR) guidelines 2010 for the treatment of colorectal cancer. Int J Clin Oncol, 17, 1-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-011-0315-2
- Yokoyama T, Tokuhara H, Egawa T, et al (2009). The efficacy of S-1 monotherapy as a 2nd/3rd-line therapy for unresectable recurrent colon cancer: Kanagawa conference of clinical oncology (KCCO). Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 36, 1667-70.
- Zang DY, Lee BH, Park HC, et al (2009). Phase II study with oxaliplatin and S-1 for patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Ann Oncol, 20, 892-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn721
- Zhu QC, Jin ZM (2011). Efficacy and side effects of combination therapy of oxaliplatin and S-1 for colorectal cancer. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 33, 388-90.
- Meta-analysis of Six Randomized Control Trials of Chemotherapy Plus Anti-HER Monoclonal Antibody for Advanced Gastric and Gastroesophageal Cancer vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5343
- Clinical Observations on Associations Between the UGT1A1 Genotype and Severe Toxicity of Irinotecan vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3335