- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Study on Factors Influencing the Assimilation and Expected Benefits of Cloud Computing and the Moderating Effect of Organizational Readiness
기업의 클라우드 컴퓨팅 내재화 및 기대이익에 영향을 미치는 기술주도/수요견인 요인과 조직 준비성의 조절효과에 대한 실증연구
- Received : 2013.01.01
- Accepted : 2013.04.10
- Published : 2013.07.31
Recently, many companies are interested in adopting cloud computing as their IT strategy. However, no distinct results have appeared in the substantial implementation of this technology. The main reason for such result is from the absence of research models leading to high impact studies on cloud computing. Thus, this study attempts to find a possible answer for the following research question : what factors influence an organizational assimilation of cloud computing? This study investigates Technology-Push (TP)/Need-Pull (NP) theory as a main factor affecting cloud computing assimilation. Also, the study examines the moderating role of organizational readiness. TP includes of perceived benefits, vendor pressure, cost savings, and IT activity intensity while NP includes competitor orientation, information technology policy, technological turbulence, and performance gaps. In addition, organizational readiness suggests two variables, financial resources and technological knowledge. Result from 217 adopting organizations showed that all of these factors with exception of competitor orientation and vendor pressure, have statistically significant impact on assimilation of cloud computing. The implications of the findings propose a theoretical framework for the foundation of studies on cloud computing assimilation, which can server as important practical guidelines for technology development.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 김상현, 김근아, "정보보안관리에 영향을 미치는 기업환경요소와 규제자 영향의 조절효과", 한국경영과학회지, 제37권, 제3호(2012), pp.79-94. https://doi.org/10.7737/JKORMS.2012.37.3.079
- 노두환, 장석권, "B2C 클라우드 서비스 채택의도의 영향요인에 관한 연구", 한국경영과학회지, 제37권, 제3호(2012), pp.57-68. https://doi.org/10.7737/JKORMS.2012.37.3.057
- 이수열, "협력적 공급사슬관리가 참여기업 성과에 미치는 영향에 대한 연구 : 공급사슬 내 역량 이전의 관점에서", 한국경영과학회지, 제34권, 제3호(2009), pp.85-104.
- Armbrust, M., A. Fox, R. Griffith, A.D. Joseph, R. Katz, A. Konwinski, G. Lee, D. Patterson, A. Rabkin, I. Stoica, and M. Zaharia, "A View of Cloud Computing," Communications of The ACM, Vol.53, No.4(2010), pp.50-58.
- Armstrong, C.P. and V. Sambamurthy, "Information Technology Assimilation in Firms : The Influence of Senior Leadership and IT Infrastructures," Information Systems Research, Vol.10, No.4(1999), pp.304-327. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.10.4.304
- Behrend, T.S., E.N. Wiebe, J.E. London, and E.C. Johnson, "Cloud Computing Adoption and Usage in Community Colleges," Behaviour and Information Technology, Vol.30, No.2 (2011), pp.231-240. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144929X.2010.489118
- Boynton, A., R. Zmud, and G. Jacobs, "The influence of IT management practices on IT use in large organizations," MIS Quarterly, Vol.18, No.3(1994), pp.299-318. https://doi.org/10.2307/249620
- Chau, P.Y.K. and K.Y. Tam, "Organizational Adoption of Open Systems : A Technology-Push, Need-Pull Perspective," Information and Management, Vol.37, No.5(2000), pp.229-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7206(99)00050-6
- Chin, W.W., B.L. Marcolin, and P.R. Newsted, "A Partial Least Squares Latent Variable Modeling Approach for Measuring Interaction Effects : Result from a Monte Carlo Simulation Study and an Electronic-Mail Emotion/Adoption Study," Information Systems Research, Vol.14, No.2(2003), pp.189-217. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.188.8.131.5218
- Chwelos, P., I. Benbasat, and A.S. Dexter, "Research Report : Empirical Test of and EDI Adoption Model," Information Systems Research, Vol.12, No.3(2001), pp.304-321. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.12.3.304.9708
- Dosi, G., The Research on Innovation Diffusion : An Assessment, In Nakicenovic, N. and A. Grubler(Eds.) Diffusion of Technologies and Social Behavior, pp.179-208, New York : Springer Verlag, 1991.
- Doz, Y.L., P.M. Olk, and P.S. Ring, "Formation Processes of R&D Consortia : Which Path to Take? Where Does It Lead?," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.21, No.3(2000), pp.239-266. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<239::AID-SMJ97>3.0.CO;2-K
- Durowoju, O.A., H.K. Chan, and X. Wang, "The Impact of Security and Scalability of Cloud Service on Supply Chain Performance," Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol.12, No.4(2011), pp.243-256.
- Ettlie, J.E. and W.P. Bridges, "Environmental Uncertainty and Organizational Technological Policy," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.29, No.1(1982), pp.2-10.
