- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Clinicopathologic and Survival Characteristics of Childhood and Adolescent Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma in Yazd, Iran
- Binesh, Fariba (Department of Pathology, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Akhavan, Ali (Department of Radiotherapy, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Behniafard, Nasim (Research and Development Center, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Atefi, Aref (Biotechnology Laboratory, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Background: Data regarding childhood and adolescent non Hodgkin lymphomas in Iran are limited. The aim of this study was to assess the epidemiological and histomorphological features and survival of affected patients in our center. Materials and Methods: The clinicopathologic features and outcome of 44 children and adolescents with non Hodgkin lymphoma diagnosed during 2004-2012, were investigated retrospectively. The influence of potential prognostic parameters in overall survival was investigated by log-rank test and Cox regression analysis. Results: The mean age at presentation was
- Cairo MS, Sposto R, Gerrard M, et al (2003). Burkitt's and Burkitt-like lymphoma in children and adolescents: A review of the Children's Cancer Group experience. Br J Haematol, 120, 660-70. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2003.04134.x
- Cairo MS, Sposto R, Gerrard M, et al (2012). Advanced stage, increased lactate dehydrogenase, and primary site, but not adolescent age (15 years), are associated with an increased risk of treatment failure in children and adolescents with mature b-cell non-hodgkin's lymphoma: results of the fab lmb 96 study. J Clin Oncol, 30, 387-93. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.33.3369
- Economopoulos T, Papageorgiou S, Dimopoulos MA, et al (2005). Non-Hodgkin's lymphomas in Greece according to the WHO classification of lymphoid neoplasms. A retrospective analysis of 810 cases. Acta Haematol, 113, 97-103 https://doi.org/10.1159/000083446
- Frew JA, Lewis J, Lucraft HH (2013). The management of children with malignant lymphomas, Clin Oncol, 25, 8-11.
- Fukano R, Suminoe A, Matsuzaki A, et al (2012). Treatment outcome of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in childhood: KYCCSG NHL-89, 96, Rinsho Ketsueki, 53, 1898-1905
- Gerrard M, Waxman I M, Sposto R, et al (2013). Outcome and pathologic classification of children and adolescents with mediastinal large B-cell lymphoma treated with FAB/ LMB96 mature B-NHL therapy, Blood, 121, 278-85 https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2012-04-422709
- Gutierrez M I, Bhatia K, Barriga F, et al (1992). Molecular epidemiology of Burkitt's lymphoma from South America: differences in breakpoint location and Epstein-Barr virus association from tumors in other world regions. Blood, 79, 3261-6
- Krol A D, le Cessie S, Snijder S, et al (2003). Primary extranodal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL): the impact of alternative definitions tested in the Comprehensive Cancer Centre West population-based NHL registry, Ann Oncol, 14, 131-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdg004
- Lee S H, Yoo K H, Sung K W, et al (2013). Should children with non-Hodgkin lymphoma be treated with different protocols according to histopathologic subtype? Pediatr Blood Cancer, 60, 1842-7 https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24695
- Lervat C, Auperin A, Patte C, et al (2013). Head and neck presentations of B-NHL and B-AL in children/adolescents: Experience of the LMB89 study. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 61, 473-8.
- Miligi L, Benvenuti A, Mattioli S, et al (2013). Risk of childhood leukemia and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after parental occupational exposure to solvents and other agents: the SETIL Study. Occup Environ MED, 70, 648-55 https://doi.org/10.1136/oemed-2012-100951
- Naresh KN, Advani S, Adde M, et al (2004). Report of an international network of cancer treatment and research workshop on non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in developing countries. Blood Cells Mol Dis, 33, 330-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcmd.2004.08.001
- Pedrosa MF, Pedrosa F, Lins M M, et al (2007). Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in childhood: clinical and epidemiological characteristics and survival analysis at a single center in Northeast Brazil, J Pediatr 83, 547-54. https://doi.org/10.2223/JPED.1726
- Percy CL, Smith MA, Linet M, et al (1999) Lymphomas and reticuloendothelial neoplasms. In: Ries LA, Smith MA, Gurney JG, et al, Eds.: Cancer incidence and survival among children and adolescents: United States SEER Program 1975-1995. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute, SEER Program. NIH Pub, 99-4649, 35-50.
- Sandlund JT, Downing J R, Crist W M (1996). Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in childhood. N Engl J Med, 334, 1238-48. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199605093341906
- Shad A, Magrath I (1997). Non-Hodgkin's lym-phoma. Pediatr Clin North Am, 44, 863-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-3955(05)70534-4
Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. SEER*Stat Database: Mortality-All COD Aggregated with State, Total US (1969-2008)
- Ward E, Jemal A, Cokkinides V, et al (2004). Cancer disparities by race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status. CA Cancer J Clin, 54, 78-93. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.54.2.78
- Yoon J H, Kang H J, Kim H, et al (2012). Successful treatment of primary central nervous system lymphoma without irradiation in children: single center experience, J Korean Med Sci, 27, 137884.
- Zekri AR, Hassan ZK, Bahnassy AA et al (2013 ). Gene expression profiling of non-Hodgkin lymphomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4393-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4393
- Efficacy and Tolerance of Pegaspargase-Based Chemotherapy in Patients with Nasal-Type Extranodal NK/T-Cell Lymphoma: a Pilot Study vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6275
- Red Meat Intake and Risk of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: A Meta-Analysis vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10421
- Lack of Association between Using Aspirin and Development of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma: A Meta-analysis vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.787
- Subtype distribution of lymphomas in South of Iran, analysis of 1085 cases based on World Health Organization classification vol.95, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-016-2590-5