- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Responsibilities and Difficulties of Caregivers of Cancer Patients in Home Care
- Ugur, Ozlem (Nursing School) ;
- Elcigil, Ayfer (Nursing School) ;
- Arslan, Deniz (Nursing School) ;
- Sonmez, Ayfer (Nursing School)
- Published : 2014.01.30
Background: Having been known as a virulent disease in 1970s, cancer is now onsidered a chronic disease and 64% of cancer patients live for five years after diagnosis. Home care has gradually gained more importance and it is a great burden on the shoulders of caregivers. Caregivers have to undertake the responsibility of the cancer patient's home management, and organize care and arrange health care services according to the ever-changing condition of patients. Caregivers should be prepared for home care so they can provide accurate and complete care to patients. This descriptive study aims to investigate challenges that caregivers encounter in the home care of patients and the reasons for these challenges. Materials and Methods: The research group consisted of caregivers of outpatients in a daily treatment center in a university hospital. The research sampling consisted of 137 voluntary caregivers of patients who attended the Daily Treatment Center for control, chemotherapy or other supportive cares services between January-June, 2011. Data were collected with face-to-face interviews in the Daily Treatment Center. Ethics Committee approval was taken university hospital; caregivers and their patients were informed about the research and their approval was taken as well. Results: It was found that 54.01% of caregivers help patient's nutrition, 50.36% help medicine use, 26.28% help oral hygiene, 26.28% help to meet urinary needs and 51.82% help to change clothes, 69.34% of caregivers help to change bed sheets, 38.69% help the patient to communicate with their environment and 71.53% help to bring the patient to hospital or outside. Conclusions: This study, it was found that caregivers experience challenges due to following factors: patient nutrition, medicine use, oral and body hygiene, colostomy maintenance and stomach tube feeding, concern of dropping the patient, feeling incompetency in body temperature and fever control, fatigue, and lack of personal time.
- Adams E, Boulton M, Watson E (2009). The information needs of partners and family members of cancer patients: a systematic literature review. Patient Educ Couns, 77, 179-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2009.03.027
- Altun I (1998). Role in Patient Care Giving difficulty of close states. I. National Home Health Care Congress, 71-8.
- American Cancer Society Documents (2005). Statement on home care for patients with respiratory disorders. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 171, 1443-64. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.2504001
- Bektas H, Akdemir N (2006). Kanserli Bireylerde Fonksiyonel Durumlarinin Degerlendirilmesi. Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Sci, 26, 488-99.
- Byar K, Berger A, Bakken S, Cetak M (2006). Impact of adjuvant breast cancer chemotherapy on fatigue, other symptoms, and quality of life. Oncol Nurs Forum, 33, 18-26. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.E18-E26
- Chamber M, Ryan AA, Connor SL (2001). Exploring the emotional support needs and coping strategies of family carees. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 8, 99-106. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2850.2001.00360.x
- Chang YJ, Kwon YC, Jin WL, et al (2013). Burdens, needs and satisfaction of terminal cancer patients and their caregivers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 209-15. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.209
- Given B, Given C, Kozacki S (2001). Family support in advanced cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 51, 213-31. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.51.4.213
- Hazelwood DM, Koeck S, Wallner M, et al (2012). Patients with cancer and family caregivers: management of symptoms caused by cancer or cancer therapy at home. Heilberufe Science, 3, 149-58. https://doi.org/10.1007/s16024-012-0118-z
- Hendrix C, Ray C (2006). Informal caregiver training on home care and cancer symptom management prior to hospital discharge: a feasibility study. Oncol Nurs Forum, 33, 793-8. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.793-798
- Hendrix CC, Abertnethy A, Sloane R, Misurace J, Moore J (2009). A pilot study on the influence of an individualized and experiental training on cancer caregiver's self- efficiacy in home care and symptom management. Home Healthc Nurs, 27, 271-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NHH.0000356777.70503.62
- Honea N, Brintnall R, Given B, et al (2008). Putting evidence into practice: nursing assessments and interventions to reduce family caregiver strain and burden. J Clin Oncol Nurs, 12, 51-62.
- Jansma FF, Schure LM, de Jong BM (2005). Support requirements for caregivers of patients with palliative cancer. Patient Educ Couns, 58, 182-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2004.08.008
- Karabuga H (2009). Caregivers of Patients with Cancer Evaluation of the Quality of Life, Istanbul.
- Meeker MA, Finnell D, Othman AK (2011). Family caregivers and cancer pain management: a review. J Family Nur, 17, 29-60. https://doi.org/10.1177/1074840710396091
- Northouse L, Williams AL, Given B, Mc Corkle R (2012). Psychosocial car efor family caregivers of patients with cancer. JCO, 30, 1227-34. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.39.5798
- Roberts S, Black C, Todd K (2002). The living with cancer education programme II. Evaluation of an Australian education and support programme for cancer patients and their family and friends. Eur J Cancer Care, 11, 280-9. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2354.2002.00317.x
- Robison J, Fortinsky R, Kleppinger A, Shugrue N, Porter M (2009). A broader view of family caregiving: effects of caregiving and caregiver conditions on depressive symptoms, health, work, and social isolation. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 64, 788-98.
- Romito F, Goldzweig G, Cormio C, et al (2013). Informal caregiving for cancer patients. Cancer, 119, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27931
- Sapountzi-Krepa D, Rattopoulos V, Psychogiou M, et al (2008). Dimension of informal care in Greece: the family's contrubition to the care of patients hospitaized in an oncology hospital. J Clin Nurs, 17, 1287-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02033.x
- Serfelova R, Ziakova K, Jezova L (2012). Family caregiving at the end of life care. JNursing, Social Studies, Public Health and Rehabilitation, 2013, 62-71.
- Silver JH, Wellman NS (2002). Family caregiver training is needed to improve qutcomes for older adults using home care technologies. J Am Diet Assoc, 102, 831-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90185-9
- Stajduhar KI (2013). Burdens of Family caregiving at the end of life. Clin In Est Med, 36, 121-6.
- Stenberg U, Ruland CM, Miaskowski C (2010). Review of the literature on the effects of caring for a patient with cancer. Psycho-Oncology, 19, 1013-25
- Todd K, Roberts S, Black C (2002). The living with cancer education programme I. Development of an Australian education and support programme for cancer patients and their family and friends. Eur J Cancer Care, 11, 271-9.
- Ugur O (2006). To the Oncology Patient Care of the Caregiver Investigation of the load, Izmir.
- Wen KY, Gustafson HD (2004). Needs assessment for cancer patients and their families. Health Quality of Life Outcomes, 2, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-2-1
- Experiences of Family Caregivers of Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5063
- Clinical Efficacy of Bevacizumab Concomitant with Pemetrexed in Patients with Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3447
- Survival Effect of Supportive Care Services for Turkish Patients with Metastatic Gastric Cancer vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1213
- Transition journey from hospital to home in patients with cancer and their caregivers: a qualitative study vol.24, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-016-3269-0
- Development of an Attitude Scale for Home Care vol.29, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1891/1541-6522.214.171.1246
- Caring for patients with oral cancer in Taiwan: The challenges faced by family caregivers pp.09615423, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12891
- Symptom experiences in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer as reported during healthcare encounters vol.27, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12838
- The experiences of older caregivers of cancer patients following hospital discharge vol.27, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-018-4355-2