- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A novel hybrid testing approach for piping systems of industrial plants
- Bursi, Oreste S. (Department of Civil, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering, University of Trento) ;
- Abbiati, Giuseppe (Department of Civil, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering, University of Trento) ;
- Reza, Md S. (Department of Civil, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering, University of Trento)
- Received : 2014.05.30
- Accepted : 2014.08.30
- Published : 2014.12.25
The need for assessing dynamic response of typical industrial piping systems subjected to seismic loading motivated the authors to apply model reduction techniques to experimental dynamic substructuring. Initially, a better insight into the dynamic response of the emulated system was provided by means of the principal component analysis. The clear understanding of reduction basis requirements paved the way for the implementation of a number of model reduction techniques aimed at extending the applicability range of the hybrid testing technique beyond its traditional scope. Therefore, several hybrid simulations were performed on a typical full-scale industrial piping system endowed with a number of critical components, like elbows, Tee joints and bolted flange joints, ranging from operational to collapse limit states. Then, the favourable performance of the L-Stable Real-Time compatible time integrator and an effective delay compensation method were also checked throughout the testing campaign. Finally, several aspects of the piping performance were commented and conclusions drawn.
Supported by : European Union
- ANSYS (2007), Release 11.0 documentation for ANSYS, Online Manual, ANSYS, Inc.
- Braconi, A., Bursi, O.S., Fabbrocino, G., Salvatore, W. and Tremblay, R. (2008a), "Seismic performance of a 3D full-scale high-ductility steel-concrete composite moment-resisting structure - part I: design and testing procedure", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 37(14), 1609-1634. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.829
- Braconi, A., Bursi, O.S., Fabbrocino, G., Salvatore, W., Taucer, F. and Tremblay, R. (2008b), "Seismic performance of a 3D full-scale high-ductile steel-concrete composite moment-resisting frame - part II: test results and analytical validation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 37(14), 1635-1655. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.843
- Bursi, O.S., Buelga, A.G., Vulcan, L., Neild, S.A. and Wagg, D.J. (2008), "Novel coupling Rosenbrock-based algorithms for real-time dynamic substructure testing", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 37, 339-360. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.757
- Bursi O.S., Wagg D.J.E. (Eds.) (2008), Modern Testing Techniques for Structural Systems, CISM International Centre for Mechanical Sciences, 502, Springer, Vienna.
- Bursi, O.S., Jia, C., Vulcan, L., Neild, S.A. and Wagg D.J. (2011), "Rosenbrock-based algorithms and subcycling strategies for real-time nonlinear substructure testing", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 40(1), 2011, 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1017
- Chatterjee, A. (2000), "An introduction to the proper orthogonal decomposition", Curr. Sci., 78, 808-817.
- Chen, C. and Ricles, J.M. (2008), "Development of direct integration algorithms for structural dynamics using discrete control theory", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 134(8), 676-683, doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2008)134:8(676). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2008)134:8(676)
- Chrysostomou, C.Z., Poljansek, M., Kyriakides, N., Taucer, F. and Molina, F.J. (2013), "Pseudo-dynamic tests on a full-Scale four-storey reinforced concrete frame seismically retrofitted with reinforced Concrete infilling", Struct. Eng. Int., 23(2), 159-166. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686613X13439149156831
- Craig, R. and Bampton, M. (1968), "Coupling of substructures for dynamic analysis", AIAA J., 6(7), 1313-1319. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.4741
- DeGrassi, G., Nie, J. and Hofmayer, C. (2008), "Seismic analysis of large-scale piping systems for the JNES-NUPEC ultimate strength piping test program", U.S. NRC. NUREG/CR-6983, BNL-NUREG-81548-2008.
- De Melo, F.J.M.Q., Carneiro, J.A.O., Lopes, H.R., Rodrigues, J.F.D. and Gomes, J.F.S. (2001), "The dynamic analysis of piping systems using pseudo-dynamic Techniques", J. Strain Anal. Eng., 36 (5), 441-451. https://doi.org/10.1243/0309324011514601
- EN 13480-3(2002), Metallic industrial piping - Part 3: Design and calculation.
- Girard A. and Roy N. (2008), Structural Dynamics in Industry, ISTE/Hermes Science Publishing.
- Guyan, R.J. (1965), "Reduction of stiffness and mass matrices", Am. Inst. Aeronaut. Astronaut. J., 3(2), 380. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.2874
- Hibbit, H.D., Karlsson B.I. and Sorensen (2003), "Theory Manual, ABAQUS, version 6.3", Providence, RI. USA.
- Horiuchi, T., Inoue, M., Konno, T. and Namita, Y. (1999), "Real-time hybrid experimental system with actuator delay compensation and its application to a piping system with energy absorber", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 28(10), 1121-1141. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199910)28:10<1121::AID-EQE858>3.0.CO;2-O
- Jung, R., Shing, P.B., Stauffer, E. and Thoen, B. (2007), "Performance of a real-time pseudo dynamic test system considering nonlinear structural response", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 36, 1785-1809. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.722
- Klerk, D., Rixen, D.J. and Voormeeren, S.N. (2008), "General framework for dynamic substructuring: history, review and classification of techniques", AIAA J., 46(5), 1169-1181. doi:10.2514/1.33274. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.33274
- Krausmann, E., Cruz, A.M. and Affeltranger, B. (2010), "The impact of the 12 May 2008 Wenchuan earthquake on industrial facilities", J. Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 23(2), 242-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2009.10.004
- Mahin, S.A. and Shing, P.B. (1985), "Pseudo dynamic method for seismic testing", J. Struct. Eng. -ASCE, 111(7), 1482-1503. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:7(1482)
- Ministere de l'ecologie du developpement durable des transports et du logement (2011), "Arrete du 24 janvier 2011 fixant les regles parasismiques applicables a certaines installations classes, DEVP1102251A, Journal Official de la RepubliqueFrancaise. Texte 14 sur 239.
