- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Social Relationships and Family Relationships on the Life Satisfaction of Married Female Baby Boomers in Busan and Gyeongnam Province
부산·경남지역 베이비붐 세대 기혼여성의 사회관계 및 가족관계가 생활만족도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Kim, Eunkyung (Dept. of Family Welfare, Changwon National University)
- 김은경 (창원대학교 가족복지학과)
- Received : 2013.04.04
- Accepted : 2013.05.21
- Published : 2013.06.30
The purpose of this study was to identify how social relationships and family relationships were associated with the life satisfaction of married female baby boomers who live in Busan and Gyeongnam province. This study included community sample of 499 female baby boomers who were married and had at least one child. Participants reported lower levels of life satisfaction. A hierarchical regression analysis was conducted to investigate the effects of the following variables on the female baby boomers' life satisfaction: subjective health, educational level, monthly household income, employment status, perceived size of social network, participation in leisure organizations, participation in voluntary associations, satisfaction with children, and marital satisfaction. Except employment status and participation in leisure organizations, other 7 variables were significantly and positively associated with the life satisfaction of married female baby boomers. In particular, marital satisfaction had the strongest effect on life satisfaction, followed by satisfaction with children. The results suggested family played a primary role in the life of married female baby boomers. Family life education program~ female baby boomers, their children and husbands need to be developed and offered in order to improve the life satisfaction of female baby boomers.
Supported by : 창원대학교
- Bang, H. (2011). Baby boom generation: Who are they? Monthly Labor Review, 92, 5-9.
- Bang, H. M. (2004). Study on the life satisfaction of the elderly people participating community senior clubs in Gwangju metropolitan city and Jeonnam province. Unpublished mater thesis, Chosun University, Korea.
- Bisconti, T. L., & Bergeman, C. S.(1999). Perceived social control as mediators of the relationships among social support, psychological well-being, and perceived health. The Gerontologist, 39(1), 94-103. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/39.1.94
- Blake, W. M., & Darling, C. A. (2000). Quality of life perceptions of African Americans. Journal of Black Studies, 30(3), 411-427. https://doi.org/10.1177/002193470003000307
- Burr, W. R. (1970). Satisfaction with various aspects of marriage over life cycle: A random middle class sample. Journal of Marriage and Family, 32(1), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.2307/349968
- Chung, K. H. (2012). An outlook of baby boomers' olde age life. Health-welfare Policy Forum, 187, 40-49.
- Chung, K. H., Lee, S. J., Lee, Y. K., Kim, S. B., Sunwoo, D., Oh, Y. H., Kim, K. R., Park, B. M., Yoo, H. Y., & Lee, E. J. (2010). Baby boomers' demographic profiles and welfare needs. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Chung, K. H., Oh, Y. H., Lee, Y. K., & Park, B. M. (2011). A study on the diversity of baby boomers in Korea. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Chung, S., & Lee, H. (2012). Life satisfaction for baby-boomers: Compare 1998 with 2008. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 55, 105-132.
- Diener, E. (1984). Assessing subjective well-being: Progress and opportunities. Social Indicators Research, 31, 103-157.
- Diener, E., Emmons, R. A., Larsen, R. J., Griffin, S. (1985). The satisfaction with life scale. Journal of Personality Assessment, 49(1), 71-75. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- Garduno, M. D. M., Lopez-Fuentes, N. I. G., Barneveld, H. O. V., & Expinosa, A. C. D.(2012). Life satisfaction associated with family support in perimenopause and postmenopause. Salud Mental, 35, 83-90.
- George, L., & Bearon, L. (1980). Quality of life in older persons. New York: Human Sciences Press.
- Gim, W., & Kim, Y. (1997). The relationship between subjective well-being and social activity. Korean Journal of Psychology: Social Issues, 3(1), 61-81.
- Han, K. (1995). The family life, job, and leisure satisfaction of employed married women. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 13(3), 47-57.
- Han, K. (2010). Korean baby boomer: Understanding their life course and life style. The Korean Gerontological Society Fall Conference Book(pp. 3-13) Seoul. Korea.
- Han, K. (2011). Understanding about the baby boomers' family, The 7th Baby Boom Generation Future Forum(pp. 1-38). Seoul. Korea.
- Huh, E. & Kim, W. (2003). Consumption expenditures and savings of baby boomer generation households and generation X households. Journal of Consumption Culture, 6(3), 79-97.
