- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
GENERALIZED THERMO ELASTIC WAVES IN A CYLINDRICAL PANEL EMBEDDED ON ELASTIC MEDIUM
- Ponnusamy, P. (Department of Mathematics, Govt Arts College (Autonomous)) ;
- Selvamani, R. (Department of Mathematics, Karunya University)
- Received : 2011.11.11
- Accepted : 2012.05.21
- Published : 2013.03.25
In this paper the three dimensional wave propagation in a homogeneous isotropic thermo elastic cylindrical panel embedded in an elastic medium (Winkler model) is investigated in the context of the L-S (Lord-Shulman) theory of generalized thermo elasticity. The analysis is carried out by introducing three displacement functions so that the equations of motion are uncoupled and simplified. A Bessel function solution with complex arguments is then directly used for the case of complex Eigen values. This type of study is important for design of structures in atomic reactors, steam turbines, wave loading on submarine, the impact loading due to superfast train and jets and other devices operating at elevated temperature. In order to illustrate theoretical development, numerical solutions are obtained and presented graphically for a zinc material with the support of MATLAB.
- W. Nowacki, Dynamical problems of thermo elasticity,.Noordhoff, Leyden, The Netherlands, 1975.
- Lord and Y.Shulman, A generalized dynamical theory of thermo elasticity, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 15, (1967), 299-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(67)90024-5
- A.E Green and Lindsay K.A, Thermo elasticity, Journal of Elasticity 2(1972), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00045689
- X. Wang, Three dimensional analysis of multi layered functionally graded anisotropic cylindrical panel under thermo mechanical load, Mechanics of materials 40(2008), 235-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmat.2007.06.008
- C. B Hallam Ollerton E, Thermal stresses in axially connected circular cylinders, Journal of Strain Analysis 8(3), (1973), 160-167. https://doi.org/10.1243/03093247V083160
- C. F Gao and N. Noda, Thermal-induced interfacial cracking of magneto electro elastic materials, International journal of Engineering Sciences, 42,(2004), 1347-1360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijengsci.2004.03.005
- W.Q Chen, C.W Lim H. J Ding , Point temperature solution for a penny-shapped crack in an infinite transversely isotropic thermo-piezo-elastic medium, Engineering Analysis with Boundary elements, 29, (2005),524-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enganabound.2005.01.010
- D.K Banerjee and Y.H Pao, Thermo elastic waves in anisotropic solid, Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 56 (1974), 1444-1454. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1903463
- J.N Sharma, Three dimensional vibration analysis of homogenous transversely isotropic thermo elastic cylindrical panel, Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 110 (2001), 648-653.
- Y.Y Yu and N.Y Syracuse, Free vibrations of thin cylindrical shells having finite lengths with freely supported and clamped edges, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 22 (1955),547-552.
- APS Selvadurai, Elastic Analysis of Soil Foundation Interaction, New York, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co, 1979.
- K.C Wong, S.K Datta, A.H Shah, Three-dimensional motion of buried Pipeline.I: analysis, ASCE J Engng Mech, 112(1986), 1319-1337. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1986)112:12(1319)
- D.N Paliwal, R.K Pandey, T Nath, Free vibrations of circular cylindrical shell on Winkler and Pasternak foundations, International Journal of Pressure Vessel Piping, 69(1996),79-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-0161(95)00010-0
- P.C Upadhyay, B.K Mishra, Non-axisymmetric dynamic response of buried orthotropic cylindrical shells, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 121 (1988),149-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(88)80067-1
- J.B Cai W.Q Chen G.R Ye, H.J Ding, On natural frequencies of a transversely isotropic Cylindrical panel on a kerr foundation, Journal of Sound and Vibration ,232(5)(2000),997-100 https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1999.2703