- Volume 42 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Activities of Beverage Concentrates and Purees
음료 농축액 및 퓨레의 항산화 활성
- Kim, Dan Bi (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Shin, Gi Hae (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Cho, Ju Hyun (Hurum Central Research Institute) ;
- Baik, Soon Ok (Hurum Central Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Ok-Hawn (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University)
- 김단비 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 신기해 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 조주현 ((주)휴럼 중앙연구소) ;
- 백순옥 ((주)휴럼 중앙연구소) ;
- 이옥환 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과)
- Received : 2013.03.04
- Accepted : 2013.04.03
- Published : 2013.07.31
This study investigated the physicochemical properties (pH, Brix), total phenol content, antioxidant activities (DPPH radical scavenging activity and oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC)), and nitrite scavenging activity of beverage concentrates and purees. All concentrates and purees were produced from natural materials and have been used as the main ingredients in health-related beverages. Our results show that the pH values and Brix of all concentrates and purees ranged from 2.81 to 5.12 and 1.70 to 70.30 Brix, respectively. The highest total phenol content (182.71 mg GAE/mL), DPPH radical scavenging activity (69.88%) and nitrite scavenging activity (28.19%) were obtained from acai berry puree. The concentrate from wild blueberry had the highest ORAC value (
본 연구에서는 음료 농축액 및 퓨레로 사용되는 석류 농축액, 블루베리 농축액, 양파추출 농축액, 도라지추출 농축액, 흑마늘 농축액, 홍삼 농축액, 아사이베리 퓨레, 새싹유채 퓨레의 이화학적 특성, 총 페놀 함량, 항산화 효능(DPPH radical scavenging, ORAC) 및 아질산염 소거능을 분석하였다. pH는 석류 농축액이 2.81로 가장 낮았으며 양파추출 농축액이 5.12로 가장 높은 수치를 나타냈다. Brix는 홍삼 농축액이 70.30으로 가장 높았고 새싹유채 퓨레가 1.70으로 가장 낮았다. 총 페놀 함량은 아사이베리 퓨레에서 182.71 mg GAE/mL로 다른 시료에 비하여 높은 수치를 나타냈고 양파추출 농축액이 8.80 mg GAE/mL로 가장 낮았다. DPPH 라디칼 소거능 측정은 총 페놀 함량과 마찬가지로 아사이베리 퓨레에서 69.88%로 가장 높은 활성을 나타내었다. ORAC 지수는 블루베리 농축액에서
Supported by : 지식경제부
- Droge W. 2002. Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function. Physiol Rev 82: 47-95. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00018.2001
- Halliwell B, Aeschbach R, Loliger J, Aruoma OI. 1995. The characterization of antioxidants. Food Chem Toxicol 33:601-617. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-6915(95)00024-V
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MT, Mazur M, Telser J. 2007. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39: 44-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2006.07.001
- Stella SP, Ferrarezi AC, dos Santos KO, Monteiro M. 2011. Antioxidant activity of commercial ready-to-drink orange juice and nectar. J Food Sci 76: C392-C397.
- Albertazzi P, Steel SA, Clifford E, Bottazzi M. 2002. Attitudes towards and use of dietary supplementation in a sample of postmenopausal women. Climacteric 5: 374-382. https://doi.org/10.1080/713605304
- Park SH, Hwang HS, Han JH. 2004. Development of drink from composition with medicinal plants and evaluation of its physiological function. Korean J Nutr 37: 364-372.
- Shin EH. 2009. Component analysis and antioxidant activity of Pueraria flos. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1139-1144. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.9.1139
- Shin SY, Chung L. 2007. The preference and frequency of beverages related to health factor in university students. Korean J Food Culture 22: 420-433.
- Solheim R, Lawless HT. 1996. Consumer purchase probability affected by attitude towards low-fat foods, liking, private body consciousness and information on fat and price. Food Quality and Preference 7: 137-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/0950-3293(95)00045-3
- Velioglu YS, Mazza G, Gao L, Oomah BD. 1998. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables, and grain products. J Agric Food Chem 46: 4113-4117. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9801973
- Thaipong K, Boonprakob U, Crosby K, Cisneros-Zevallos L, Hawkins Byrne D. 2006. Comparison of ABTS, DPPH, FRAP, and ORAC assays for estimating antioxidant activity from guava fruit extracts. J Food Compos Anal 19: 669-675. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2006.01.003
- Nijveldt RJ, van Nood E, van Hoorn DE, Boelens PG, van Norren K, van Leeuwen PA. 2001. Flavonoids: a review of probable mechanisms of action and potential applications. Am J Clin Nutr 74: 418-425. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/74.4.418
- Su MS, Silva JL. 2006. Antioxidant activity, anthocyanins, and phenolics of rabbiteye blueberry (Vaccinium ashei) byproducts as affected by fermentation. Food Chem 97: 447-451. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.05.023
- Seeram NP, Adams LS, Zhang Y, Lee R, Sand D, Scheuller HS, Heber D. 2006. Blackberry, black raspberry, blueberry, cranberry, red raspberry, and strawberry extracts inhibit growth and stimulate apoptosis of human cancer cells in vitro. J Agric Food Chem 54: 9329-9339. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf061750g
- Rocha A, Wang L, Penichet M, Martins-Green M. 2012. Pomegranate juice and specific components inhibit cell and molecular processes critical for metastasis of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 136: 647-658. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-2264-5
- Lee SK, So SH, Hwang EI, Koo BS, Han GH, Ko SB, Kim NM. 2008. Effect of ginseng and herbal plant mixtures on anti-obesity in obese SD rat induced by high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 437-444. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.4.437