- Hutchinson, G., Simeon, D. T., Bain, B. C., Wyatt, G. E., Tucker, M. B., & Lefranc, E. (2004). C. Social and health determinants of well being and life satisfaction in Jamaica. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 50(1), 43-53. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764004040952
- Jang, H. (2011). Close social relationships on the based of convoy model in middle aged Korean adults. Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 24(1), 1-18.
- Jang, J. (2005). The influences of married women's volunteer activities on the life satisfaction. Unpublished master thesis, Daegu Catholic University, Korea.
- Jang, M., & Kim, D. S. (2011). The impact of personal traits, family characteristics, and job satisfaction on the psychological well-being of middle aged men from the baby boomer generation working in large corporations. Journal of Korean Home Economics, 49(2), 1-11.
- Jeon, O., & Lee, S. (2006). Relation with life satisfaction by the characteristic of volunteer service activity for married women of middle-aged. Gyeongju Research, 15, 159-184.
- Kang, H. J. (2009). Social activity and satisfaction of life in female elders living alone in rural area. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, 21, 1-26.
- Kang, H. O., & Hwang, H. W. (2009). Factors affecting life satisfaction of elderly people under participation in job activities. Journal of Korean Welfare for the Aged, 44, 89-109.
- Khang, S. K. (2012). An exploratory study on generation differences in life satisfaction and related factors: Generational comparisons using the Korean welfare panel study. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, 43(4), 91-119. https://doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2012.43.4.91
- Kim, E. (2002). The effects of family relations on life satisfaction of the rural elderly. Journal of Asian Regional Association for Home Economics, 9(2), 66-71.
- Kim, E. (2012). The factors related to the menopausal symptoms of married middle-aged women: Focus on the effects of attitudes toward menopause and family related variables, Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 21(6), 1043-1058. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.6.1043
- Kim, M. (2006). The study of comparing the factors of affecting on the quality of life for young-old women and old-old women. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 58(2), 197-222.
- Kim, M. (2011a). A comparative study of the factors of women's quality of life by generation-baby boom, X and pre-older adults. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 51, 7-34.
- Kim, M. S., & Han, Y. S. (2006). Quality of life and happiness of middle aged women. Korean Psychological Association 2006 Conference Book(p. 204-205), Seoul. Korea.
- Kim, S. (2010). Direction of social policy for the improvement of olders' global life satisfaction. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 47, 95-112.
- Kim, S. H. (2009). A study on self-esteem and life satisfaction of the elderly- Focused on whether the elderly participation in the elderly employment promotion project or not. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 29(1), 309-327.
- Kim, W., & Huh, E. (2007). Comparing consumption-related values and lifestyles of baby boomers, generation X, and generation Y. Journal of Consumption Culture, 10(4), 31-53. https://doi.org/10.1080/10253860601116494
- Kim, Y. (1999). Study about subjective well-being and adaptation of middle aged male workers. Unpublished master thesis, Korea University, Korea.
- Kim, Y. (2003). Work-family role burden and psyhological well-being of Korean men in the middle-aged. Unpublished master thesis, Kunsan National University, Korea.
- Kim, Y. R.(2011b). Who are the female baby boomers? Gender Review, 20, 52-61
- Kim, Y., & Joo, J. (2010). Comparison of characteristics of female and male baby boomer. Korean women's development institute, Seoul, Korea.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, T. (2002). Beyond parental status: Psychological well- being in middle and old age. Journal of Marriage and Family, 64, 957-971 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2002.00957.x
- Kwon, J. D. (2009). Elderly Welfare. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Kwon, J. D., & Cho, J. Y. (2000). A study of factors influencing the life satisfaction of the aged. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 20(3), 61-76.
- Laslett, P. (1991). A fresh map of life: The emergence of the third age. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Lee, E. (2007). The relationships between middle-aged men's family and work related variables and satisfaction. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 16(3), 547-562. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.3.547
- Lee, G. U., & Heo, S. Y. (2008). The use of focus groups in defining quality of life among urban elderly people. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 28(2), 269-290.
- Lee, J. U. (2010). Predictors of life satisfaction among older adults in South Korea: Differences by education level, Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 30(3), 709-726.
- Lee, M. J. (2002). Job stress of middle-aged man and its coping & satisfaction with life according tot the social support. Unpublished master thesis, Dongduk Women's University, Korea.