- MTS (2008), Models FlexTest 40/60/100/200 Controller Hardware, MTS Systems Corporation.
- NormeTechniche (2008), Norme Techniche per le costruzioni, DM Infrastrutture.
- O'Callahan, J.C. (1989a), "A new procedure for and improved reduced system IRS", In IMAC VII, Las Vegas.
- O'Callahan, J.C., Avitabile, P. and Riemer, R. (1989b), "System equivalent reduction expansion process (SEREP)", Proceedings of the 6th International Modal Analysis Conference, Las Vegas, January.
- Otani, A., Nakamura, I., Takada, H. and Shiratori, M. (2011), "Consideration on seismic design margin of elbow in piping", Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Pressure Vessels 237 and Piping Division Conference, PVP2011, July 17-21, 2011, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
- Paolacci, F., Reza, M.S. and Bursi, O.S. (2011), "Seismic design criteria of refinery piping systems", Proceedings of the COMPDYN 2011-III ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Corfu, Greece, 26-28 May.
- Paolacci, F., Giannini, R. and Angelis, M.D. (2013a), "Seismic response mitigation of chemical plant components by passive control systems", J. Loss Prevention in Process Industries, DOI:10.1016/j.jlp.2013.03.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2013.03.003
- Paolacci, F., Reza, M.S., Bursi, O.S., Gresnigt, N. and Kumar, A. (2013b), "Main issues on the seismic design of industrial piping systems and components", Proceedings of the ASME 2013 Pressure Vessels & Piping Division Conference, PVP 2013, July 14-18, 2013, Paris, France.
- Pastor, M., Binda, M. and Harcarik, T. (2012), "Modal Assurance Criterion", Procedia Eng., 48, 543-548, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.09.551. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.09.551
- Reza, M.S., Bursi,O.S., Paolacci, F. and Kumar, A. (2014), "Enhanced seismic performance of non-standard bolted flange joints for petrochemical piping systems", J. Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 30, 124-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2014.05.011
- Saouma V. and Sivaselvan M.V. (eds) (2008), Hybrid simulation: Theory, implementation and applications, Taylor & Francis.
- Shing, P.B., Nakashima, M. and Bursi, O.S. (1996), "Application of pseudo dynamic test method to structural research", Earthq. Spectra, EERI, 12(1), 29-54. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585867
- Shing, P.B. (2008), "Real-time hybrid testing techniques" in Modern testing techniques for structural systems (Eds., Bursi, O.S. and Wagg, D.J.E.), CISM International Centre for Mechanical Sciences, Springer, Vienna.
- Simulink v 8.0 (2012), The Math Works, Inc.
- Touboul, F., Blay, N., Sollogoub, P. and Chapuliot, S. (2006), "Enhanced seismic criteria for piping", Nuclear Eng. Design, 236, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2005.07.002
- Vervaeck, A. and Daniell J. (2012), "Japan -366 days after the Quake… 19000 lives lost, 1.2 million buildings damaged, $574 billion", Earthquake-Report.com, http://earthquake-report.com/2012/03/10/japan-366-days-after-the-quake-19000-lives-lost-1-2-million -bui ldings-damaged-574-billion/
- Varelis, G.E., Karamanos, S.A. and Gresnigt, A.M. (2012), "Pipe elbows under strong cyclic loading", J. Pressure Vessel Technol., 135(1), 011207-011207-9. doi:10.1115/1.4007293. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4007293
- Wallace, M.I., Wagg, D.J., Neild, S.A., Bunniss, P., Lieven, N.A.J. and Crewe, A.J. (2007), "Testing coupled rotor blade-lag damper vibration using real-time dynamic substructuring", J. Sound Vib., 307(3-6), 737-754. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2007.07.004
- Wu, B., Wang, Q., Shing, P.B. and Ou, J. (2007), "Equivalent force control method for generalized real-time substructure testing with implicit integration", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 6(9), 1127-1149.
- Wu, B., Wang, Z. and Bursi, O.S. (2013), "Actuator dynamics compensation based on upper bound delay for real-time hybrid simulation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., doi: 10.1002/eqe.2296. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2296
- Yoshihiko, T. (2012), "Study on analogy between dynamic load and displacement-controlled load", Int. J. Pressure Vessels Piping, 90-91, 37-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2011.10.006
- Zare, M.R. and Wilkson, S. (2010), "Resilience of wastewater pipelines in earthquakes", Proceedings of the 9th U.S. National and 10th Canadian Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 25-29 July.
- Force-Based Frame Element Implementation for Real-Time Hybrid Simulation Using Explicit Direct Integration Algorithms vol.144, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001944
- Nonlinear heterogeneous dynamic substructuring and partitioned FETI time integration for the development of low-discrepancy simulation models vol.112, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.5556
- A composite experimental dynamic substructuring method based on partitioned algorithms and localized Lagrange multipliers vol.100, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2017.07.020