- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Morinda citrifolia (Noni) Alters Oxidative Stress Marker and Antioxidant Activity in Cervical Cancer Cell Lines
- Gupta, Rakesh Kumar (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Science) ;
- Singh, Neeta (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Science)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: Cervical cancer, the second most common cancer in women, has a high mortality rate. Cisplatin, an antitumor agent, is generally used for its treatment. However, the administration of cisplatin is associated with side effects and intrinsic resistance. Morinda citrifolia (Noni), a natural plant product, has been shown to have antioxidant activities in vitro and in vivo. Materials and Methods: Both HeLa and SiHa cervical cancer cell lines were treated with 10% Noni, 10 mg/dl cisplatin, or a combination of both 10% Noni and 10 mg/dl cisplatin for 24 hours. Post culturing, the cells were pelleted and stored at
- Alitheen NB, Manaf AA, Yeap SK, et al (2010). Immunomodulatory effects of damnacanthal isolated from roots of Morinda elliptica. Pharm Biol, 48, 446-52.
- Alshatwi AA, Shafi G, Hasan TN, et al (2011). Apoptosis-mediated inhibition of human breast cancer cell proliferation by lemon citrus extract. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1555-9.
- Borek C (2004b). Dietary antioxidants and human cancer. Integr Cancer Ther, 3, 333-41. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735404270578
- Bullo M, Lamuela-Raventos R, Salas-Salvado J (2011). Mediterranean diet and oxidation: nuts and olive oil as important sources of fat and antioxidants. Curr Top Med Chem, 11, 1797-810. https://doi.org/10.2174/156802611796235062
- Gupta RK, Banerjee A, Pathak S, et al (2013). Induction of mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis by morinda citrifolia (noni) in human cervical cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 237-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.237
- Gupta RK, Patel AK, Kumari R, et al (2012). Interaction between oxidative stress, lipid profile and antioxidants in breast cancer: a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6295-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6295
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Hernandez-Flores G, Ortiz-Lazareno PC, Lerma-Diaz JM, et al (2011). Pentoxifylline sensitizes human cervical tumor cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis by suppressing NF-kappa B and decreased cell senescence. BMC Cancer, 11, 483. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-483
- Kostova I (2006). Platinum complexes as anticancer agents. recent patents on anti-cancer. Drug Discovery, 1, 1-22.
- Ma DL, West BJ, Su CX, et al (2007). Evaluation of the ergogenic potential of noni juice. Phytother Res, 21, 1100-1. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2188
- Mohd-Zin Z, Abdul-Hamid A, Osman A (2002). Antioxidative activity of extracts from Mengkudu (Morinda citrifolia L.) root, fruit and leaf. Food Chem, 78, 227-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(01)00402-2
- Pathak S, Bhatla N, Singh N (2012). Cervical cancer pathogenesis is associated with one carbon metabolism. Mol Cell Biochem, 369, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-012-1362-3
- Peerapatdit T, Patchanans N, Likidlilid A, Poldee S, Sriratanasathavorn C (2006). Plasma lipid peroxidation and antioxidiant nutrients in Type 2 Diabetic patients. J Med Assoc Thai, 89, 147-55.
- Serafini MR, Santos RC, Guimaraes AG, et al (2011). Morinda citrifolia Linn leaf extract possesses antioxidant activities and reduces nociceptive behavior and leukocyte migration. J Med Food, 14, 1159-66. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2010.0254
- Simone CB 2nd, Simone NL, Simone V, Simone CB (2007). Antioxidants and other nutrients do not interfere with chemotherapy or radioation therapy and can increase kill and increase survival. Part 1. Altern Ther Health Med, 13, 22-8.
- Su BN, Pawlus AD, Jung HA, et al (2005). Chemical constituents of the fruits of morinda citrifolia (Noni) and their antioxidant activity. J Nat Prod, 68, 592-5. https://doi.org/10.1021/np0495985
- Wang MY, Lutfiyya MN, Weidenbacher-Hoper V, et al (2009). Antioxidant activity of Noni juice in heavy smokers. Chem Cent J, 3, 13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-153X-3-13
- Wong YH, Abdul Kadir H (2012). Induction of mitochondria-mediated apoptosis in ca ski human cervical cancer cells triggered by mollic acid arabinoside isolated from leea indica. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2012, 684740
- Pu-erh Tea Powder Preventive Effects on Cisplatin-Induced Liver Oxidative Damage in Wistar Rats vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7389
- Blending of Soybean Oil with Selected Vegetable Oils: Impact on Oxidative Stability and Radical Scavenging Activity vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2583
- Significance of the Plasma Lipid Profile in Cases of Carcinoma of Cervix: A Tertiary Hospital Based Study vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3779
- Protective Role of Selenium and High Dose Vitamin E against Cisplatin - Induced Nephrotoxicty in Rats vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6877
- Influence of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) on Expression of DNA Repair Genes in Cervical Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3457
- Role of Minor Constituents and Balanced Fatty Acids in Upgrading the Low Stability of Cooking Oils Blended with Palm Super Olein vol.10, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/ajsr.2017.150.159
- Effect of Noni (Morinda citrifolia) Fruit Flour on Antioxidant Status and Hematological Indices of Laying Japanese Quail vol.16, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2017.93.97