- Kim BH, Eun JB. 2012. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of makgeolli with pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) juice concentrate added. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44: 417-421. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.4.417
- Kim DK, Baik MY, Kim HK, Hahm YT, Kim BY. 2012. Manufacture of the red ginseng vinegar fermented with red ginseng concentrate and rice wine, and its quality evaluation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44: 179-184. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.2.179
- Park JH, Kim SY, Kang MG, Yoon MS, Lee YI, Park EJ. 2012. Antioxidant activity and safety evaluation of juice containing Protaetia brevitarsis. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 41-48. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.1.041
- Duval B, Shetty K. 2001. The stimulation of phenolics and antioxidant activity in pea (Pisum sativum) elicited by genetically transformed anise root extract. J Food Biochem 25: 361-377. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2001.tb00746.x
- Stagos D, Portesis N, Spanou C, Mossialos D, Aligiannis N, Chaita E, Panagoulis C, Reri E, Skaltsounis L, Tsatsakis AM, Kouretas D. 2012. Correlation of total polyphenolic content with antioxidant and antibacterial activity of 24 extracts from Greek domestic Lamiaceae species. Food Chem Toxicol 50: 4115-4124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.08.033
- Roy MK, Koide M, Rao TP, Okubo T, Ogasawara Y, Juneja LR. 2010. ORAC and DPPH assay comparison to assess antioxidant capacity of tea infusions: relationship between total polyphenol and individual catechin content. Int J Food Sci Nutr 61: 109-124. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637480903292601
- Kato H, Lee IE, Chuyen NV, Kim SB, Hayase F. 1987. Inhibition of nitrosamine formation by nondialyzable melanoidins. Agric Biol Chem 51: 1333-1338. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.51.1333
- Rice-Evans C, Miller N, Paganga G. 1997. Antioxidant properties of phenolic compounds. Trends Plant Sci 2: 152-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-1385(97)01018-2
- Huang WY, Zhang HC, Liu WX, Li CY. 2012. Survey of antioxidant capacity and phenolic composition of blueberry, blackberry, and strawberry in Nanjing. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 13: 94-102. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B1100137
- Bondet V, Brand-Williams W, Berset C. 1997. Kinetics and mechanisms of antioxidant activity using the DPPH free radical Method. LWT-Food Sci Technol 30: 609-615. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1997.0240
- Jeong CH, Choi SG, Heo HJ. 2008. Analysis of nutritional compositions and antioxidative activities of Korean commercial blueberry and raspberry. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1375-1381. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.11.1375
- Huang D, Ou B, Prior RL. 2005. The chemistry behind antioxidant capacity assays. J Agric Food Chem 53: 1841-1856. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf030723c
- Prior RL, Hoang H, Gu L, Wu X, Bacchiocca M, Howard L, Hampsch-Woodill M, Huang D, Ou B, Jacob R. 2003. Assays for hydrophilic and lipophilic antioxidant capacity (oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORACFL)) of plasma and other biological and food samples. J Agric Food Chem 51: 3273-3279. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0262256
- Prior RL, Wu X, Schaich K. 2005. Standardized methods for the determination of antioxidant capacity and phenolics in foods and dietary supplements. J Agric Food Chem 53:4290-4302. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0502698
- Speisky H, Lopez-Alarcon C, Gomez M, Fuentes J, Sandoval-Acuna C. 2012. First web-based database on total phenolics and oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) of fruits produced and consumed within the south Andes region of South America. J Agric Food Chem 60: 8851-8859. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf205167k
- Feeney MJ. 2004. Fruits and the prevention of lifestyle-related diseases. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2: S11-S13.
- Massey RC, Crews C, Davies R, McWeeny DJ. 1978. A study of the competitive nitrosations of pyrrolidine, ascorbic acid, cysteine and p-cresol in a protein‐based model system. J Sci Food Agric 29: 815-821. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740290912
- Jin Q, Park JR, Kim JB, Cha MH. 1999. Physiological activity of Zizyphus jujaba leaf extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 593-598.
- Cooney RV, Ross PD, Bartolini GL. 1986. N-nitrosation and N-nitration of morpholine by nitrogen dioxide: inhibition by ascorbate, glutathione and alpha-tocopherol. Cancer Lett 35: 83-90.
- Lee GD, Chang HG, Kim HK. 1997. Antioxidative and nitrite- scavenging activities of edible mushrooms. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 432-436.
- Kim SM, Cho YS, Sung SK. 2001. The antioxidant ability and nitrite scavenging ability of plant extract. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 626-632.
- Maisuthisakul P, Suttajit M, Pongsawatmanit R. 2007. Assessment of phenolic content and free radical-scavenging capacity of some Thai indigenous plants. Food Chem 100:1409-1418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.11.032
- Mayeux PR, Agrawal KC, Tou JS, King BT, Lippton HL, Hyman AL, Kadowitz PJ, McNamara DB. 1998. The pharmacological effects of allicin, a constituent of garlic oil. Agents Actions 25: 182-190.
- Antioxidant and Synergistic Activities of Fruit and Vegetable Concentrates vol.47, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.2.240