- Fornell, C. and D.F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1(1981), pp.39-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Frambach, R.T., H.G. Barkema, B. Nooteboom, and M. Wedel, "Adoption of A Service Innovation in the Business Market : An Empirical Test of Supply-Side Variables," Journal of Business Research, Vol.41, No.2(1998), pp.161-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(97)00005-2
- Hayes, B., "Cloud Computing," Communications of The ACM, Vol.51, No.7(2008), pp.9-11. https://doi.org/10.1145/1342327.1342330
- Kim, S. and G. Garrison, "Understanding Users' Behaviors Regarding Supply Chain Technology : Determinants Impacting the Adoption and Implementation of RFID Technology in South Korea," International Journal of Information Management, Vol.30, No.5(2010), pp.388-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2010.02.008
- Kohli, R. and S. Devaraj, "Measuring Information Technology Payoff : A Meta-Analysis of Structural Variables in Firm-Level Empirical Research," Information Systems Research, Vol.14, No.2(2003), pp.127-145. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.184.108.40.20619
- Kwon, T.H. and R.W. Zmud, Underlying the Fragmented Models of Information Systems Implementation, In Boland, R.J. and R.A. Hirscheim(Eds.) Critical Issues in Information Systems Research, New York : John Wiley and Sons, 1987.
- Liang, H., N. Saraf, Q. Hu, and Y. Xue, "Assimilation of Enterprise Systems : The Effect of Institutional Pressures and the Mediating Role of Top Management," MIS Quarterly, Vol.31, No.1(2007), pp.59-87. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148781
- Lin, Y.K. and P.C. Chang, "Maintenance Reliability Estimation for a Cloud Computing Network with Nodes Failure," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.38, No.11(2011), pp.14185-14189.
- Lee, C.P. and J.P. Shim, "An Exploratory Study of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Adoption in the Healthcare Industry," European Journal of Information Systems, Vol.16, No.6(2007), pp.712-724. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.ejis.3000716
- Low, C., Y. Chen, and M. Wu, "Understanding the Determinants of Cloud Computing Adoption," Industrial Management and Data Systems, Vol.111, No.7(2011), pp.1006-1023. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635571111161262
- Marston, S., Z. Li, S. Bandyopadhyay, J. Zhang, and A. Ghalsasi, "Cloud Computing-The Business Perspective," Decision Support Systems, Vol.51, No.1(2011), pp.176-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.12.006
- Mishra, A.N., P. Konana, and A. Barua, "Antecedents and Consequences of Internet Use in Procurement : An Empirical Investigation of U.S. Manufacturing Firms," Information Systems Research, Vol.18, No.1 (2007), pp.103-120. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0115
- Mowery, D. and N. Rosenberg, "The Influence of Market Demand upon Innovation : A Critical Review of Some Recent Empirical Studies," Research Policy, Vol.8, No.2(1979), pp.102-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(79)90019-2
- Munro, H. and H. Noori, "Measuring Commitment to New Manufacturing Technology : Integrating Technological Push and Marketing Pull Concepts," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.35, No.2(1988), pp.63-70. https://doi.org/10.1109/17.6006
- Nunnally, J.C., Psychometric theory, 2nd ed., New York : McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- Rai, A. and R. Patnayakuni, "A Structural Model for CASE Adoption Behavior," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.13, No.2(1996), pp.205-234. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1996.11518129
- Ramamurthy, K., G. Premkumar, and M.R. Crum, "Organizational and Interorganizational Determinants of EDI Diffusion and Organizational Performance : A Causal Model," Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, Vol.9, No.4(1999), pp.253-285. https://doi.org/10.1207/S153277440904_2
- Ranganathan, C., J.S. Dhaliwal, and T.S.H. Teo, "Assimilation and Diffusion of Web Technologies in Supply-Chain Management : An Examination of Key Drivers and Performance Impacts," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.9, No.1(2004), pp.127-161.
- Rogers, E.M, Diffusion of Innovations, The Free Press, New York, 1983.
- Schon, D., Technology and Social Change, Delacorte, New York, 1967.
- Taylor, C.W. and D.S. Hunsinger, "A Study of Student Use of Cloud Computing Applications," Journal of Information Technology Management, Vol.22, No.3(2011), pp.36-50.
- Teo, T.S.H., M. Tan, and K.B. Wong, "A contingency model of Internet adoption in Singapore," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.2, No.2(1997-1998), pp.95-118.
- Wu, W.W., "Developing an Explorative Model for SaaS Adoption," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.32, No.12(2011), pp.15057-15064.
- Wu, F., V. Mahajan, and S. Balasubramanian, "An Analysis of E-Business Adoption and Its Impact on Business Performance," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.31, No.4(2003), pp.425-447. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070303255379
- Yoo, Y. and M. Alavi, "Media and Group Cohesion : Relative Influences on Social Presence, Task Participation, and Group Consensus," MIS Quarterly, Vol.25, No.3(2001), pp.371-390. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250922
- Zmud, R.W., "An Examination of 'Push-Pull' Theory Applied to Process Innovation in Knowledge Work," Management Science, Vol.30, No.6(1984), pp.727-738. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.30.6.727
- Effect of Experience Elements on Store Identity, Shopping Satisfaction and Behavioral Intention in Lifestyle Shops vol.40, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.4.685