- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Proposed Efficient Architectures and Design Choices in SoPC System for Speech Recognition
- Trang, Hoang (Department of Electrical-Electronics Engineering, University of Technology) ;
- Hoang, Tran Van (Department of Electrical-Electronics Engineering, University of Technology)
- Received : 2013.05.02
- Accepted : 2013.07.12
- Published : 2013.09.30
This paper presents the design of a System on Programmable Chip (SoPC) based on Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) for speech recognition in which Mel-Frequency Cepstral Coefficients (MFCC) for speech feature extraction and Vector Quantization for recognition are used. The implementing process of the speech recognition system undergoes the following steps: feature extraction, training codebook, recognition. In the first step of feature extraction, the input voice data will be transformed into spectral components and extracted to get the main features by using MFCC algorithm. In the recognition step, the obtained spectral features from the first step will be processed and compared with the trained components. The Vector Quantization (VQ) is applied in this step. In our experiment, Altera's DE2 board with Cyclone II FPGA is used to implement the recognition system which can recognize 64 words. The execution speed of the blocks in the speech recognition system is surveyed by calculating the number of clock cycles while executing each block. The recognition accuracies are also measured in different parameters of the system. These results in execution speed and recognition accuracy could help the designer to choose the best configurations in speech recognition on SoPC.
- Lawrance Rabiner & Biing - Hwang Juang: "Fundamentals of Speech Recognition", Prentice Hall PTR, 1993.
- Thomas Hain, Gunnar Evermann, Dan Kershaw, Gareth Moore, Julian Odell, Dave Ollason, Dan Povey, Valtcho Valtchev, Phil Woodland, Steve Young: "The Hidden Markov Model Toolkit (HTK) Book (for HTK version 3.2.1)", Cambridge University. Available at: http://htk.eng.cam.ac.uk/ (1995 - 2002).
- V. Amudha, B.Venkataramani, R. Vinoth kumar, S. Ravishankar: "Software/Hardware Co-Design of HMM based Isolated Digit Recognition System." In: Journal of Computers, VOL. 4, No. 2, pp. 154-159, (2009).
- Haitao Zhou, Xiaojun Han: "Design and Implementation of Speech Recognition System Based on Field Programmable Gate Array". In: Modern Applied Science, Vol. 3, No. 8, pp. 106-111, August 2009.
- Wei Han, Cheong-Fat Chan, Chiu-Sing Choy, Kong-Pang Pun: "An Efficient MFCC Extraction Method in Speech Recognition." In: the 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 145-148, Greece (2006).
- Wei Han: "A Speech Recognition IC with an Efficient MFCC Extraction Algorithm and Multi-mixture Models", the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Doctor of philosophy thesis, September 2006.
- S.-T. Pan, C.-C. Lai and B.-Y. Tsai: "The implementation of speech recognition systems on FPGA - based embedded systems with SOC architecture". In: International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Volume 7, Number 10, October 2011.
- O. Cheng, W. Abdulla, Z. Salcic: "Hardware-Software Co-design of Automatic Speech Recognition System for Embedded Real-Time Applications". In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, pp. 850-859, March 2011.
- Weiqian Liang, Hui Geng: "Design of speech recognition co-processor with fast Gaussian likelihood computation". In: the 3rd International Conference on Computer Research and Development (ICCRD), pp. 392-395, March 2011.
- Ge Zhang, Jinghua Yin, Qian Liu and Chao Yang: "A real-time speech recognition system based on the Implementation of FPGA". In: Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), pp. 1375-1378, July 2011.