- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The influence of electronic-word-of-mouth on consumer decision-making for beauty products in a Kuwaiti Women's online community
- Al-Haidari, Nahed (Department of Computer Science, Brunel University) ;
- Coughlan, Jane (Department of Computer Science, Brunel University)
- Published : 2014.10.31
Online communities are an important source of electronic-word-of-mouth (eWOM), however few studies have examined these types of messages within the Middle Eastern context. This study focuses on Kuwaiti women as members of an online beauty forum; previous work has suggested a mediating effect of gender with women being more likely to trust and follow-up word-of-mouth with a purchase. A conceptual model, based on existing theoretical contributions, provides the basis of a coding framework for the message characteristics that influence members' eWOM adoption. A sub-set of the analysis is presented: 218 threads (1820 messages, coded into 6702 units) illustrating cases where eWOM was adopted and thereby demonstrating continuance intention with members returning to the forum. Content analysis revealed the prevalence of emotional aspects in messages, coded into a new category of 'community bonding'. Findings show that emotion expressed in messages is as influential and important as cognitive aspects of argument quality.
- Al-Ansari, H (2006), Internet use by the faculty members of Kuwait University, in: Electronic Library, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 791-803. https://doi.org/10.1108/02640470610714224
- Al-Kandari, A., and Hasanen, M (2012). The impact of the Internet on political attitudes in Kuwait and Egypt, in: Telematics and Informatics, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 245-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2011.10.005
- Almana, A. M., and Mirza, A. A (2013). The impact of electronic word of mouth on consumers' purchasing decisions, in: International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 82, No. 9, pp. 23-31.
- Antaki, C., Ardevol, E., Nunez, F., and Vayreda, A (2005). "For she who knows who she is:" Managing accountability in online forum messages, in: Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 11, No.1, pp. 114-132. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2006.tb00306.x
- Awad, N., and Ragowsky, A (2008), Establishing trust in electronic commerce through online word of mouth: An examination across genders, in: Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 24, .No.4, pp. 101-121. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222240404
- Bae, S., and Taesik, L (2011) Gender differences in consumers' perception of online consumer reviews, in: Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 11, No.2, pp. 201-214. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10660-010-9072-y
- Bhattacherjee, A., and Sanford, C (2006) Influence processes for information technology acceptance: An elaboration likelihood model, in: MIS Quarterly, Vol. 30, No.4, pp. 805-825. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148755
- Bickart, B., and Schindler, R. M (2001), Internet forums as influential sources of consumer information, in: Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.1014
- Chen, S-C., Yen, D. C., and Hwang, M. I (2012), Factors influencing the continuance intention to the usage of Web 2.0: An empirical study, in: Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 28, No.3, pp. 933-941. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.12.014
- Cheng, X., and Meihua, Z (2010), Study on effect of e-WOM: A literature review and sugges-tions for future research, in: Management and Service Science (MASS), International Conference on. IEEE
- Cheung, C. M., Lee, M. K., and Thadani, D. R (2009), The impact of positive electronic word-of-mouth on consumer online purchasing decisions .In Visioning and engineering the knowledge society. A Web Science Perspective (pp. 501-510). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Cheung, C. M. K. and Lee, M. K. O. (2007), "Information adoption in an online discussion forum", Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on e-Business and Telecommunications, Barcelona, Spain, 28-31 July
- Cheung, C. M. K., Lee, M. K. O. and Rabjohn, N (2008), The impact of electronic word-of-mouth: The adoption of online opinions in online customer communities, in: Internet Research, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 229-247. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662240810883290
- Cheung, C. M. K., Luo, C., Sia, C. L., and Chen, H (2009), Credibility of electronic word-of-mouth: Informational and normative determinants of on-line consumer recommendations, in: International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 9-38. https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415130402
- Cheung, C. M. K., and Dimple R. Thadani. (2010). The effectiveness of electronic word-of-mouth communication: a literature analysis, in 23rd Bled eConference, Bled, Slovenia
- Davis, F. D (1989), Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of infor-mation technology, in: MIS Quarterly, Vol.13, No 3, pp. 319-339. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- Fong, J., and Burton, S (2008), A cross-cultural comparison of electronic word-of-mouth and country-of-origin effects, in: Journal of Business Research, Vol. 61, No.3, pp. 233-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.06.015
- Gheorghe, I. R., and Liao, M. N. (2012), Investigating Romanian healthcare consumer behaviour in online communities: Qualitative research on negative eWOM, in: Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.62, No.2, pp. 268-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.043
- Ha, S. and Ahn, J. H (2011) Why are you sharing others' tweets?: The impact of argument quality and source credibility on information sharing behavior, ICIS 2011 Proceedings.[online].Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/icis2011/proceedings/humanbehavior/4 [accessed: 10 November 2011].
