- Volume 17 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A Tool for Analyzing VM Creation Failure caused by Virtual Disk Faults
가상 디스크 결함에 의한 가상 머신 생성 실패 진단 및 분석 도구
- Ku, Min-O (School of Computer Science and Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Min, Dug-Ki (School of Computer Science and Engineering, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2012.08.02
- Accepted : 2012.08.19
- Published : 2012.09.30
In this paper, we present a tool (named VMBootFailMonitor) to detect and analyze a failure of a VM boot creation caused by faults on virtual disks of a Xen-based VM. Also, we presents an architecture and detail analysis process of the virtual disk faults in our tool. Especially, VMBootFailMonitor provides a causual analysis result for a case of VM creation failure based on three modules which performs virtual disk analysis, virtualized system analysis and system log analysis. We also support a comparison result between boot times of normal VMs and fault detection times of VM creation based on abnormal virtual disks. At result, our tool detects VM boot failures (3~6 seconds) within normal VM boot times (8~16 seconds).
본 논문에서는 가상화 기술 기반의 가상 컴퓨팅 환경에서 가상 디스크의 내 외부적 결함에 의한 가상 머신 생성 실패 감지 및 원인 분석 기능을 제공하는 도구 (VMBootFailMonitor)를 제시한다. 또한, 본 논문에서는 이러한 가상 디스크 결함으로 초래되는 가상 머신 생성 실패 및 실패 원인의 사례를 제공하며, Xen 기반의 가상화된 시스템 상에서 이를 분석하는 도구의 설계와 일련의 결함 분석 방법을 제공한다. 특히, VMBootFailMonitor는 가상 디스크 분석 모듈, 가상화된 시스템 분석 모듈 및 시스템 로그 분석 모듈을 기반으로 VM 생성 실패에 대한 원인 분석 결과를 제공한다. 그리고 본 논문에서는 가상 머신 운영체제의 정상 부트 시간과 본 논문에서 제시하는 도구를 통한 부트 실패 감지의 시간적 측면에서의 비교 결과를 제공한다. 본 실험 결과, 정상 가상 디스크 기반의 가상 머신 부트 완료 시간 (8~16초) 보다 짧은 3~6초대의 가상 머신 부트 실패 및 가상 디스크 오류 감지 결과를 나타내었다.
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- P. Mell and T. Grance, "NIST definition of cloud computing," National Institute of Standards and Technology, Oct. 2009.
- B. Dragovic, K. Fraser, S. Hand, T. Harris, A. Ho, I. Pratt, A. Warfield, P. Barham, R. Neugebauer, "Xen and the Art of Virtualization," In Proceedings of Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, pp. 164-177, Oct. 2003.
- A. Kivity, Y. Kamay, D. Laor, U. Lublin, and A. Liguori, "KVM: The Linux Virtual Machine Monitor," In Proceedings of the 2007 Ottawa Linux Symposium, pp. 225-230, Jun. 2007.
- VMware ESXi, http://www.vmware.com/esx/
- Microsoft Hyper-V, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/h yper-v-server
- OpenVIZ, http://www.openviz.com
- OpenStack Cloud Software. http://wiki.openstack.org.
- D. Nurmi, R. Wolski, C. Grzegorczyk, G. Obertelli, S. Soman, L. Youseff, and D. Zagorodnov, "The Eucalyptus Open-Source Cloud-Computing System," In Proceedings of the 9th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, pp. 124-131, May. 2009.
- B. Sotomayor, R. Montero, I. Llorente, and I. Foster, "Resource Leasing and the Art of Suspending Virtual Machines," In Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference High-Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC 09), pp. 59-68, Jun. 2009.
- Nimbus, http://www.nimbusproject.org
- L. Grit, D. Irwin, A. Yumerefendi and J. Chase, "Virtual Machine Hosting for Networked Clusters," In Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Virtualization Technology in Distributed Computing, Nov. 2006.
