- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experiment of Flexural Behavior of Composite Beam with Steel Fiber Reinforced Ultra High Performance Concrete Deck and Inverted-T Steel Girder
강섬유로 보강된 초고성능 콘크리트 바닥판과 역T형 강거더 합성보의 휨거동 실험
- Yoo, Sung-Won (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Woosuk University) ;
- Ahn, Young-Sun (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Woosuk University) ;
- Cha, Yeong-Dal (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Woosuk University) ;
- Joh, Chang-Bin (Structural Engineering Research Division, Korea Institute of Construction Technology)
- Received : 2014.08.18
- Accepted : 2014.09.03
- Published : 2014.12.31
Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC) has been developed to overcome the low strengths and brittleness of conventional concrete. Considering that UHPC, owing to its composition and the use of steel fibers, develops a compressive strength of 180 MPa as well as high stiffness, the top flange of the steel girder may be superfluous in the composite beam combining a slab made of UHPC and the steel girder. In such composite beam, the steel girder takes the form of an inverted-T shaped structure without top flange in which the studs needed for the composition of the steel girder with the UHPC slab are disposed in the web of the steel girder. This study investigates experimentally and analytically the flexural behavior of this new type of composite beam to propose details like stud spacing and slab thickness for further design recommendations. To that goal, eight composite beams with varying stud spacing and slab thickness were fabricated and tested. The test results indicated that stud spacing running from 100 mm to 2 to 3 times the slab thickness can be recommended. In view of the relative characteristic slip limit of Eurocode-4, the results showed that the composite beam developed ductile behavior. Moreover, except for the members with thin slab and large stud spacing, most of the specimens exhibited results different to those predicted by AASHTO LRFD and Eurocode-4 because of the high performance developed by UHPC.
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- John, H. and George, S., The Implementation of Full Depth UHPC Waffle Bridge Deck Panels, Federal Highway Administration Highways for LIFE Technology Partnerships Program, 2010.
- Naaman, A.E. and Chandrangsu, K., "Innovative Bridge Deck System Using High-Performance Fiber-Reinforced Cement Composites", ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 101, No. 1, 2004, pp. 57-64 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.14359/12998). https://doi.org/10.14359/12998
- Yang, I.H., Joh, C., and Kim, B.S., "Flexural Strength of Large-Scale Ultra High Performance Concrete Prestressed T-beams", Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 38, 2011, pp. 1185-1195 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/l11-078). https://doi.org/10.1139/l11-078
- Graybeal, B.A., "Flexural Behavior of an Ultrahigh-Performance Concrete I-Girder", Journal of Bridge Engineering ASCE, Vol. 13, No. 6, 2008, pp. 602-610 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084 -0702).
- Lee, K.C., Cho, C.B., Choi, E.S., and Kim, J.S., "Stud and Puzzle-Strip Shear Connector for Composite Beam of UHPC Deck and Inverted-T Steel Girder", Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2014, pp. 151-157 (in Korean) (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2014.26.2.151). https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2014.26.2.151
- European Commission, EUR 25321-Prefabricated Enduring Composit Beams Based on Innovative Shear Transmission (Preco-Beam), RFSR-CT-2006-00030, Final Report, 2009.
- Feldman, M., Hechler O., Hegger, J., and Rauscher S., "Fatigue Behavior of Shear Connectors in High Performance Concrete", International Conference on Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete VI, 2008, pp. 78-91.
- Korea Concrete Institute, Design Recommendations for Ultra-High Performance Concrete K-UHPC, KCI-M-12-003, Korea, 2012 (in Korean).
- Yang, I.H., Joh, C., Lee, J.W., and Kim, B.S., " Torsional Behavior of Ultra-High Performance Concrete Squared Beams", Engineering Structures, Vol. 56, 2013, pp. 372-383 (doi: http://dx.doi.org /10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.027). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.027
- Park, J.S., Kim, Y.J., Cho, J.R., and Jeon, S.J., "Characteristics of Strength Development of Ultra-High Performance Concrete according to Curing Condition", Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 25, No. 3, 2013, pp. 295-304 (in Korean) (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2013.25. 3.295). https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2013.25.3.295
- Ministry of Construction and Transportation. Korea Highway Bridge Design Code, 2010.
- CEN, 1994-4-4 Eurocode 4 : Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures, Part 1-1 : General Rules and Rules for Buildings, 2004.
- CEN. 1994-2 Eurocode 4 : Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures, Part 2 : General Rules and Rules for Bridges, 2005.
- AASHTO, AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 4th Edition. Washington, D.C. 2007.
- Analysis of Flexural Behavior of Composite Beam with Steel Fiber Reinforced Ultra High Performance Concrete Deck and Inverted-T Shaped Steel with Tension Softening Behavior vol.27, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2015.27.2.185
- A Study on the Experiment of Flexural Behavior of Composite Beam with Steel Fiber Reinforced UHPC and Inverted-T Steel Considering Compressive Strength Level vol.27, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2015.27.6.677
- Structural Design of Ultra High-Strength Concrete Non-Uniform Truss Using Strut-Tie Approach vol.18, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9712/KASS.2018.18.2.69