- Hashim, KamarulFaizal. (2012),Understanding the determinants of continuous knowledge shar-ing intention within business online communities. Ph.D. thesis, Auckland University of Technology.
- Hashim, KamarulFaizal; Tan, Felix B.; and Andrade, Antoni Diaz,(2012) .The Role of Trust and Commitment in Continuous Knowledge Contribution Intention within Business Online Communities , CONF-IRM 2012 Proceedings.Paper 9.
- Hennig-Thurau, T., Gwinner, K. P., Walsh, G., and Gremler D. D (2004), Electronic word-of mouth via consumer-opinion platforms: What motivates consumers to articulate themselves on the internet?, in: Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 38-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10073
- Hung, K. H. and Li, S.Y (2007), The influence of e-WOM on virtual consumer communities: Social capital, consumer learning, and behavioral outcomes, in: Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 485-95 https://doi.org/10.2501/S002184990707050X
- Jin, X. L., Cheung, C. M., Lee, M. K., & Chen, H. P (2009), How to keep members using the information in a computer-supported social network, in: Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 1172-1181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.04.008
- Kim, E. E. K., Mattila, A. S., and Baloglu, S (2011), Effects of gender and expertise on consumers' motivation to read online hotel reviews, in: Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp.399-406. https://doi.org/10.1177/1938965510394357
- Krippendorff, K (2012), Content Analysis: An Introduction to its Methodology. Sage.
- Limayem, M., Hirt, S. G., and Cheung, C. M (2007), How habit limits the predictive power of intention: The case of information systems continuance, in: MIS Quarterly, Vol.31, No. 4, pp. 705-737.
- Meng, M., and Agarwal, R (2007), Through a glass darkly: Information technology design, identity verification, and knowledge contribution in online communities, in: Information Systems Research, Vol. 18, No.1, pp. 42-67. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0113
- Neuendorf, K. A. (2002). The Content Analysis Guidebook. Sage.
- Okazaki, S (2009), Social influence model and electronic word of mouth: PC versus mobile internet, in: International Journal of Advertising, Vol. 28, No.3, pp. 439-472. https://doi.org/10.2501/S0265048709200692
- Oliver, R. L (1980), A cognitive model of the antecedents and consequences of satisfaction decisions, in: Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp.460-469. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150499
- Petty, R. E., and Cacioppo. J.T (1989), The Elaboration Likelihood Model of Persuasion. Springer New York
- Pollach, I (2006), Electronic word of mouth: A genre analysis of product reviews on consumer opinion web site. In R.H.J. Sprague (Ed.), Proceedings of the 39th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Institute of Electronic and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Sharif, A. A., and Al-Kandari, A. A (2010), The use of online bulletin boards by females in the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries, in: Telematics and Informatics, Vol. 27, No.1, pp. 42-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2009.03.001
- Wang; S-C., Lin,Y-H (2010), Examining the post-adoption behavioral intention of online knowledge groups through multi-dimensional customer value," Service Systems and Service Management (ICSSSM), 2010 7th International Conference on , pp.1,9, 28-30 June 2010
- Sweeney, J. C., Soutar, G. N., and Mazzarol, T (2008), Factors influencing word of mouth effectiveness: Receiver perspectives, in: European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 42, No.4, pp.344-364. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560810852977
- Sun, T., Youn, S., Wu, G., and Kuntaraporn, M (2006), Online word-of-mouth (or mouse): An exploration of its antecedents and consequences, in: Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 1, No 4, pp. 1104-1127.
- Sussman, S. W., and Siegal, W.S (2003), Informational influence in organizations: An integrated approach to knowledge adoption, in Information Systems Research, Vol. 14, No.1, pp. 47-65. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.220.127.116.1167
- Wang, G., Liu, X., and Fan, W (2011), A knowledge adoption model based framework for finding helpful user-generated contents in online communities, in: Thirty Second International Conference on Information Systems, Shanghai 2011 1
- Xue, F., and Phelps, J. E (2004), Internet-facilitated consumer-to-consumer communication: The moderating role of receiver characteristics, in: International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp.121-136. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJIMA.2004.004016
- Yan, S.C (2008), Do you believe in information from Internet?, [Online], Available t: libproject.hkbu.edu.hk [2 March 2014 ].