- Volume 5 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Perceptions on Evaluation and Treatment of Swallowing Disorders in Speech-Language Pathologists
삼킴장애 진단과 치료에 대한 언어치료전공자의 인식 및 현황
- Received : 2013.12.03
- Accepted : 2013.12.21
- Published : 2013.12.31
The purpose of this study is to survey Speech-Language Pathologists' perception on evaluation and treatment of "swallowing disorders". An online questionnaire was sent to the 279 subjects attending undergraduate/graduate programs in speech therapy department and/or SLPs who work in various settings. The survey consisted of three parts: 1) background information and educational/clinical experiences that are associated with dysphagia (swallowing disorder), 2) the current state of diagnosis and treatment of dysphagia of clinical practice (certified SLPs only), 3) the recognition of diagnosis, treatment, education for dysphagia. Each item of the survey was scaled by the participants on a five-point Likert scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all and 5 being extremely) or self-reported answers. The results of the survey showed that SLPs have high interest in "swallowing disorder", but most of them regarded them very difficult to diagnose and treat. The reason is that they have not been trained as a swallowing specialist. Therefore it is necessary to provide more opportunities for education and practice to establish the expertise of SLPs.
- Howden, C.W. (2004). Management of acid-related disorders in patients with dysphagia. American Journal of Medicine, 117(5A), 44S-48S.
- Lee, E.J., Kwon, M.J., Ko, Y.O., & Jeong, O.R. (2008). A research analysis on the care of dysphagia. Journal of Speech-Language and Hearing Disorders, 17, 103-121. (이은정, 권미지, 고영옥, 정옥란 (2008). 연하장애 평가 및 치료체계에 대한 실태조사, 언어치료연구, 17, 103-121.) https://doi.org/10.15724/jslhd.2008.17.1.006
- Logemann, J.A. (2007). Evaluation and treatment of swallowing disorders. Austin, TX: Pro-ed.
- Martino, R., Foley, N., Bhogal, S., Diamant, N., Speechley, M., & Teasell, R. (2005). Dysphagia after stroke: Incidence, diagnosis, and pulmonary complications. Stroke, 36, 2756-2763. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000190056.76543.eb
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2010). Korea Health Statistics 2010: Korea National Health & Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES V-1). Seoul: Author. (보건복지부(2010). 2010 국민건강통계: 국민건강영양조사 제5기 1차년도. 서울: 동부.)
- Shin, M.S., & Kim, J. (2012). Speech therapists' perspective toward rehabilitation of adults with neurogenic language disorders. Journal of Speech-Language and Hearing Disorders, 21, 53-72. (신명선, 김정완 (2012). 노인신경언어장애 환자의 재활에 대한 언어치료사의 인식 조사, 언어치료연구, 21, 53-72.)