- Lee, Y. (1997). Life satisfaction of housewives. Family and Culture, 3, 39-52
- Lee, Y. (2000). Conjugal role sharing on women's marital satisfaction, Korea Journal of Population Studies, 33(1), 103-131.
- Lim, H. Y., & Kim, K. S. (2001). The effects of social support network on the life satisfaction of married middle-aged women. Journal of Korean Home Economic Association, 39(12), 189-203.
- Lim, S. J., & Auh, S. (2011). The research on the ecological influential factors of the perceived quality of life among the middle aged adults. Journal of Korean Family Resource Management Association, 15(4), 129-147.
- Lim, Y., Park, J., & Yoon, H. (2011). Factors predicting Life Satisfaction of Baby Boom Generation : Focusing on differences between aged parents'' generation, Critical Welfare Policy, 33, 7-44.
- Maples, A. P.,& Abney, P. C. (2006). Baby boomers mature and gerontological counseling comes of age. Journal of Counseling & Development, 84, 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6678.2006.tb00374.x
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2009). Development of nutritional screening and assessment tools and a local database for food supplements use in relation to perimenopausal and menopausal women's health improvement.
- Nam, G. (2005). A study of influence of voluntary work of the middle aged-women on their quality of life. Unpublished master thesis, Myongji University, Korea.
- Neugarten, B. L., Havighurst, R. J., & Tobin, S. S. (1961). The measurement of life satisfaction. Journal of Gerontology, 16, 134-143. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/16.2.134
- Ng K, Loy, J. T., Gudmunson, C. G., & Cheong W. (2009). Gender differences in marital and life satisfaction among Chinese Malaysians. Sex Roles, 60, 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-008-9503-6
- Park, C. (2011). Factors affecting private financial preparation for aging of the baby boomers in Korea. Journal of Korean Social Security Association, 27(4), 327-351.
- Park, E., & Kim, J. H. (2002). Effects of leisure experience and identity salience on leisure and life satisfaction: Focused on serious leisure. Korean Journal of Psychology, 21(2), 141-161.
- Park, J. S., & Park, K. R. (2009). The effects of leisure constraints and leisure sufficiency of late middle-aged adults on their life satisfaction. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 18(3). 689-702. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.3.689
- Park, K. M., Whangbo, S. H., & Lee, J. S. (1999). A study on the quality of life of the middle-aged in Pohang city-Comparison 1988 data with 1998s of quality of life. Keimyung Nursing, 3(1), 97-110.
- Park, O, Kim, J., Chung, Y. (2004). Factors related to the quality of life among middle aged women in rural area. Journal of Korea in Agricultural Education, 36(4), 89-100.
- Rha, I. J., Lim, C. Y., & Park, S. H. (2008). Preparing for the retiring baby boom generation in Korea: From the national human resource development perspectives, Journal of Korean Welfare for the Aged, 42, 151-174.
- Ryu, S., Kim, K., & Choi, I. (2011). The longitudinal effect of leisure on happiness and health in midlife. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 17(4), 415-434.
- Seo, J., & Han, K. (1998). The effects of family and employment characteristics on the psychological well-being of men in the early/middle adulthood. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 16(2), 165-177.
- Seo, S. (2005). A study on the actual conditions of the elderly people's voluntary activity and on the schemes for its revitalization. Unpublished masters thesis, Hanil University and Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
- Song, Y. M. (2000). A study on the relationship between life satisfaction and marital relationship of elderly. Unpublished mater thesis, Chongju University, Korea.
- Statistics Korea(2010, April 11). Characteristics of Baby Boom Generation through Social Survey. Retrived Feb. 12, 2013 from http://kostat.go.kr/ portal/ korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=70430
- Statistics Korea(2012, April 19). Marriage and Divorce Statistics. Retrived Jan. 15 from http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/2/1/index.bo ard? bmode=read &aSeq=255001
- Treas, J., Lippe, T. V., & Tai T. C.(2011). The happy homemaker?: Married women's well-being in cross-national perspective. Social Forces, 90(1), 111-132. https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/90.1.111
- Webb, E., Blane, D., McMunn, A., & Netuveli, G. (2011) Proximal predictors of change in quality of life at older ages. The Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 65(6), 542-547. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2009.101758
- Zapolsky, S. (2003). Baby boomers and retirement. In Lois, A. V.(ed.) Encyclopedia of Retirement and Finance. Wetport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Factors Related to Depression of Married Female Baby Boomers in Busan and Gyeongnam Province by Employment Status vol.23, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2014.23.6.1105