- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A REVIEW OF THE SUPRA-CONVERGENCES OF SHORTLEY-WELLER METHOD FOR POISSON EQUATION
- Yoon, Gangjoon (INSTITUTE OF MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES, EWHA WOMANS UNIVERSITY) ;
- Min, Chohong (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, EWHA WOMANS UNIVERSITY)
- Received : 2013.11.07
- Accepted : 2014.02.21
- Published : 2014.03.25
The Shortley-Weller method is a basic finite difference method for solving the Poisson equation with Dirichlet boundary condition. In this article, we review the analysis for supra-convergence of the Shortley-Weller method. Though consistency error is first order accurate at some locations, the convergence order is globally second order. We call this increase of the order of accuracy, supra-convergence. Our review is not a simple copy but serves a basic foundation to go toward yet undiscovered analysis for another supra-convergence: we present a partial result for supra-convergence for the gradient of solution.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- P. Ciarlet, Introduction to Numerical Linear Algebra and Optimization, Cambridge Texts in Applied Mathematics, 40 West 20th street, New York, NY, 1998.
- F. Gibou, R. Fedkiw, L.-T. Cheng and M. Kang, A second order accurate symmetric discretization of the Poisson equation on irregular domains, J. Comput. Phys., 176 (2002), 205-227. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2001.6977
- Y.-T. Ng, C. Min and F. Gibou, An efficient fluid-solid coupling algorithm for single-phase flows, J. Comput. Phys., 228 (2009), 8807-8829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2009.08.032
- Y.-T. Ng, H. Chen, C. Min and F. Gibou, Guidelines for Poisson solvers on irregular domains with Dirichlet boundary conditions using the ghost fluid method, J. Sci. Comput., 41 (2009), 300-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10915-009-9299-8
- J. W. Purvis and J. E. Burhalter, Prediction of critical Mach number for store configurations, AIAA J., 17 (1979), 1170-1177. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.7617
- J. C. Strikwerda, Finite Difference Schemes and Partial Differential Equations, SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 2004.