- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Shielding Design Optimization of the HANARO Cold Neutron Triple-Axis Spectrometer and Radiation Dose Measurement
냉중성자 삼축분광장치의 차폐능 최적화 설계 및 선량 측정
- Ryu, Ji Myung (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Hong, Kwang Pyo (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Park, J.M. Sungil (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Young Hyeon (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Kye Hong (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2013.12.10
- Accepted : 2014.01.10
- Published : 2014.03.31
A new cold neutron triple-axis spectrometer (Cold-TAS) was recently constructed at the 30 MWth research reactor, HANARO. The spectrometer, which is composed of neutron optical components and radiation shield, required a redesign of the segmented monochromator shield due to the lack of adequate support of its weight. To shed some weight, lowering the height of the segmented shield was suggested while adding more radiation shield to the top cover of the monochromator chamber. To investigate the radiological effect of such change, we performed MCNPX simulations of a few different configurations of the Cold-TAS monochromator shield and obtained neutron and photon intensities at 5 reference points just outside the shield. Reducing the 35% of the height of the segmented shield and locating lead 10 cm from the bottom of the top cover made of polyethylene was shown to perform just as well as the original configuration as radiation shield excepting gamma flux at two points. Using gamma map by MCNPX, it was checked that is distribution of gamma. Increased flux had direction to the top and it had longer distance from top of segmented shield. However, because of reducing the 35% of the height, height of dissipated gamma was lower than original geometry. Reducing the 35% of the height of the segmented shield and locating lead 10cm from the bottom of the top cover was selected. After changing geometry, radiation dose was measured by TLD for confirming tester's safety at any condition. Neutron(0.21
- Brockhouse BN. Slow Neutron Spectroscopy and the Grand Atlas of the Physical World. Lovel Lecture. 1994.
- So JY, Park SI. New cold neutron inelastic spectrometers at HANARO. Neutron News. 2013;24(2): 28-32.
- Lee CH. Growth of Neutron Science and Current Situation of the Cold Neutron Research Facility project at HANARO. The 12th International Conference on Accelerator & Beam Utilization. 2008.
- Denise B. Pelowitz(Editor). MCNPX User's Manual Version 2.7.0. LA-CP-11-00438. 2011.
- 이창희, 이정수, 성백석. 냉중성자 연구기반시설구축 및 이용기술 개발. KAERI/RR-3155. 한국원자력연구원. 2009.
- Willendrup P, Farhi E, Knudsen E, Filges U, Lefmann. User and programmers guide to the neutron ray-tracing package McStas version 2.0. Technical University of Denmark; 2012.
- So JY. Private Communication.
- Petrie LM, Fox PB, Lucius K. Standard Composition Library. Version 6, Vol. III. ORNL. 2005:M8.2.29-M8.2.31.
- 이지복, 이종태, 이무웅. 하나로 안전성 분석 보고서, KAERI/TR-710/96. 한국원자력연구원. 1996.
- Improved monochromator concrete shielding for the cold neutron triple-axis spectrometer at HANARO vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3233/JNR-180061