- R. N. Calheiros, R. Ranjan, C. A. F. D. Rose, and R. Buyya, "Cloudsim: A novel framework for modeling and simulation of cloud computing infrastructures and services," Grid Computing and Distributed Systems Laboratory, The University of Melbourne, Vol. abs/0903.2525, Mar. 2009.
- M. Isard, "Autopilot: automatic data center management," Operating Systems Review, Vol. 42, No. 2, Apr. 2007.
- N. Bhatia and J. Vetter, "Virtual Cluster Management with Xen," In Proceedings of the Euro-Par 2007 Workshops, LNCS 4854, pp. 185-194, Aug. 2007.
- D. Weng and M. A. Bauer, "Using Policies to Drive Autonomic Management of Virtual Systems," In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Network and Service Management, IEEE CNSM 2010, pp. 258-261, Oct. 2010.
- G. W. Dunlap, S. T. King, S. Cinar, M. Basrai, and P. M. Chen, "ReVirt: Enabling Intrusion Analysis through Virtual-Machine Logging and Replay," In Proceedings of the 5th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation, ACM Operating Systems Review, Winter 2002 Special Issue, pp. 211-224, Dec. 2002.
- S. T. King, G. W. Dunlap, and P. M. Chen, "Debugging operating systems with time-traveling virtual machines," In Proceedings of the 2005 USENIX Technical Conference, pp. 1-15, Apr. 2005.
- X. Jiang and X. Wang, "Out-of-the-Box monitoring of VM-based high-interaction honeypots," In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection, pp. 198-218, Sep. 2007.
- J. Chow, T. Garfinkel, and P. M. Chen, "Decoupling dynamic program analysis from execution in virtual environments," In Proceedings of USENIX 2008 Annual Technical Conference on Annual Technical Conference, pp.1-14, Jun. 2008.
- D. Pelleg, M. Ben-Yehuda, R. Harper, L. Spainhower and T. Adeshiyan, "Vigilant: out-of-band detection of failures in virtual machines," ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, Vol. 42, No. 1, Jan. 2008.
- H. Kang, H. Chen, and G. Jiang, "PeerWatch: A Fault Detection and Diagnosis Tool for Virtualized Consolidation Systems," In Proceedings of the 7th international conference on Autonomic computing, pp. 119-128, Jun. 2010.
- Bikash Sharma, Praveen Jayachandran, Akshat Verma, and Chita R. Das, "CloudPD: Problem Determination and Diagnosis in Shared Dynamic Clouds," CSE Technical Report, Pennsylvania State University, May. 2012.
- D. Gupta, R. Gardner, and L. Cherkasovah, "Xenmon: Qos monitoring and performance profiling tool," Technical Report HPL-2005-187, HP Labs, Oct. 2005.
- VMware vmkperf. Monitoring tool, http://labs.vmware.com/download/143
- VMware Powercli cmdlets, http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/Po werCLI/index.html
- S. Shah and J. G. Elerath, "Reliability analyses of disk disk failure mechanisms," In Proceedings of the IEEE Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, pp. 226-231, Jan. 2005.
- L. N. Bairavasundaram, G. R. Goodson, S. Pasupathy, and J. Schindler, "An Analysis of Latent Sector Errors in Disk disks," In Proceedings of the International Conference on Measurements and Modeling of Computer Systems, pp. 289-300, Jun. 2007.
- B. Schroeder, S. Damouras, and P. Gill, "Understanding latent sector errors and how to protect against them," ACM Transactions on Storage, Vol. 6, No. 3, Sep. 2010.
- Dongha Shin, Jiyeon Kim, "Implementation of Hypervisor for Virtualizing uC/OS-II Real Time Kernel," Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp.103-112, Nov. 2007.
- Sunghoon Son, Jaehyeon Lee, "Design and Implementation of Virtual Machine Monitor for Embedded Systems," Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.57-64, Jan. 2009.