- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Fundamental Properties of Alkali-Activated Slag Cement (AASC) Mortar with Different Water-Binder Ratios and Fine Aggregate-Binder Ratios
물-결합재 비와 잔골재-결합재 비에 따른 알칼리 활성화 슬래그 모르타르의 기초특성
- Received : 2013.03.13
- Accepted : 2013.07.12
- Published : 2013.09.30
This study investigates the fundamental properties of the water-binder (W/B) ratio and fine aggregate-binder (F/B) ratio in the alkali-activated slag cement (AASC) mortar. The W/B ratios are 0.35, 0.40, 0.45, and 0.50, respectively. And then the F/B ratios varied between 1.00 and 3.00 at a constant increment of 0.25. The alkali activator was an 2M and 4M NaOH. The measured mechanical properties were compared, flow, compressive strength, absorption, ultra sonic velocity, and dry shrinkage. The flow, compressive strength, absorption, ultra sonic velocity and dry shrinkage decreased with increases W/B ratio. The compressive strength decreases with increase F/B ratio at same W/B ratio. Also, at certain value of F/B ratio significant increase in strength is observed. And S2 (river sand 2) had lower physical properties than S1 (river sand 1) due to the fineness modulus. The results of experiments indicated that the mechanical properties of AASC depended on the W/B ratio and F/B ratio. The optimum range for W/B ratios and F/B ratios of AASC is suggested that the F/B ratios by 1.75~2.50 at each W/B ratios. Moreover, the W/(B+F) ratios between 0.13 and 0.14 had a beneficial effect on the design of AASC mortar.
- Atis, C. D., Bilim, C., Celik, O., Karahan, O., "Influence of activator on the strength and drying shrinkage of alkaliactivated slag mortar", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 23, 2009, pp.548-555. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.10.011
- Bernal, S. A., Mejia de Gutierrez, R., Pedraza, A. L., Provis, J. L., Rodriguez, E. D., Delvasto, S., "Effect of binder content on the performance of alkali-actiated slag concretes", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 41, 2011, pp.1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2010.08.017
- Bilim, C., Karahan, O., Atis, C. D., Ilkentapar, S., "Influence of admixtures on the properties of alkali-activated slag mortars subjected to different curing conditions", Materials and Design, Vol. 44, 2013, pp.540-547. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2012.08.049
- Burciaga-Diaz, O., Diaz-Guillen, M. R., Fuentes, A. F., Escalante-Garcia, J. I., "Mortars of alkali-activated blast furnace slag with high aggregate : binder ratios", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 44, 2013, pp.607-614. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.03.057
- Chi, M., Huang, R., "Binding mechanism and properties of alkali-activated fly ash/slag mortars", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 40, 2013, pp.291-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.11.003
- Collins, F., Sanjayan, J. G., "Effect of pore size distribution on drying shrinkage of alkali-activated slag concrete", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 30, 2000, pp.1401-1406. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00327-6
- Han, C. G., Shin, B. C., Kim, G. C., Lee, S. T., "Influence of Grading and Grade Shape in Aggregate on the Strength and Absorption of Cement Mortar Products", Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 12, No. 1, 2000, pp.45-51 (in Korean).
- Joseph, B., Mathew, G., "Influence of aggregate content on the behavior of fly ash based geopolymer concrete", Sharif University of Technology, Vol. 19, 2012, pp.1188-1194.
- Kang, S. T., Ryu, G. S., Koh, K. T., Lee, J. H., "Optimum Mix Design of Alkali-Activated Cement Mortar Using Bottom Ash as Binder", Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2011, pp.487-494 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2011.23.4.487
- Kim, T. W., Park, H. J., Seo, K. Y., "Influence of Blended Activators on the Physical Properties of Alkali-activated Slag Mortar", Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 16, 2012, pp.26-33 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2012.16.6.026
- Lee, W. K. W., J. van Deventer, J. S., "The interface between natural siliceous aggregates and geopolymers", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 34, 2004, pp.195-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(03)00250-3
- Lee, Y. J., Jee, N. Y., Kim, J. H., "The Experimental Study for Application of Alkali Activated Slag Concrete", Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, Vol. 23, No. 2, 2007, pp.99-106 (in Korean).
- Li, C., Sun, H., Li, L., "A review: The comparison between alkali-activated slag (Si+Ca) and metakaolin (Si+Al) cements", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 40, 2010, pp.1341-1349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2010.03.020
- Neto, A. A. M, Cjncotto,M. A., Repette, W., "Drying and autogenous shrinkage of pastes and mortars with activated slag cement", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 38, 2008, pp.565-574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2007.11.002
- Pacheco-Torgal, F., Castro-Gomes, J., Jalali, S., "Alkali-activated binders: A review: Part 1. Historical background, terminology, reaction mechanism and hydration products", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 22, 2008, pp.1305-1314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.10.015
- Pacheco-Torgal, F., Castro-Gomes, J., Jalali, S., "Investigations about the effect of aggregates on strength and microstructure of geopolymeric mine waste mud binders", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 37, 2007, pp.933-941. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2007.02.006
- Ruiz-Santaquiteria, C., Skibsted, J., Fernandez-Jimenez, A., Palomo, A., "Alkaline solution/binder ratio as a determining factor in the alkaline activation of aluminosilicates", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 42, 2012, pp.1242-1251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2012.05.019
- Yang, K. H., Cho, A. R., Song, J. K., "Effect of water-binder ratio on the mechanical properties of calcium hydroxide-based alkali-activated slag concrete", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 29, 2012, pp.504-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.10.062
- Yang, K. H., Song, J. K., Lee, K. S., Ashraf F. Ashour, "Flow and Compressive Strength of Alkali-Activated Mortars", ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 106, 2009, pp.50-57.
- Influence of slag content and water-binder ratio on leaching behavior of cement pastes vol.129, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.11.003
- The Fundamental Study of Strength and Drying Shrinkage on Alkali-activated Slag Cement Mortar with Different Entering Point of Fine Aggregate vol.18, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2014.18.2.117