- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis on the primary of character strength that affects the life satisfaction of university students
대학생들의 삶의 만족여부에 영향을 주는 성격적 강점 요인
- Baek, Ok-Kyung (Sangmyung University Division of Education Psychology) ;
- Kim, Chung-Ja (Division of Pedagogy, Sang Myung University)
- Received : 2013.12.11
- Accepted : 2014.01.09
- Published : 2014.01.31
The purpose of this study among university students is to analyze difference of their character strengths by life satisfaction and to indicate the primary factors of character strength that affect life satisfaction. The study has shown that among 24 character strength factors, only kindness, self-control, hope, optimism and humor lead to life dissatisfaction, and the other factors lead to higher satisfaction. According to the primary factors of character strengths that affect life satisfaction, love, fairness, appreciation and spirituality affect life satisfaction similarly. In addition, love and humor is directly related to it while spirituality, appreciation and fairness are indirectly related. Moreover, the primary factors of life satisfaction in order are love, humor, spirituality, appreciation and fairness.
- K. K. Chon, K. H. Kim, & J. S. Yi "Development of the revised life stress scale for college students," The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 5, 316-335, 2000.
- W. J. Moon "The Influence of the University student's Character Strengths upon the Scholastic Achievements and Psychology Well-Being," Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, 2010.
- Medley, "Satisfaction with life among person sixty-five years and older," Journal of Gerontology, 31(4), 448-455, 1976. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronj/31.4.448 https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/31.4.448
- M. E. P. Seligman "Authentic happiness," New York: Free Press, 2002.
- M. E. P. Seligman & M. Csikszentmihalyi "Positive psychology, An Introduction," American Psychologist, 55, 5-14, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.5 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.5
- T. S. Kim "Verification of the effect on the Positive Group Psychological Counselling Program for higher grade students of elementary school on test anxiety and learning motivation," Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, 2011.
- B. G. Son "Influence of Character Strengths on Military Life Satisfaction," Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2009.
- E. M. Choi "The Influence of Character Strengths upon Adult Life Satisfaction and Subjective Happiness," Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, 2009.
- Y. J. Lim "The Influence of Character Strengths and a Strengths-Based Positive Psychotherapy on Happiness," Unpublished doctorate thesis, Seoul National University, 2010.
- G. H. Im "The Relationship between Character Strength and Happiness of University Students," Unpublished master's thesis, Wonkwang University, 2013.
- J. Y. Kim "The influence of character strengths on positive mental health," Unpublished doctorate thesis, Seoul National University, 2011.
- Y. J. Choi "Development of a Program to enhance Happiness for the Early childhood Teachers : Based on Seligman's Character Strengths," Unpublished doctorate thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, 2009.
- G. B. Cho "A study on the determinants of elderly life satisfaction," Unpublished doctorate thesis, Mokpo National University, 2005.
- M. E. P. Seligman, T. Rashid, & A. C. Park "Positive psychotherapy," American Psychologist, 11, 774-788, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.61.8.774 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.61.8.774
- A. Caspi & P. Silva "Temperamental qualities at age 3 predict personality traits in young adulthood: Longitudinal evidence from a birth cohort," Child Development, 66, 486-498, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1131592 https://doi.org/10.2307/1131592
- N. Park, C. Peterson, & M. E. P. Seligman "Strengths of character and well-being," Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 23, 603-619, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1521/jscp.23.5.628.50749 https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.23.5.603.50748
- S. J. Lopez & C. R. Synder "Positive Psychological Assessment: A handbook of models and measures," APA, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/10612-000 https://doi.org/10.1037/10612-000
- R. C. Roberts "Forgivingness," American Philosophical Quartely, 32, 89-306, 1995.
- C. Peterson & M. E. P. Seligman "Character strengths and virtues: A handbook and classification," New York: Oxford University Press/Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2004.
- B. Black "The road to recovery," Gallup Management Journal, 1(4), 10-12, 2001.
- M. E. P. Seligman, T. A. Steen, N. Park, & C. Peterson "Positive psychological progress," American Psychologist, 9, 99-102, 2005.
- M. E. P. Seligman "Positive psychology, positive prevention, and positive therapy," In C. P. Snyder, & S. J. Lopez (Eds.), Handbook of positive psychology. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- J. K. Harter "Gage Park High School research study," Princeton, NJ: The Gallup Organization, 1998.
- N. Park, C. Peterson, & M. E. P Seligman. "Strengths of character and well-being among youth," Unpublished manuscript, University of Ghode Island, 2005.
- N. Park, & C. Peterson "The Values in Action Inventory of Character Strengths for Youth," In K. A. Moore, & L. H. Lippman (Eds.), What do children need to flourish? Conceptualizing and measuring indicators of positive development(pp. 13-23). New York: Springer, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/0-387-23823-9_2 https://doi.org/10.1007/0-387-23823-9_2
- H. M. Kim "Effects of Maximizing Emotional Workers Character Strengths on their Subjective Well-Being and Job Satisfaction," Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, 2012.
- S. M. Kwon "Psychology of Human Relationships," Seoul: Hakjisa, 2004.
- M. E. P. Seligman "Positive Psychology," 2004, Seoul: Mulpure(I. J. Kim, Trans. 2006).
- S. G. Kim, D. B. Jung, & Y. S Park. "Regression and its Applications using SASS," Hannarae Academy, 2008.